Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OR Team DG: Week #7 - Timber

Jordan,

Are we playing all 21 baskets? Does this have an effect on the SSA at all?
    Last edited by all2common; December 26th, 2012, 04:13 PM.
    Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

affect. (Hemmerling can't always be the first.)

But good question.

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Hansen View Post
      affect. (Hemmerling can't always be the first.)

But good question.
      Does my use of the word "effect" in the above situation, where I am attempting to use it as a verb, not fall in the exception to the normal rules of affect v. effect? As in to bring about or accomplish a change in the SSA of a course?
      Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

No. It is affect. As in to influence or to cause change.
        While used as a verb on occasion, improperly, effect is a noun.
        However, if people are going to pretend "apps" is a real word, I really shouldn't be so Hemmerish.
        I certainly didn't think George had written your post.
        Just a little grammatical smack talk.
        Last edited by Wes Hansen; December 26th, 2012, 04:33 PM. Reason: improperly included an "l"

Comment

Originally posted by all2common View Post
          Does my use of the word "effect" in the above situation, where I am attempting to use it as a verb, not fall in the exception to the normal rules of affect v. effect? As in to bring about or accomplish a change in the SSA of a course?
          in this case, "have an affect" = "will effect".
          Last edited by Scott; December 27th, 2012, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Hansen View Post
            No. It is affect. As in to influence or to cause change.
            While used as a verb on occasion, improperly, effect is a noun.
            However, if people are going to pretend "apps" is a real word, I really shouldn't be so Hemmerish.
            I certainly didn't think George had written your post.
            Just a little grammatical smack talk.
            Douche, doosh, dooch . . . this is an example of how improper spelling has little effect on the impact of the message itself.

Comment

Originally posted by kel View Post
              Douche, doosh, dooch . . . this is an example of how improper spelling has little effect on the impact of the message itself.
              Perhaps if one can't take part in a discussion intelligently name calling may be one's only recourse.

At least Scott tried. He's 100% wrong, and trolling, but at least he appears to have given it some thought.

No offense A2C. I had meant my first response to be humorous.

I have to leave to work on Dosch Rd. Where spelling matters.

Comment

Originally posted by all2common View Post
                Are we playing all 21 baskets? Does this have an effect on the SSA at all?
                Putt This would like to play the 21 hole layout.

Comment

Originally posted by kel View Post
                  Now that's funny right there!
                  PDGA# 49616
                  Stumptown# 353
                  OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

I vote we play all 21 holes, with an SSA of 10
                    PDGA# 49616
                    Stumptown# 353

Comment

Lets all just sit back and actually read about affect vs effect.

http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/st...t-grammar.html
                      PDGA #25296
                      Stumptown #34

Comment

After referring to your link, as well as several others I read before earlier posts, I don't believe the situation is any clearer. In Flash's citation there are two, at least, contradictory examples of affect/affect.
                        As in,

"5. Affect can also be used as a verb. Use it when trying to describe influencing someone or something rather than causing it.

Example: How does the crime rate affect hiring levels by local police forces?
                        (Will the 3 extra holes affect the SSA?)
                        Example: The weather conditions will affect the number of people who come to the county fair this year."
                        (The three extra holes will affect the SSA next Sunday.)

and, here,

"2. It is appropriate to use the word "effect" if one of these words is used immediately before the word: into, on, take, the, any, an, or and.

Example: The prescribed medication had an effect on the patient's symptoms."
                        then again...
                        (The three extra holes had an effect on the SSA.)

Is it a matter of tense?

Clear now? I didn't think so.
                        Last edited by Wes Hansen; December 27th, 2012, 09:27 PM.

Comment

sigpic
                          http://www.discgolfscene.com/clubs/DISC_GOLF_OR_DIE

Comment

wow i had fun so far...

OK. I have been thinking about this very subject. (The SSA not the baffling affect/effect quandary). Here's a summary of my thoughts:

1. Holes are in the ground and the Slosh group was able to play two 21 hole rounds in similar light conditions.

2. More disc golf is better than less disc golf so why the hell not.

3. In the past we have typically played 19 holes here anyway.

But the difference in SSA from 18 to 19 holes isn't very much so we always played it the same 10 RP/S. But the difference from 18 to 21 is enough to cause problems. So while the difficulty of the course would normally put it into 10 RP/S bracket I think we should play it at 9 RP/S for the 21 holes. (If I did the math correctly it comes out to 9.25 RP/S and after discussing it with Josh, who convinced me that 9, 9, 9, 10 would be too hard to figure out, we came up with the current solution. 315)

So let's all get out there early this weekend and keep lunch short so we can knock out the final 42 holes of Oregon Team Disc Golf for 2012!

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                            Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                            Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                            Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                            Or does here stand the last remaining man
                            To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                            No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                            Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                            Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

I second it, motion APPROVED! ALL SCORECARDS for Saturday printed
                              PDGA# 49616
                              Stumptown# 353

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X