Week #6--Timber Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    GBS acting captain,
    I am trying to find out how many members of your team will be on hand in the AM.
    I have heard reports of 1-3 missing from your squad, but nothing confirmed.
    We would appreciate it if you could let us know, as it would allow our teammates who won't get to play the chance to sleep in or otherwise plan their day as well.
    Thank you.

    Comment


    • #17
      The acting captain is Teresa. I have not seen her on here in a long time. I have not heard anything about anyone not coming tomorrow, but this is not an official post.
      Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
      Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
      Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
      Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
      Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

      Comment


      • #18
        Hmmmm, why would the relationship between SSA and PPS change if playing a course with more or less holes on it? Say Timber was a 9 hole course with an SSA of 53, that's still saying that a 1000 rated golfer would take 53 shots to finish that course, lets say that 53ssa = 10pps. In my head I think a 900 rated player should finish that same course in 63 shots. Doesn't matter how many baskets/tee pads there are.
        Think of it this way: If the course's SSA=53 for 18 holes so that a 900 player gets 10 shots when playing a 1000 rated player, the 900 player would get 20 shots for two rounds, right? Basically, it's 10/18 shots per hole times 18 holes. So the total shots for two rounds is 36 x 10/18 = 20.

        Hence for 21 holes the 900 player would receive 21 x 10/18 = 11.667 shots.

        Comment


        • #19
          I am hurt. Soooo hurt.
          Should we also tell you what we plan on shooting, Wes? Anything else we can do to help you strategize? I think I saw something silly about you wanting us to bring printed scorecards. You're killing me. Just bring your golf game. Leave your... "strategery" at home.

          And... oh yeah. We will expect all of your team members to bring their photo ID. Thanks.
          ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
          ~Annika SŲrenstam

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by tmk View Post

            Think of it this way: If the course's SSA=53 for 18 holes so that a 900 player gets 10 shots when playing a 1000 rated player, the 900 player would get 20 shots for two rounds, right? Basically, it's 10/18 shots per hole times 18 holes. So the total shots for two rounds is 36 x 10/18 = 20.

            Hence for 21 holes the 900 player would receive 21 x 10/18 = 11.667 shots.

            I thought about this more, and talked with some other people about it and I'll have to agree to disagree. The SSA is the number of strokes it takes to complete a course, the number of holes on that course is not a factor in this calculation. You are right about playing two rounds, the SSA would be double on that 36 hole course which would double the amount of strokes a 1000 rated golfer would have to make up.

            To prove the point, use large numbers and see how the calculations add up.

            For instance if it were a 6 hole course, you say it would be 6 x 10/18 = 3.3 shots. How fair would it be if the 1000 rated golfer only had to make up 3 shots? It should stay at 10.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Wes Hansen View Post
              GBS acting captain,
              I am trying to find out how many members of your team will be on hand in the AM.
              I have heard reports of 1-3 missing from your squad, but nothing confirmed.
              We would appreciate it if you could let us know, as it would allow our teammates who won't get to play the chance to sleep in or otherwise plan their day as well.
              Thank you.
              Since you started this publicly: That was a low move, pestering us for a roster count, than failing to show up to play, forcing us to bench a player, the very situation you were allegedly trying to avoid.
              Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
              Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
              Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
              Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
              Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

              Comment


              • #22
                I agree Gawain- that the situation was not what I would have hoped. But to call it a "low move" is to imply, at least, that you felt it was intentional. If that's the case, 1) you are mistaken and, 2) you probably don't care that 1) is true.

                And hope the rules are changed so in that type of situation any match not fielded is a loss. I'm still good with that.

                All told, I think I had two cases of almost instant karma last week.
                Each taught me a lesson.

                Sorry for the inconvenience to the ONE member of your team unable to play in the AM because of my error.

                Though I still think letting your opponents know how many plan to attend is just common courtesy and not "pestering". I certainly see several members of your teams refusals/ignoring of requests for a team count differently than you. So be it.

                I believe in the end you may have won the day by a few strokes. Well done. Perhaps it was just as well for GBS we weren't all there in AM...

                The only people I really owe an apology to is my team. Sorry team.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Sean Phillips View Post


                  I thought about this more, and talked with some other people about it and I'll have to agree to disagree. The SSA is the number of strokes it takes to complete a course, the number of holes on that course is not a factor in this calculation. You are right about playing two rounds, the SSA would be double on that 36 hole course which would double the amount of strokes a 1000 rated golfer would have to make up.

                  To prove the point, use large numbers and see how the calculations add up.

                  For instance if it were a 6 hole course, you say it would be 6 x 10/18 = 3.3 shots. How fair would it be if the 1000 rated golfer only had to make up 3 shots? It should stay at 10.
                  Actually, I've thought a bit more and agree with you, though for a different reason. The three extra holes at Timber include the only par four (20) and an unusually difficult par three (19). The SSA would probably increase because of these two. So I'm with you in saying SSA should be determined by the course played.

                  The problem faced by OTG is to predetermine the SSA without necessarily having the exact data, somehow accounting for an altered layout.

                  That said, I think the 1000 rated player would be at a grave disadvantage trying to make up 10 shots in six holes against a 900 rated player. Unless it was one of those crazy mountain safari tournaments. Just sayin'.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I am still not sure we played who we were supposed to have played... but a win is a win.
                    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                    ~Annika SŲrenstam

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Sam View Post
                      I am still not sure we played who we were supposed to have played... but a win is a win.
                      That's what happens when you live three years in the past.

                      Always a good time playing your team. But really, you have enough current ammunition against Wes, why not move into the present.
                      "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.Ē

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Did anybody pick up a 2008 BSF Glow T-bird from the course during team golf? Or know of somebody who did? I threw it on hole 4. It sailed directly out of bounds towards 8's fairway near 16's tee pad. It was during our doubles round and I simply forgot to retrieve it. It does have my name (Hiatt) and number on it. I would love to get this one back. Thank you for reading.
                        Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I would love to TALK about this topic (the math behind the SSA on courses bigger than 18 holes not the rag Wes for not showing up in the AM) but it is a pain in the ass for me to type it all out. Suffice it to say: use your own example of extremes but go the opposite way: what if the course was 100 holes? Does the 1000 rated player still only have to make up 10 strokes?

                          It has to do with our SSA Chart that is based on courses of 18 holes length. So I do a little basic math on it: take the SSA from the sheet for 21 holes and divide it by the number of holes to get an average hole par. I multiply that by the 3 extra holes we played and subtract that from the 21 hole SSA to find the 18 hole SSA equivalent to compare on our chart. Ex. SAT AM SSA 60.33 that makes the AHP 2.87. Subtract 3 times 2.87 is 8.62 giving you an 18 hole equivalent SSA of 51.71 which puts us right in the range for 10 strokes per rating point.
                          Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                          Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                          Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                          Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                          Or does here stand the last remaining man
                          To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                          No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                          Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                          Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
                            I would love to TALK about this topic (the math behind the SSA on courses bigger than 18 holes not the rag Wes for not showing up in the AM) but it is a pain in the ass for me to type it all out. Suffice it to say: use your own example of extremes but go the opposite way: what if the course was 100 holes? Does the 1000 rated player still only have to make up 10 strokes?

                            It has to do with our SSA Chart that is based on courses of 18 holes length. So I do a little basic math on it: take the SSA from the sheet for 21 holes and divide it by the number of holes to get an average hole par. I multiply that by the 3 extra holes we played and subtract that from the 21 hole SSA to find the 18 hole SSA equivalent to compare on our chart. Ex. SAT AM SSA 60.33 that makes the AHP 2.87. Subtract 3 times 2.87 is 8.62 giving you an 18 hole equivalent SSA of 51.71 which puts us right in the range for 10 strokes per rating point.
                            I'll try to remember to strike up a conversation next time I actually remember to show up to team golf.

                            We've never played lunchtime have we? It would be interesting to see how the SSA vs number of holes plays out there.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Tmk It has never been a par 4 on hole 20 even when it was hole 16.....
                              "In Discatarianism We Trust"

                              :cheers:

                              :cool:sigpic

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                @NWDiscer it is on their scorecard. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/scorec...id=759&tee=all

                                Comment

                                Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X