X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014-15 ORTDG Rule Changes

Here are some proposed rule changes for the 2014-15 season of Oregon Team Disc Golf.
    Most of these have been suggested by at least two captains. A few are my own ideas.
    Please quote just the rule you want to discuss to keep this thread compact.
    Feel free to propose your own ideas!
    1. Make 7 players required each round (5 singles, 1 doubles match). Allow 8 players per round with 4 singles, 2 doubles matches.
    2. Switch the home & away team listing order:
      - Home (in left column of match sheet) will list 1st in AM, 2nd in PM;
      - Visitor (in right column of match sheet) will list 2nd in AM, 1st in PM.
      I believe that making the matchups in response to the other team listing first is an advantage. This advantage is of more utility in the PM round when the morning scores are already known. This home team advantage should be given in the PM round instead of the AM round.
    3. Allow match ties when match points and total strokes are equal. Do not use total team rating as tie-breaker.
    4. Use the actual SSA of each round to determine the RPS for setting handicaps after-the-fact. We will have a pretty accurate idea of the RPS before matches start but there are always 1-2 matches per year when the actual RPS differs from the one we use.
    5. Team size, substitutions:
      a. Expand team size to 9 players. This allows for 2 players to be "absent" and still play 7 for the bonus.
      b. Allow one or two player replacements per year?
    6. To use a PDGA rating for a player's starting rating they must have PDGA membership *before* the first match.
    7. Change the new-player requirement to 3 rated matches before the semis, not the finals. I.e., a player must play three rated rounds during the regular season to qualify for the playoffs (semis and finals).
    8. Eliminate the two 5-team divisions in favor of one 10-team conference each day. The semi-finals for each day will then be 1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th, etc.
    Last edited by Jeff Hemmerling; August 27th, 2014, 02:09 PM. Reason: Missing word added.

Team size, substitutions: a. Expand team size to 9 players. This allows for 2 players to be "absent" and still play 7 for the bonus. *I am torn on this one. On one hand there are so many people who want to play TDG, but on the other hand it would be hard to choose who does not play any given week for those teams that have a group of dedicated members. Plus it kinda takes away the reward for those teams that do have dedicated members who show up each and every week. Ultimately I say leave it at 8 counting 7 for the bonus. To use a PDGA rating for a player's starting rating they must have PDGA membership *before* the first match. *Is this saying you have to be current before the first match to use a PDGA rating? *Will teams no longer be able to take an average of PDGA rated rounds from the previous year to determine TDG ratings for new TDG players who are non PDGA members, or not current? *If so I am not sure I like this one because there are those players out there who are not current or not PDGA members, and have no desire to be PDGA members, but still play in PDGA events. Cindy
    Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
    2013 Chick Flick co-TD
    Stumptown #176
    PDGA #37716

Comment

One of the first things we need to decide upon is the schedule. Some people have noticed that we will be taking nearly a month off for the winter break this year and the finals are the first weekend in March. The only way to avoid this is to play our first event of the second half of the season on 12/27-28/14. That means anybody who is out of town for Christmas will not be able to compete in that week's event. I opted for extending the season instead of scheduling that weekend. But we should put it up for a vote I think.

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
      Remain ye men of faculty complete,
      Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
      Attending to our noble bond and contract?
      Or does here stand the last remaining man
      To give a fig for rules and order yet,
      No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
      Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
      Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Make 7 players required each round (4 singles, 1 doubles match). Allow 8 players per round with 4 singles, 2 doubles matches.

Could you expand on what is meant by "required" (particularly because 4 singles + 1 doubles = 6 players). Is there a change in how many players need to show up to avoid forfeiting one or more matches?

Comment

Originally posted by tmk View Post

Could you expand on what is meant by "required" (particularly because 4 singles + 1 doubles = 6 players). Is there a change in how many players need to show up to avoid forfeiting one or more matches?
          Good catch. I meant 5 singles, 1 doubles. Fixed in original post. Thanks!

Comment

I would like to see the roster change to 9 players and have one person that can substitute at any match. I think the 1 permanent roster change is fine. 5 singles and 1 dubs required or a point is lost to take care or people that try and bend the rules. Possibly have dubs worth 2 points to put more pressure on dubs partners?? I'll have more questions or replies tonight.

Comment

The Discrupters' captain votes as shown below;
              1. Make 7 players required each round (5 singles, 1 doubles match). Allow 8 players per round with 4 singles, 2 doubles matches. YES PLEASE!
                I believe that making the matchups in response to the other team listing first is an advantage. This advantage is of more utility in the PM round when the morning scores are already known. This home team advantage should be given in the PM round instead of the AM round. SOUNDS GOOD.
              3. Allow match ties when match points total strokes are equal. Do not use total team rating as tie-breaker. AGREED.
              4. Use the actual SSA of each round to determine the RPS for setting handicaps after-the-fact. We will have a pretty accurate idea of the RPS before matches start but there are always 1-2 matches per year when the actual RPS differs from the one we use. NO.
                a. Expand team size to 9 players. This allows for 2 players to be "absent" and still play 7 for the bonus. NO
                b. Allow one or two player replacements per year? TWO.
              6. To use a PDGA rating for a player's starting rating they must have PDGA membership *before* the first match. YES.
              7. Change the new-player requirement to 3 rated matches before the semis, not the finals. I.e., a player must play three rated rounds during the regular season to qualify for the playoffs (semis and finals). YES.
              8. Eliminate the two 5-team divisions in favor of one 10-team conference each day. The semi-finals for each day will then be 1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th, etc. NO VOTE or PROXY to JLewis.

#1 should be the priority!

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Hansen View Post
                The Discrupters' captain votes as shown below;
                1. Make 7 players required each round (5 singles, 1 doubles match). Allow 8 players per round with 4 singles, 2 doubles matches. YES PLEASE!
                  I believe that making the matchups in response to the other team listing first is an advantage. This advantage is of more utility in the PM round when the morning scores are already known. This home team advantage should be given in the PM round instead of the AM round. SOUNDS GOOD.
                3. Allow match ties when match points total strokes are equal. Do not use total team rating as tie-breaker. AGREED.
                4. Use the actual SSA of each round to determine the RPS for setting handicaps after-the-fact. We will have a pretty accurate idea of the RPS before matches start but there are always 1-2 matches per year when the actual RPS differs from the one we use. NO.
                  a. Expand team size to 9 players. This allows for 2 players to be "absent" and still play 7 for the bonus. NO
                  b. Allow one or two player replacements per year? TWO.
                6. To use a PDGA rating for a player's starting rating they must have PDGA membership *before* the first match. YES.
                7. Change the new-player requirement to 3 rated matches before the semis, not the finals. I.e., a player must play three rated rounds during the regular season to qualify for the playoffs (semis and finals). YES.
                8. Eliminate the two 5-team divisions in favor of one 10-team conference each day. The semi-finals for each day will then be 1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th, etc. NO VOTE or PROXY to JLewis.

#1 should be the priority!

Thanks for your input Wes. Anybody else?

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                Or does here stand the last remaining man
                To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

ODW weighs in....

1.Make 7 players required each round (5 singles, 1 doubles match). Allow 8 players per round with 4 singles, 2 doubles matches. ***NO - this adds a layer of confusion we don't need***

2.Switch the home and away team listing order: - Home (in left column of match sheet) will list 1st in AM, 2nd in PM; - Visitor (in right column of match sheet) will list 2nd in AM, 1st in PM. I believe that making the matchups in response to the other team listing first is an advantage. This advantage is of more utility in the PM round when the morning scores are already known. This home team advantage should be given in the PM round instead of the AM round. ***YES***

3.Allow match ties when match points total strokes are equal. Do not use total team rating as tie-breaker.
                  ***NO - most of the courses we play already favor lower rated teams, we should reward teams for playing to their full rating***

4.Use the actual SSA of each round to determine the RPS for setting handicaps after-the-fact. We will have a pretty accurate idea of the RPS before matches start but there are always 1-2 matches per year when the actual RPS differs from the one we use. ***NO - we're close enough, sheesh***

5.Team size, substitutions: ***NO***
                  a. Expand team size to 9 players. This allows for 2 players to be "absent" and still play 7 for the bonus.
                  b. Allow one or two player replacements per year?

6.To use a PDGA rating for a player's starting rating they must have PDGA membership *before* the first match. ***YES***

7.Change the new-player requirement to 3 rated matches before the semis, not the finals. I.e., a player must play three rated rounds during the regular season to qualify for the playoffs (semis and finals). ****YES***

8.Eliminate the two 5-team divisions in favor of one 10-team conference each day. The semi-finals for each day will then be 1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th, etc. ***YES***

Comment

**Born2bfly** [QUOTE=Jeff Hemmerling;n241664]Here are some proposed rule changes for the 2014-15 season of Oregon Team Disc Golf. Most of these have been suggested by at least two captains. A few are my own ideas. Please quote just the rule you want to discuss to keep this thread compact. Feel free to propose your own ideas![LIST=1][*]Make 7 players required each round (5 singles, 1 doubles match). Allow 8 players per round with 4 singles, 2 doubles matches. **Yes**[*]Switch the home & away team listing order: - Home (in left column of match sheet) will list 1st in AM, 2nd in PM; - Visitor (in right column of match sheet) will list 2nd in AM, 1st in PM. I believe that making the matchups in response to the other team listing first is an advantage. This advantage is of more utility in the PM round when the morning scores are already known. This home team advantage should be given in the PM round instead of the AM round. **Yes**[*]Allow match ties when match points and total strokes are equal. Do not use total team rating as tie-breaker. **Agree**[*]Use the actual SSA of each round to determine the RPS for setting handicaps after-the-fact. We will have a pretty accurate idea of the RPS before matches start but there are always 1-2 matches per year when the actual RPS differs from the one we use. **Yes**[*]Team size, substitutions: **No** a. Expand team size to 9 players. This allows for 2 players to be "absent" and still play 7 for the bonus. b. Allow one or two player replacements per year?[*]To use a PDGA rating for a player's starting rating they must have PDGA membership *before* the first match. **Yes**[*]Change the new-player requirement to 3 rated matches before the semis, not the finals. I.e., a player must play three rated rounds during the regular season to qualify for the playoffs (semis and finals). **Yes**[*]Eliminate the two 5-team divisions in favor of one 10-team conference each day. The semi-finals for each day will then be 1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th, etc.**YES**

Comment

As much as I hate to say it ..... I agree with Wes on everything ..... Vapor trails Votes the same as discruptors

Comment

Team Skinny (via Denny Ax) votes:

1. 7-players per round required.
                        YES

2. Switch home & away listing order.
                        NO PREFERENCE

3. Allow match ties.
                        YES

4. Use actual SSA.
                        NO

5a. Expand team to 9 players
                        YES!
                        5b. Change number of player replacements
                        UNLIMITED

6. PDGA rating required before first match.
                        YES

7. 3 rounds in regular season for playoff qualification.
                        YES

8. Use 10-team conference instead of 5-team divisions.
                        YES
                        Last edited by Jeff Hemmerling; August 31st, 2014, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Putt This votes:

YES

YES

3. Allow match ties.
                          YES

4. Use actual SSA.
                          YES

YES
                          2 per season

YES

YES

YES

Comment

We need more teams to vote!! So far I've heard from (thank you!):

Discrupters
                            Vapor Trails
                            Team Skinny
                            Putt This
                            Born2BFly
                            ODW
                            Hot Poop (team size only)
                            Independence DG (team size only)

The polls will close next Friday (9/12/14).

In particular, if the team size is going to change the captains need time to find a 9th player.
                            I'll contact Rockwood and GBP by phone this weekend.

Results so far:

PASSING 5-1

PASSING 5-0

3. Allow match ties.
                            PASSING 5-1

4. Use actual SSA.
                            FAILING 2-4

FAILING 3-5
                            PASSING: 2 per season

PASSING 5-0

PASSING 5-0

PASSING 4-2

Comment

Team Independence votes YES to all questions!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X