X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OR Team DG: Captain's Meeting Discussion Topics

So from what I gather after reading the thread on the rules. The ones sitting on the table needing hashed out seem to be.

- Doubles, stay or go? A majority of posters suported the survival of doubles as do I. The conversation seemed to focus on The new Cali rule. I would expect dubs to stay, but still expect to discuss this at the meeting.

- The new CALI rule. "the CALI player get two throws from each lie" Was met with support from both sides. Either in favor of giving the CALI player an advantage by keeping the rule, or in favor of giving the "true" doubles team the advantage by changing the rule to "one extra throw per hole, 2 on par 4, etc.
    Expect to discuss this at the meeting.

- The replacement rule. Not yet drafted into the rules, I heard a lot about this rule last year. I think it would be best to nail down a serious definition of this rule to keeep the harmony. Expect to discuss this at the meeting.

Our team is all about the fun. We don't think it's fun to have a team lose a member and be penalized the rest of the season for it. Obviously there should be a limit on transactions, twice? Maybe some kind of point penalty based on the reason the person bailed?

- Courses While Jordan has set the schedule I am sure there will be a short discussion on distance in relation/length of drive. The Commish could nip this discussion right now but, expect to discuss this at the meeting.

-Finals scenarios A lot of discussion has brewed over this.

So to recap,

-Doubles
    -New CALI rule
    -Replacement Rule
    -Courses
    -Finals scenarios

Pretty much everything will be answered and discussed at the captain's meeting. I think the best way to keep things organized will be for everyone to add to the list of discussion topics. All captains (players make your captains aware if they don't frequent the boards) should make notes on the disussion topics so there will be more focused discussion.

I will be happy to help the commish by taking notes and assisting with organizing all you crazies at the meeting (myself included).

Please don't fill this thread with arguments just discussion TOPICS thanks.
    Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
    Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

I'll be a new captain, so I'll be unusually quiet during the meeting!
    After reading Darr's post my limited thoughts (have at that one!) are...
    Doubles- I hope it stays. Playing doubles will be a big part of the fun of a team with lots of family members.
    Cali- Perhaps a rating cutoff for whether a player gets 1 extra throw or two throws from each lie. It's never seemed fair an 850 player and 1000 rated have the same throws.
    Replacement- 2-3x after the Capt's mtg to end of season? If we all use ratings to play, is there any reason not to allow replacements?
    That's all I have. For now.

I can't wait to play TDG again!

Comment

No other topics?
      Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

Yes...

I want to discuss whether the 5th singles match should be mandatory or not (Jonesy brought it up first).

If it's mandatory then every team member is expected to show every weekend and play both rounds. Some people feel that this goes against one of the advantages of having seven team members, which is that if a team fields 6 players the most it'll lose is one point: the seven-player bonus. If the 5th singles is mandatory then your team could lose 3 points total: one for the seven-player bonus, and two for forfeiting the 5th singles match both rounds.

There were quite a few matches last year when Putt This did field seven players and the person who only played one round was glad to be able to go home early (or show up late). On the other hand I like having both rounds count for all team members who show up.

On the whole I like making it mandatory. It's worth trying for one season at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hemmerling View Post
          I want to discuss whether the 5th singles match should be mandatory or not (Jonesy brought it up first).

If it's mandatory then every team member is expected to show every weekend and play both rounds. Some people feel that this goes against one of the advantages of having seven team members, which is that if a team fields 6 players the most it'll lose is one point: the seven-player bonus. If the 5th singles is mandatory then your team could lose 3 points total: one for the seven-player bonus, and two for forfeiting the 5th singles match both rounds.

There were quite a few matches last year when Putt This did field seven players and the person who only played one round was glad to be able to go home early (or show up late). On the other hand I like having both rounds count for all team members who show up.

On the whole I like making it mandatory. It's worth trying for one season at least.
          I cant believe im going to agree with Jeff on this one but I agree so lets try it.
          X - Man

Comment

Did we have 2 singles and 2 doubles each round last year? What is the purpose of only having 1 doubles match each round. I know on our team everyone likes to play the dubs. Is that a topic Darr? I guess the other related topic would be the must play singles to be eligible for doubles. Still a rule? (yes, I could look it up)

Comment

Originally posted by Celeste View Post
              Did we have 2 singles and 2 doubles each round last year? What is the purpose of only having 1 doubles match each round. I know on our team everyone likes to play the dubs. Is that a topic Darr?
              Since Jordan has run things, and maybe longer, the format has been 4 singles and 1 doubles each round (6 players). He is proposing adding a 5th singles match each round so that all 7 players can/should play both rounds.

Originally posted by Celeste View Post
              I guess the other related topic would be the must play singles to be eligible for doubles. Still a rule? (yes, I could look it up)
              Yes, it's definitely still a rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hemmerling View Post
                Since Jordan has run things, and maybe longer, the format has been 4 singles and 1 doubles each round (6 players). He is proposing adding a 5th singles match each round so that all 7 players can/should play both rounds.
                The first year the whole team played dubs in the morning and singles in the afternoon...
                Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                Or does here stand the last remaining man
                To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

I like playing dubs but I think its too hard to handicap fairly enough to warrant two dubs and only 3 singles.

How's about this idea: match play!

Make the fifth singles match a match play format or even two singles. Three singles stroke play, two singles match play, and one doubles. That could be fun. Could the handicap work the same? Not sure if it would be fair if someone have to give 19 strokes/holes on an 18 hole course...

Just think about the new strategies that could unfold!

Comment

Originally posted by Darr View Post
                    UPDATED
                    -Doubles
                    -New CALI rule
                    -Replacement rule
                    -Courses
                    -Finals scenarios
                    -5th singles match?

Sunday captains:
                    Jordan Lewis
                    Jeff Hemmerling
                    Camo Mike Niemi
                    Tom T-Ry Rybloom
                    Kel Carver
                    Jason McGrew
                    Celeste Scandiffio
                    Denny Ax
                    George Adams
                    Victor Cervantes

Saturday captains:
                    Dan Denny
                    Dan Brown
                    Cindy McMahan
                    Will Odom
                    Scott Searles
                    Troy Grotte
                    Wes Hansen
                    David Zimmerman
                    Jason Saui Sauermilch
                    Keith Shupp

The captains should be aware of the hit list so they may discuss it with their team prior to the meeting. Let's try and keep this meeting to the point.
                    Last edited by Darr; September 22nd, 2010, 11:06 PM. Reason: added a captain
                    Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Darr View Post
                      Sunday captains:
                      Jordan Lewis
                      Camo Mike Niemi
                      Tom T-Ry Rybloom
                      Kel Carver
                      Jason McGrew
                      Celeste Scandiffio
                      Denny Ax
                      George Adams
                      Victor Cervantes

Saturday captains:
                      Dan Denny
                      Dan Brown
                      Cindy McMahan
                      Will Odom
                      Scott Searles
                      Troy Grotte
                      Wes Hansen
                      David Zimmerman
                      Jason Saui Sauermilch
                      Keith Shupp

The captains should be aware of the hit list so they may discuss it with their team prior to the meeting. Let's try and keep this meeting to the point.
                      Only 9 Sunday captains?

Comment

Originally posted by jevon View Post
                        Only 9 Sunday captains?
                        You forgot old man Hemmerling!

Comment

When do final rosters have to be submitted? I know some teams have people as place holders and it may be a good idea to deal with these before the prelims.

Comment

Originally posted by DanD View Post
                            When do final rosters have to be submitted? I know some teams have people as place holders and it may be a good idea to deal with these before the prelims.
                            The Prelims is when the final rosters have to be submitted. Any changes after that will count toward whatever the limit turns out to be.
                            Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                            Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                            Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                            Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                            Or does here stand the last remaining man
                            To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                            No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                            Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                            Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by jevon View Post
                              You forgot old man Hemmerling!
                              Thanks for having my back!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X