Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Way!!!

Originally posted by Nathan View Post
    Actually it would have been easier to qualify on the east side since they would have had four events and the west side only three.
    With five events needed to qualify, that would require that competitors from Spokane would have to travel and stay overnight at three events. How is this easier?
    Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbly Bob View Post
      With five events needed to qualify, that would require that competitors from Spokane would have to travel and stay overnight at three events. How is this easier?
      The easy answer is "state population/course density".
      A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Originally posted by jshrack View Post
        It was definitely gonna be a struggle getting qualified for this from the east side.
        I had pretty much given up on the idea for this year anyway... still sad to see.
        As Yardbird said, "It was just a matter of time..."
        As this year progresses and the WSS preliminary work is done, I'm hoping that the WSS Board can find a way to level the playing field of the WSS regarding the costs of qualifying for 2012.

Until we accomplish this the WSS will never have the competitor representation from the east side that would make the WSS a true State Series with Statewide representation.
        Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

How about an East and West series? Winners to meet in Oregon, where the best courses are...j/k. But, maybe the same number of events on the E & W sides for seeding into a final...just a thought, and it would take a few more folks willing to do the thankless job as TD.
          educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by Rideout View Post
            Spokane has withdrawn both their events from the WSS. This is due to the Spokane community wanting to keep things closer to home Ė very understandable. Note, both events are still happening so please support them; they just arenít in the Washington State Series anymore. Hopefully we can bridge this gap by 2012.

Also, the finals are now a qualifier. There was a re-vote on this issue and with overwhelming numbers; this has become the new guideline.

So, now there are six total events and each player needs four to qualify (half + 1).

Mike
            that is because WE on the eastside dont have ALL our courses within 70 miles of them so MAYBE you might want to change the name BECAUSE you are NOT playing in ALL of washington just the west side .. plus YOU voted to keep and make the finals (over there ) part of the qualifer. so how does this make it easier for us to make it to the WSS when it is ALL on the eastside of the state ?

Comment

Originally posted by psychodwarf View Post
              that is because WE on the eastside dont have ALL our courses within 70 miles of them so MAYBE you might want to change the name BECAUSE you are NOT playing in ALL of washington just the west side .. plus YOU voted to keep and make the finals (over there ) part of the qualifer. so how does this make it easier for us to make it to the WSS when it is ALL on the eastside of the state ?
              And where are Walla Walla and KennewickÖ Last time I checked they are on the east side of the state. This sucks that Spokane pulled out of the series. Right now I'm thinking, that a bunch of wimps and whiners live in Spokane. I live in Pendleton and I have to travel more than 30 miles if I want to play an 18-holes anywhere other than Pendleton. You donít hear me complaining that there arenít more tournaments closer to me. I guess that people that live in Pendleton, Walla Walla, or Kennewick are hearty people who donít mind a little travel and adventure.
              Throw What You Know.
              "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
              PDGA# 45989

Comment

Originally posted by psychodwarf View Post
                Pulling two events from the East side makes it REALLY dificult for Eastsiders to qualify!

Did the City cup fill last year? No, no it didn't. THE major reason....It didn't count as a qualifier for the WSS. Plain and simple, you cut the need for players to play the series Championship if it doesn't do them any good in series standings.

Regardless if it means East siders need to travel one more time, making the Whinners tourney a qualifier is the right decision for the series, the tourney it self, and the players!
                A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbly Bob View Post
                  Maybe not easier, but exactly the same for any Spokanite that planned to make it to finals originally.
                  Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Doing a little research I see that Western Washington has almost 6 million people compared to Eastern Washington and its 1.5 million. Also Eastern Washington has double the amount of land compared to Western Washington. Just judging my these numbers, you're going to have to do some traveling if you live over there.
                    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

I'm sure I played in a couple of the series tourneys last year and I plan on making most on the list this year. Since I just started playing again after a 10 year break can someone explain the purpose of the series and what players are competing for ect. I don't understand what it's all about. Thanks

CMC
                      www.rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by CMC206 View Post
                        I'm sure I played in a couple of the series tourneys last year and I plan on making most on the list this year. Since I just started playing again after a 10 year break can someone explain the purpose of the series and what players are competing for ect. I don't understand what it's all about. Thanks

CMC
                        I know of 2 reasons.

1. Money. The series pays out extra $ for how well players do in the series events.

2. Fun. i.e. getting to play the best courses around the state with a variety of competitors.

Comment

The East West concept was discussed in the group and as mike said " it was decided that at least for this year it would be the whole state."

The concept of
                          1. each side holding events on their own side respectively "as side qualifiers"
                          2. either a side championship,then state championship
                          3. or just to States
                          4. Players could qualify on either side or both if they wanted
                          5. Have finals rotate between four regions East, N Central, West, S Central
                          The biggest issue was running of' events on same weekend insuring no one travels

Both LCO, the City Cup and Nuclear are all part of the INWS this year so the split has already pretty much happened. (ASC has been in the past)

Even with Spokane hosting two (ZERO miles traveled) they still need to either drive to SC WA once and then the final. Mr West side qualifies (Playes 4 times) with the same mileage as the Spokane'r uses just one way to the finals
                          rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                            Doing a little research I see that Western Washington has almost 6 million people compared to Eastern Washington and its 1.5 million. Also Eastern Washington has double the amount of land compared to Western Washington. Just judging my these numbers, you're going to have to do some traveling if you live over there.
                            Eastern Oregon is the same way; half the people in twice the land.
                            Throw What You Know.
                            "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                            PDGA# 45989

Comment

It does seem funny with all of the consideration specifically for Spokane and obviously the central Puget Sound (here referred to as the "West Side"); but what if you live in Walla Walla or Vancouver, etc. There are just parts of the state that will inherently have a more difficult time qualifying...

I still have yet to see that enter into the discussion - will there come a day when each of these localities need a "no-traveling" series as Spokane and Puget Sound do?

I don't have the answers but the discussion seems a bit skewed IMO
                              'Weekend 4 Women':
                              Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                              Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

When I started playing, just before the turn of the century, there were only 6 Series events over the entire state. Two at Steilly, Riverside, Terrace Creek, Lakewood, and Downriver in Spokane. If you lived anywhere but the Wetside you traveled for all but one. If you wanted to play PDGA events, that's what you did.
                                I'm slightly amused about the whining and complaining about having too many good events, spread all over the state, and not being able to have them all in the same series.
                                The Wa St Series was the benchmark for events, with the Tri-Cities holding the (highly successful) "wildcat" events. Now we've got two A Tiers in the Inland NW and enough B Tiers statewide to support TWO separate series'.
                                I, for one, am tickled to death with all the opportunities to compete. The Series bonuses are just that, a bonus, if I play enough of the same series.
                                I don't know if I can handle all this disc golf, but I won't complain.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X