Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to be difficult but it seems to me this new doubles rule may end up being more difficult and more unfair to all teams............. With that being said, I will stop complaining until we see how it works.

I do have a question: Can someone play Cali in the doubles round?

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzel View Post
      Not to be difficult but it seems to me this new doubles rule may end up being more difficult and more unfair to all teams............. With that being said, I will stop complaining until we see how it works.
      No need to hold back, what are your thoughts?

Originally posted by Pizzel View Post
      I do have a question: Can someone play Cali in the doubles round?
      As long as at least 1 of the 2 teams in the match can field 6 players in any round the opposing team can have 1 player play Cali if they can only field 5 players in that round.

Oh, and we changed the Cali rule to the more liberal "1 extra throw per hole" interpretation instead of last year which was best of 2 drives on each hole played out regularly from there. So this year you can take your good drive and get 2 upshots or two putts if you need.
      Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
      Remain ye men of faculty complete,
      Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
      Attending to our noble bond and contract?
      Or does here stand the last remaining man
      To give a fig for rules and order yet,
      No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
      Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
      I値l not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pizzel;3444]Not to be difficult but it seems to me this new doubles rule may end up being more difficult and more unfair to all teams............. QUOTE]

From a member of a less than 800 avg. rated team I'll second that statement. Even if we put our best rated players up for dubs we'd have little chance against most teams.

I already lost about 2 strokes a round handicap with my new rating from Pier.

That said woohoo Team Golf. If I lost every match I'd be back next year!

Comment

Originally posted by Celeste View Post
          From a member of a less than 800 avg. rated team I'll second that statement. Even if we put our best rated players up for dubs we'd have little chance against most teams.
          Yeah but last year you'd have little chance of winning AND you'd have to give strokes to the opponent...

Comment

I've got a real problem with doubles this year. There is absolutely
            no motivation for a team to play the doubles round if they are rated
            much lower than the opposing doubles team. This rewards higher rated
            teams and penalizes lower rated teams (as pointed out by Celeste).
            This season's strategy: wait to see who the other doubles team is and
            if we don't like the match-up I'll just send my extra players home.
            Not much fun in my not-so-humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hemmerling View Post
              This season's strategy: wait to see who the other doubles team is and if we don't like the match-up I'll just send my extra players home.
              That would be hugely disrespectful to the other competitors. There's your incentive.
              Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hemmerling View Post
                I've got a real problem with doubles this year. There is absolutely
                no motivation for a team to play the doubles round if they are rated
                much lower than the opposing doubles team. This rewards higher rated
                teams and penalizes lower rated teams (as pointed out by Celeste).
                This season's strategy: wait to see who the other doubles team is and
                if we don't like the match-up I'll just send my extra players home.
                Not much fun in my not-so-humble opinion.
                Seems to me just another aspect of the game that requires strategy. Do you save the higher rated players for the dubs rounds and risk losing the singles rounds? Do you use all of your top rated players to make sure that you win the singles and then hope to get the dubs match with the lower rated players?

There is no requirement to field players in the extra dubs match, but if they are present, wouldn't playing usually be the choice instead of not playing? The dubs team with no matchup only has to complete 1 hole better than +4 to take the match point.

Regardless, we are only talking about 2 out of 12 possible points coming from dubs. But I want to make the competition as fair as possible.

What if we adopted the Dizzy Rule on this year's dubs? Does even that address the problem of lower rated players playing higher rated players in dubs? Should we handicap the dubs too? Maybe use the highest player rating. This should have been hashed out earlier, but we haven't started yet. If you have an opinion I'd really like to hear from you.

My thinking on this year's dubs was will the new format increase the number of players who show at each event?

Comment

i think that we handicap the dubs too and use the highest player rating as the rating for that team
                  and buy the way look out for TEAM VAPOR TRAILS we're coming for you all

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post

If a player competes in ANY of the matches at least once they count toward the bonus. So if you have 6 players for the first round, then you only have to work the 7th player into the second round somewhere to qualify for the 7-man Bonus Point.
                    The 7-man point should not be possible unless all 7 players play in a singles match that way their rating is adjusted each time they show up. This way there aren't players that play the entire season with the same low rating.

Comment

Originally posted by Brody Cannon View Post
                      The 7-man point should not be possible unless all 7 players play in a singles match that way their rating is adjusted each time they show up. This way there aren't players that play the entire season with the same low rating.
                      Damn you got good ideas kid!

I may have to go with that idea too.

Any more?

Comment

I like Brody's idea, too. I thought that that was a given so that people could not hide in doubles.
                        的 believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, that痴 in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, I値l know I知 a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? I知 not sure, but it痴 possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.
                        ~Annika Srenstam

Comment

Damn you got good ideas kid!

I may have to go with that idea too.

Any more?
                          I can't think of any more ideas but I have opinions about all the topics. I'll discuss them with you tomorrow morning.

Comment

Seems to me just another aspect of the
                            game that requires strategy. Do you save the higher rated players for
                            the dubs rounds and risk losing the singles rounds? Do you use all of
                            your top rated players to make sure that you win the singles and then
                            hope to get the dubs match with the lower rated players?
                            I agree but not it's a compelling reason to not handicap doubles.

There is no requirement to field players
                            in the extra dubs match, but if they are present, wouldn't playing
                            usually be the choice instead of not playing? The dubs team with no
                            matchup only has to complete 1 hole better than +4 to take the match
                            point.
                            I didn't realize that if team A can field two players and team B
                            couldn't (or wouldn't) then team A got a point by default. I don't
                            like that because if a team can only field 4 players for the day they
                            are automatically going to lose 2 points against a team that fields 6
                            or 7. This turns team golf into somewhat of an attendence contest.
                            We already have a bonus point for all 7 playing.

Regardless, we are only talking about 2
                            out of 12 possible points coming from dubs. But I want to make the
                            competition as fair as possible.
                            So do I. That's what I'm ranting about.

What if we adopted the Dizzy Rule on this
                            year's dubs? Does even that address the problem of lower rated players
                            playing higher rated players in dubs? Should we handicap the dubs too?
                            Maybe use the highest player rating. This should have been hashed out
                            earlier, but we haven't started yet. If you have an opinion I'd really
                            like to hear from you.
                            I think using the highest rated player's rating for handicapping is
                            the most fair. It encourages the partner's ratings to be as close
                            together as possible which eliminates the problem we've had the last
                            two years.

My thinking on this year's dubs was will
                            the new format increase the number of players who show at each
                            event?
                            I agree. I really like the additional doubles and want it be fair to
                            the lower rated teams (use handicaps) and to make the
                            handicapping fair (use highest rated player).

Thanks for reading.

Comment

I like Brody's idea too: all 7 players must play singles to get the bonus point. Keeps the ratings more accurate.

Comment

Final Draft TDG Rules 08-09

1. Teams
                                1.1. Team Disc Golf 08-09 will consist of 10 teams in 2 divisions: East & West. Each team will compete in Match Play against each of the other teams in their division once and 3 of the other 5 teams once.
                                1.1.1. Each team must consist of 7 players. Any 7 players can make up a team, but players on the starting roster are the only ones eligible to compete for your team all year long.
                                1.1.2. There are no substitutes or replacement players allowed, even due to injury.
                                1.2. Division assignment will be determined by seeding by scores at the first event.
                                1.2.1. The East division champion will play the West Division champion one match for the Team Disc Golf Championship. At the same Championship match all of the other teams will play off for 3rd through 10th place finishes.
                                1.2.1.1. The team in each division with the most Match Points will be the division champion.
                                1.2.1.1.1. First Tie Breaker will be Head-to-Head Match Points.
                                1.2.1.1.2. Second Tie Breaker will be Total Head-to-Head strokes.
                                1.2.1.1.3. Third Tie Breaker will be higher Team rating total.
                                1.2.1.1.4. Fourth Tie Breaker will be coin flip.
                                2. Player Ratings
                                2.1. Each team member has a Player Rating. A player痴 current PDGA Rating sets their beginning rating for the Team Disc Golf season. The score in the first event will adjust the rating as ((PDGA Rating*4)+New Rating)/5.
                                2.1.1. For any player who does not have a current PDGA player rating, the score in the first event shall set their player rating. If they are returning players, that score will be averaged with their final ratings from last year as ((Final Rating*4)+New Rating)/5.
                                2.1.2. Player ratings will be modified during the season based on play. All player痴 singles matches will adjust their ratings for the following event.
                                2.1.3. When a PDGA player rating update happens, those ratings will be used at the next event replacing the modified ratings from the previous event for PDGA members.
                                2.2. Handicap: When a player with a higher rating plays against a player with a lower rating the higher rated player has a handicap based on the difference between the ratings during their singles match.
                                2.2.1. Based on the SSA of the course being played the number of rating points per stroke are determined:
                                SSA of 42-43 = 14 ratings points per stroke
                                SSA of 44-45 = 13 ratings points per stroke
                                SSA of 46-47 = 12 ratings points per stroke
                                SSA of 48-49 = 11 ratings points per stroke
                                SSA of 50-54 = 10 ratings points per stroke
                                SSA of 55-59 = 9 ratings points per stroke
                                SSA of 60-64 = 8 ratings points per stroke
                                SSA of 65-67 = 7 ratings points per stroke
                                SSA of 68-71 = 6 ratings points per stroke
                                2.2.1.1. Team 1 fields a 940 rated player while Team 2 fields a 975 rated player (975-940=35). On a course with a 50 SSA Team 2 has a 3 stroke handicap (35/10=3.5).
                                3. Match Play
                                3.1. We will follow the PDGA Rule Book for Singles and Best Shot Doubles competition with regard to actual play. If it痴 in their rule book then that痴 how we値l deal with it. 804.05 A(4) is not used during Team Disc Golf.
                                3.2. A match consists of two rounds of four singles matches. In each round a team can use any four players on its roster.
                                3.2.1 Bonus Match - If, after fielding 4 players in any 1 round, a team can field two other players they can compete for an extra point by playing a doubles round.
                                3.2.1.1 The rating of the highest player in the Dubs is used for the handicap.
                                3.2.2 If the opponent cannot field two extra players, they may have 1 extra player play Cali. If the opponent has no extra players they forfeit the Bonus Match point.
                                3.2.3 If neither team can field the two extra players the Bonus Match point cannot be earned.
                                3.3. Each match will have a 滴ome Team for the purposes of selecting the match-ups only; there is no other use for the 滴ome Team designation.
                                3.3.1. In Round One the Visiting Team selects the players who will compete in the round first. Then the Home Team selects the players who compete against them.
                                3.3.2. In Round Two the Home Team selects the players who will compete in the round first. Then the Visiting Team selects the players who compete against them.
                                3.4. In both rounds the Visiting Team throws first until they lose the tee.
                                3.5. All tied morning matches will NOT play to a decision using sudden death. The Match Point shall be split evenly.
                                3.6. All afternoon matches must play to a decision using sudden death if necessary, starting on the next logical hole from where you ended the match. Do not return to central, just play on to finish it.
                                3.6.1. The only exception to this rule is in case of darkness. The match can be called due to darkness as a tie with the point being split evenly between the teams.
                                4. Scoring
                                4.1. Each match is worth 1 point for a total of 4 points possible per round.
                                4.1.1. If less than 4 players are available, you can field what you have and forfeit the match points for matches you don稚 have players to compete. All forfeited matches count as 108 strokes towards any tie breaker.
                                4.1.1.1. In Doubles: One person can play California, picking only one shot on each hole to take a second throw.
                                4.2. Match Point: The team with the most points earns 1 extra point for winning the match.
                                4.2.1. Ties: In the event of a tie, all strokes, including handicap strokes, from the round are added up by each team and the team with the lowest number of total strokes wins the match point.
                                4.2.1.1. If that is tied then lower total team rating wins the match point.
                                4.3. GBP Team Bonus: One bonus point is awarded to any team that plays all 7 of its team members in a singles match. In other words, if your team has seven people and all seven of them play in at least one singles round during a match, your team receives one bonus point. The Team bonus point is not awarded until after the Match Point is decided.
                                5. Schedule:
                                5.1. All teams will play 7 matches over the course of the Team Disc Golf season from October to February. All teams will play their matches on the same day at the same course. The 7 courses to be used in Team Disc Golf this year are: Riverbend, Timber, Dabney, Pier, Adair, Sorosis and Trojan.
                                5.2. The start time for the first round starts at 9 am. In the months with shorter daylight that can be as early as 8 or 8:30 am. The start time of the second round is 1 pm allowing for a lunch break.
                                5.2.1. Optionally the second round can start immediately after the first round with the approval of the two team captains.
                                5.3. Team Disc Golf matches will be held on Sundays:
                                5.3.1. Prelims - Sunday October 19th: Pier Park 2 rounds of 18 holes
                                5.3.1.1. Match-up: All play singles to set ratings and seed divisions
                                5.3.2. Week 1 - Sunday November 2nd: Sorosis Park 2 rounds of 18 holes
                                5.3.2.1. Match-up: PT! @ DH; GBP @ WS; RR @ VT; AC @ GBS; BW @ D&D
                                5.3.3. Week 2 - Sunday November 16th: Riverbend @ Milo McIver State Park 2 rounds of 18 holes
                                5.3.3.1. Match-up: VT @ PT!; WS @ GBS; D&D @ RR; GBP @ AC; DH @ BW
                                5.3.4. Week 3 - Sunday November 30th: Adair County Park 2 rounds of 18 holes
                                5.3.4.1. Match-up: PT! @ WS; D&D @ AC; DH @ GBP; VT @ GBS; RR @ BW
                                5.3.5. Week 4 - Sunday December 7th: Dabney State Park 2 rounds of 18 holes
                                5.3.5.1. Match-up: D&D @ PT!; WS @ AC; RR @ DH; GBS @ BW; VT @ GBP
                                5.3.6. Week 5 - Sunday January 4th: Timber Park - 2 rounds of 18 holes
                                5.3.6.1. Match-up: PT! @ RR; BW @ WS; DH @ D&D; GBS @ GBP; AC @ VT
                                5.3.7. Week 6 - Sunday January 18th: Riverbend @ Milo McIver State Park - 2 rounds of 18 holes
                                5.3.7.1. Match-up: AC @ PT!; WS @ D&D; VT @ DH; GBP @ BW; GBS @ RR
                                5.3.8. Week 7 - Sunday February 8th: Trojan Park 2 rounds of 18 holes
                                5.3.8.1. Match-up: RR @ PT!; DH @ WS; D&D @ VT; BW @ AC; PT! @ GBS
                                5.4. The 2 teams that win their divisions will play one match to decide the Team Disc Golf Championship. The second place teams play off for third, the third place teams play off for fifth and the fourth place teams play off for seventh.
                                5.4.1. Championship Week - Sunday February 22nd: Championships: Riverbend @ Milo McIver State Park 2 rounds of 18 holes
                                6. Late Penalty:
                                6.1. When start is called you may begin your round. Score each hole of the opposing team with 7痴 until they arrive at the tee of a hole that no second shots have been taken.

Enjoy!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X