Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, no... this is a team league in that your results impact 6 other people. Just because there is no doubles doesn't mean that that changes at all.

I definitely think it is worth giving it a try and if it proves unpopular, we could always add doubles back in next year. Anyway, if your team sticks around, you get to play doubles, too...
    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hemmerling View Post
      Removing doubles from match play is a big mistake. That's why this is a team league. I had no problem with your (Jordan's) doubles rating proposal that penalized pairings with a large rating difference. Or simply rate the team at 75% or 66% of the rating difference.
      The biggest drawback of doing the dubs a different way is the complexity of figuring out the handicaps. I am trying to make the league easier to run so someone can run it on Saturday. If we make it a complex algorithm we'd need a smart disc golfer to step up and run it, and I'm not so sure we have a smart disc golfer running the Sunday side of the league!
      Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
      Remain ye men of faculty complete,
      Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
      Attending to our noble bond and contract?
      Or does here stand the last remaining man
      To give a fig for rules and order yet,
      No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
      Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
      Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
        OK, first off: How does Team Disc Golf equal playing doubles?

And because we all love the dubs, I have a provision for a dubs match each round if enough players show up for it.
        I don't think team golf means playing doubles. I think because of playing lots of team sports I have a preconcieved idea of what a team is. I'm sure I can get that warm fuzy team feeling another way.

I like this idea. Those who really want to play dubs (me) have extra incentive to harrass their team into showing up. woo hoo to bonus dubs!

Comment

I agree that we should keep doubles. For me, that's the most 'team' oriented aspect of the matches.

How about this for handicapping doubles, (Since this is what I thought you were suggesting anyway), make a ratings limit for all doubles teams, (say, perhaps their ratings combined could be no lower than 1750 or something), and then ONLY handicap the highest rated players on each doubles team, and make that the TEAM handicap.

I don't know, I'm just spitting against the wall here. I'd really hate to see doubles eliminated.

p.s. - as I recall, when TDG started there were no handicaps, and players were assigned a point value for their 'division'. Perhaps we we go back to that? (I know there were probably problems with said system, but again, just throwing out ideas here.) Kyle
          Last edited by Kyle; October 6th, 2008, 01:16 PM.

Comment

It's NOT being eliminated. It is being used for bonus points.

There will be just as much doubles this year as there was in previous years, in fact.

ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
              p.s. - as I recall, when TDG started there were no handicaps, and players were assigned a point value for their 'division'. Perhaps we we go back to that? (I know there were probably problems with said system, but again, just throwing out ideas here.) Kyle
              And then there is no benefit to having lower rated players on your team! That format was created by Rolland so he could get all of the best Pro Masters together on one team and beat everybody. And when someone else made a similar team to compete he took his trophy and went home.

We could go back to that format, but then I'd have to institute new rules to force each team to have 1 MPO, 1 MMO, 1 MA1, 1 MA2, 1 MA3, 1 Female and 1 'extra' player from any division. I'd prefer to let people make their own teams with their friends and handicap it by PDGA rating to make it competitive.

And as Sam mentioned we are still having dubs as long as enough team members show up to each match.

Comment

I look forward to losing matches against a bunch of you, and then later telling all of your friends that we beat you/slept with you.

It's going to be awesome.
                Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by proto something or other View Post
                  I look forward to losing matches against a bunch of you, and then later telling all of your friends that we beat you/slept with you.

It's going to be awesome.
                  I thought we were keeping that a secret!

But every time you play your rating will be adjusted, so sooner or later you'll only have to play better than your adjusted rating!

Comment

Jordan,

I know about the dubs this year...I spoke with Dizzy and he mentioned something for the Dubs.

Here is Dizzy's $.02

You can make a rule called the (D-A Rule...otherwise known as the Dizzy-Amanda Rule) You can't play with someone that is less than 100pts, 75pts, or even more strict 50pts apart. This could eliminate the huge stroke difference between teams.

Dizzy won't be able to play with Amanda...may not even play with Chompy . Just a thought from Dizzy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Madrid View Post
                      Jordan,

I know about the dubs this year...I spoke with Dizzy and he mentioned something for the Dubs.

Here is Dizzy's $.02

You can make a rule called the (D-A Rule...otherwise known as the Dizzy-Amanda Rule) You can't play with someone that is less than 100pts, 75pts, or even more strict 50pts apart. This could eliminate the huge stroke difference between teams.

Dizzy won't be able to play with Amanda...may not even play with Chompy . Just a thought from Dizzy.
                      At first glance I like this idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post

And as Sam mentioned we are still having dubs as long as enough team members show up to each match.
                        SWEEEET idea!
                        My question is, do players who participate in the doubles match count toward the seven man point?
                        Also, if our seven show up and the other team fields four for the morning, do we get a freebie provided our extras PLAY a doubles round?
                        Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
                        Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

A$$hole Casserole will drink all your beer and get messy on your discs. That is all.

Comment

So...

Anyone else still a bit confused on the new rules?

Jordan, what is your latest take on the new dubs policy for this Sunday. Are we going ahead with your new bonus point/match idea or reverting back to last year's rules with modifications?

Under your new rules, does a bonus dubs matchup qualify for a player's participation in the team match (to help the team earn the bonus point for fielding all seven players)--or do all seven players have to compete in at least one of the proposed eight singles matches?

Sorry about how dense I'm being here...

Comment

Not a problem.
                              Originally posted by Bluedisc View Post
                              Are we going ahead with your new bonus point/match idea or reverting back to last year's rules with modifications?
                              We are going with the new dubs rule. If at least 1 team can field 6 players then the extra dubs point can be played for. Straight up, no handicaps.

Under your new rules, does a bonus dubs matchup qualify for a player's participation in the team match (to help the team earn the bonus point for fielding all seven players)--or do all seven players have to compete in at least one of the proposed eight singles matches?
                              If a player competes in ANY of the matches at least once they count toward the bonus. So if you have 6 players for the first round, then you only have to work the 7th player into the second round somewhere to qualify for the 7-man Bonus Point.

Sorry about how dense I'm being here...
                              Not dense, just trying to apply rules on paper to how the game works. Questions are always welcome, and hopefully my explanations help instead of confuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzel View Post
                                Originally posted by Kevin Madrid
                                Here is Dizzy's $.02

At first glance I like this idea!
                                Let's try the new rules this year and if they don't work as well as we'd like them to, then we'll try the Dizzy rules next year.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X