X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pier Park Sunday Winter League 1pm

Since the end of Wednesday doubles at Pier there has been a bit of talk about getting something started for the winter, so I've decided to pick up the ball and run with it. I know its short notice for today's round, and some people will still be out at Horning's Hideout, but we are going to play some random doubles today at 1pm at Pier. The entry will be $5 per person and you will be randomly partnered up with another player. All entry fees collected will go to the day's payout. We will also be discussing the options for winter league, which could be a handicapped singles league or a random doubles league depending on what the majority of people want to do. I am leaning toward handicapped singles because we could also play doubles afterward each week until the days get too short. If you can't be there in person you can give us your two cents here. I know it will conflict with at least 153 other things you could do on Sunday afternoons, but the choice is yours my friend. I hope to see you all out there...

By the way, results for this league will be posted on the internet each week to prevent any confusion...

Torrey

Great idea!! I vote for handicapped singles.

Comment

Me too. Won't make this week but will make future events. Will you schedule them off of team disc golf events?
      ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

All right, here's the deal with the league... For the time being we are going to play Sunday afternoons at 1pm. When I find out for sure what the schedule for Team Disc Golf is we might switch to Saturdays if necessary, although that does conflict with DUCK FOOTBALL! The league will officially start the first Sunday in October. That way I have a little time to sort out all the details. This Sunday, the 28th, we will play $5 doubles again and talk more ideas, but I have basically decided it will be a handicapped singles league. The first week you attend you won't be competing for that week's payout because you will be establishing a handicap. As a result the buy in for your first week will be a mere $2. One dollar always goes toward the finals payout and one dollar always goes toward the ace pot. Any ace pot money that isn't won will be rolled over into the finals. The ace pot is not optional and I don't want to hear any grumbling. It probably won't get hit, and the money will roll over. If someone does hit one there will be a nice reward. Everyone should be able to qualify for finals and play for that much more money and here's how. The league will run for 16 consecutive weeks, and if you play 8 or more you qualify for the finals. The finals will be Sunday the 25th of January, unless we decide to switch to Saturdays. In the event that we do switch, it will be held Saturday January 26th. The format for finals will be doubles. At the end of the regular season I will arrange those who qualified for finals in a list based on average scores for the weeks played. The top person and the bottom person will be matched up as a team, then the second from the top and the second from the bottom, and so forth. If we have an uneven number of qualifiers for finals, we will allow an alternate player in. This person will be selected from those who played the most times but didn't officially qualify (probably someone who played 7 weeks). If multiple people are of this status, we will flip a coin or something to see who gets in. Finals will be two rounds. The first round is singles, and you add your scores together. Then you will play a round of doubles, but there's a catch. Holes 1-9 will be alternate shot, and holes 10-18 will be best shot. As far as regular weeks after you have a handicap established go, the buy in will be $6. As always $1 goes to the ace pot, $1 goes to finals payout, and $4 goes to payouts for the week. Payouts will be paid the following week as it takes a bit of time and effort to crunch the numbers. I will pay out by PDGA standards. The top 40-45% of the field will get some money back. The formula I intend to use is the following: (current week's score minus average of the last three weeks played)/(average of the last three weeks played). I call this number your weekly variance. Negative numbers are best, with the highest negative number being our winner for the week. If you think it through this system rewards people with a low average slightly more for shaving a stroke off their average, but also pays out those with a higher average that have a good week. There is no such thing as a perfect system. Now, I will crunch the numbers each week and post them online so that there isn't any confusion but the league will be run by different people throughout the season. Each week the person who runs the show will get a free buy in. I will run it the first couple of weeks so that people get the hang of it, then others can sign up to run it and play for free for their efforts. Whew, there are the basics folks. I hope to see lots of you out for doubles this Sunday for doubles and I'm excited to start league in October! Please post any pertinent questions here for discussion, but I'm not going to change much as there are just too many people with differing opinions around here to try to please everyone. If you don't like the format, start your own league...

Comment

This is cool. Any chance I can convince you to simply stay on Sundays. I'm thinking of doing a Saturday winter series and I'd like to avoid any conflicts with ya. Oh, and many of us don't play team golf and might still want to play on Sundays.... so... ignore Sam.
          "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Team golf is every other Sunday, so no need for any schedule conflicts! I LOVE the idea of a handicapped league during the winter!

Comment

So, would a person be able to play both and make enough weeks to qualify for the league finals? If not I might be able to extend the season into Feb a couple of weeks, but then there's Super Bowl(s) Sunday to contend with.

Comment

Team golfers would be able to make 9 Pier Park events, so yeah! There is a team golf meet on Jan. 25th, which would be the finals for Pier, right?

Comment

If you alternate them Saturday and Sunday (thus, ignoring Hagerty), you would probably have less conflict and attract more people. I hear some people go to buildings every Sunday and call it "church"...
                  ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                  ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                    If you alternate them Saturday and Sunday (thus, ignoring Hagerty), you would probably have less conflict and attract more people. I hear some people go to buildings every Sunday and call it "church"...
                    I was "sorta" just kidding Sam. Seriously though... Torrey has stepped up with a fairly well thought out plan. If that plan doesn't fit perfectly into someone's schedule, perhaps they could simply attend the events that do fit into their schedule. I know that is exactly what I am going to have to do myself.

Just logical food for thought
                    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

And this is why the internet is a poor medium. I knew you were kidding and was kidding back...

Anyway, I agree with you regarding weighing the schedule. I just suggested the Sat/Sun thing as someone who has run winter events and had people give me feedback.

I think you guys should coordinate with Jordan as I am willing to bet that many of the people who attend TDG would attend these, as well - ESPECIALLY if you make an effort to not overlap.

My $.02...
                      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                        And this is why the internet is a poor medium. I knew you were kidding and was kidding back...

Anyway, I agree with you regarding weighing the schedule. I just suggested the Sat/Sun thing as someone who has run winter events and had people give me feedback.

I think you guys should coordinate with Jordan as I am willing to bet that many of the people who attend TDG would attend these, as well - ESPECIALLY if you make an effort to not overlap.

My $.02...
                        This is Torrey's Sunday deal, and with the exception of playing in many of them, I am not involved. I am, however, still thinking about running a Saturday Milo/Horning's series, but I will only do that if scheduling does not become a complete fiasco.

Once again it boils down to things getting so busy now we are going to overlap somewhere. What you are proposing is that in order to avoid overlapping with Team Golf events Torrey should move to a Saturday, which would then overlap with what I was trying to do... and so on... and so on...

Comment

I agree that we are going to overlap. That said, I don't think that we should forget our target audience and try to accomodate them. Ultimately, you guys will set your schedules and those of us that can, will attend. It's all good.
                          ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

The finals date can be moved for sure, and I'll think about the rest...

Comment

More league details

Okay, here's some more information on the Pier Park Sunday Handicapped Singles league. The origingal 16 week format has been streched to 19 weeks, beginning October 5th and running through Finals on February 15th. I checked Gawain's calendar and there doesn't seem to be any conflict there with anything going on close by that day yet. We will offer a chance to get a round in on Super Bowl Sunday (Feb. 1 this year), but it will start at 11am that day. I apologize if this conflicts with anyone's church schedule. The big game starts at 3pm, so there should be time after league to get where you need to be and do what you need to do before the game. You still only need to play 8 times to qualify for the finals, and this gives those team disc golf members a few more chances to attend. As far as finals go, I'm going to take your top 8 weeks to figure your average for the season. I am also going to take 10% of the finals cash and pay at least the top 5 spots for lowest average score for the season. If you play more than 8 times you get a chance to improve your average and snatch some of this cash. This encourages people to play well instead of sandbagging. Finals will start promptly at 1pm. As a matter of fact that's the plan every week, so plan to be there at least by 12:30 if possible so you can get signed up and socialize a bit. Because its winter league, you might want to bring some warm clothes to wear and be prepared for a little rain on occasion. We are talking about Portland after all. I recommend wearing a few layers so you can adjust accordingly. Remember this Sunday we are playing doubles, so if you aren't down in Corvallis (by the way, great game yesterday Beavs!) for the Willamette Open, come join us...
                              Last edited by Chuck Plastique; September 26th, 2008, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X