Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had 46 players last night, which is indeed a record for the first week of Tuesday Twos (Last year we had 23)!

We had 3 CTP prizes donated by Jeff Larson, Jason McGrew and Justin Mann.

The A/B Pool approach was pretty much summed up by Ryan and Bob, but here is a little more color:

We started by roughly grouping A players (900+) and B players (< 900). It turned out we had roughly 16 A players and 30 B players. So, we then balanced the field by moving the top 8 B players to the A pool. After balancing, perhaps the division looks more like 850+ and < 850?

The other half of the story is that given an odd number of players, the person playing 'cali' will never come from the B pool. I think this is fair in that B players will probably never want to be forced to play cali and some/most A players would enjoy getting to play cali. For the record, the four highest scores posted last year (+32, +9, +4, +3) were all posted by a B pool player playing cali.

I am very interested in hearing general opinions about the whole pooling idea. My only concern with it involves the balancing of pools. I don't want to create a situation where the top of the A pool usually wins, the brunt of the B pool does when paired with top A poolers, and the tweeners (~850ish) rarely cash because they are always paired with B poolers and can't usually carry the team by themselves.

I'd love feedback!

Comment

Having an A and B pool is awesome! It make it more fair.
      "Operator! Give me the number for 911! " - Homer S.

Comment

Another question I posed to the group last night:

Should we continue the practice of having a CTP playoff to break ties of all cashing positions, or only to break ties for 1st place instead?

Scenario:
        Team A: -16
        Team B: -16
        Team C: -15
        Team D: -15
        Team E: -14

Option 1: Playoff All Cashing Positions
        1. Team A (wins CTP playoff) $1000
        2. Team B $700
        3. Team C (wins CTP playoff) $500
        4. Team D $300
        5. Team E $150

Option 2: Only Playoff 1st Place
        2. Team B $700
        3. Team C $400
        3. Team D $400
        5. Team E $150

Hey, as long as we are playing supposition theater, might as well dream big!

If we only playoff for 1st, things will go quicker at the end. Also, nobody shoots a good round only to leave empty handed only because of a single CTP throw on hole 1.

Once again, feedback is very appreciated!

Comment

One last note, I've been making to changes to the website so I can archive past years data so it will be a day or two until I get last nights scores in.

Comment

The splitting of the A pool and the B pool seems like a pretty good idea - I like the opportunity to learn from the people I throw with on my card (and last night was perfect for that). However, I do also really like the randomness of disregarding the pools. For a one-time doubles event, the pools make the most sense. For a league, I think the complete random draw works just fine. Just my $.02. Whatever the choice, this is still one of the best run leagues in the NW!

Also, regarding the playoff... May as well just throw for first. That should keep us from having to have multiple groups throwing in the dark like we did at the end of last season.

~Z
            Last edited by zippyboy; April 22nd, 2009, 09:29 AM.
            TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

A/B and Playoff Scenario

Ken,

I really like the idea of the A/B grouping. I like Option 2 for the playoff scenario, but have a question. If there are no playoffs for ties after 1st, do they get the same # of points? I would assume so, but this is different from years past.

It's killing me that I can't make it for a few weeks. I committed to a bowling league with my wife. Only 3 more weeks left, then I will be a regular at TT! Hope to bring several recruits with me as well to get the attendance up even higher!!

Originally posted by KenGilmore View Post

Should we continue the practice of having a CTP playoff to break ties of all cashing positions, or only to break ties for 1st place instead?

Scenario:

2. Team B $700
              4. Team D $300
              5. Team E $150

2. Team B $700
              3. Team C $400
              3. Team D $400
              5. Team E $150

If we only playoff for 1st, things will go quicker at the end. Also, nobody shoots a good round only to leave empty handed only because of a single CTP throw on hole 1.

Comment

Scenario:

2. Team B $700
                4. Team D $300
                5. Team E $150

2. Team B $700
                3. Team C $400
                3. Team D $400
                5. Team E $150

I personally love seeing the throw offs at the end. In "supposition theater" if Team D, E, F, and G don't throw off and each team splits $400 and walks away with $100 not a big deal. But in REAL life if Team D, E, F, and G tie and split $4, each team getting a dollar, each player getting .50 hmmmmm, I think a throw off and the winners splitting the $4 sounds much better.

Bob

Comment

I don't want to create a situation where the top of the A pool usually wins, the brunt of the B pool does when paired with top A poolers, and the tweeners (~850ish) rarely cash because they are always paired with B poolers and can't usually carry the team by themselves.
                  I was thinking about this last night and I think the low end A pool players are going to get screwed in the long run. The people with the biggest advantage are the top end B poolers.

I wonder if you can set something up where tweeners get placed in a pool based on their current standings or how they placed in the last event.

I also see the possibility of the top 12 not accurately reflecting peoples' level of play. With the advantage top B poolers have you may see them making up the majority of the top 12.

Thanks for trying to improve an already great league Ken. I do like the idea of the pools and had a great time last night.
                  Current World Rank: 2857th
                  Lowest Rated Round: 777
                  Worst Tournament Finish: 2nd From DFL MA2 GNO 2008
                  Worst Drive: 10 Feet behind teepad
                  Shortest Putt Missed During a Tournament: < 1 foot (Not Kidding)
                  Best Fall: Hole 11 Trojan Park, before cement teepads
                  Dirtiest Ace: Hole 12 Horning's Canyon Course through the "V" tree.
                  Pairs of Shoes Ruined: 6

Comment

Originally posted by keys View Post
                    I was thinking about this last night and I think the low end A pool players are going to get screwed in the long run. The people with the biggest advantage are the top end B poolers.
                    I disagree. The top B poolers are likely to get bumped into the a-pool (assuming that, most weeks, there will be more B players than A players). Then you'll have a B/B team playing a bunch of A/B teams.

I love the A/B concept, but it seems that it will only work well if there is an equal number of both. I see lots of room for whining and crying, but of course people did that when it was random.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      I disagree. The top B poolers are likely to get bumped into the a-pool (assuming that, most weeks, there will be more B players than A players). Then you'll have a B/B team playing a bunch of A/B teams.

I love the A/B concept, but it seems that it will only work well if there is an equal number of both. I see lots of room for whining and crying, but of course people did that when it was random.

By "top B poolers" I mean people who actually play in the B pool. By B pool I'm not referring to a player with a <900 rating. People that are sub 900 rated players that get bumped into the A pool are A poolers.
                      Current World Rank: 2857th
                      Lowest Rated Round: 777
                      Worst Tournament Finish: 2nd From DFL MA2 GNO 2008
                      Worst Drive: 10 Feet behind teepad
                      Shortest Putt Missed During a Tournament: < 1 foot (Not Kidding)
                      Best Fall: Hole 11 Trojan Park, before cement teepads
                      Dirtiest Ace: Hole 12 Horning's Canyon Course through the "V" tree.
                      Pairs of Shoes Ruined: 6

Comment

I am trying out the discgolfscene.com website for posting Tuesday Twos results. This will be secondary to the existing TT website.

You can check it out here.

If you are on discgolfscene already, I can link your TT results to your player profile. It will automatically add the scores to your profile and display achievements from league finishes. I just need your profile email address you use to log in to discgolfscene.

The double entry is a pain in the a$$, however, so I will likely enlist the help of others to transfer players and scores to the discgolfscene site from the TT site.

BTW, the TT site should be updated very soon now.

Comment

Tuesday Twos Website updated with the exception of the bounties and a few planned changes.

Comment

Ken,

As a fellow numbers geek, I appreciate your attempt to even out the field but in this case i think random is the way to go, as long as it is truly random. Splitting the fields is fine but if you were trying to even it out you would need to place the Number 1 A pool person with the last place B pooler and continue until you get to the bottom A pooler paired with the top B pooler. This is the only way to accommodate player abilities accurately.

My reasons for random are:
                            1. Its easier to set up and pair up meaning less work for the TD.
                            2. Setting up two different pools and randomly matching will cause problems for boarder line players who some weeks will be in the A pool and some weeks the B pool.
                            3. People did not earn their ratings at Orchard so those ratings will not accurately determine their ability to play at Orchard.
                            4. Weather will be a big factor for the B poolers and a slight hinderance to the A poolers.
                            5. Player ability for pool settings is a guess at best, someone could be killing orchard but does not play in events and has no rating!
                            PDGA #25296
                            Stumptown #34

Comment

Tuesday Two's yesterday was my first ever, and I had a blast. I liked the pool A pool B concept. Granted my partner last night was Sean Phillips HELLO pretty awesome partner for my first one. I wish I could have putted a little better, but I had a great time can't wait for next week.

Cindy
                              Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                              2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                              Stumptown #176
                              PDGA #37716

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                                Ken,

As a fellow numbers geek, I appreciate your attempt to even out the field but in this case i think random is the way to go, as long as it is truly random. Splitting the fields is fine but if you were trying to even it out you would need to place the Number 1 A pool person with the last place B pooler and continue until you get to the bottom A pooler paired with the top B pooler. This is the only way to accommodate player abilities accurately.

My reasons for random are:
                                1. Its easier to set up and pair up meaning less work for the TD.
                                2. Setting up two different pools and randomly matching will cause problems for boarder line players who some weeks will be in the A pool and some weeks the B pool.
                                3. People did not earn their ratings at Orchard so those ratings will not accurately determine their ability to play at Orchard.
                                4. Weather will be a big factor for the B poolers and a slight hinderance to the A poolers.
                                5. Player ability for pool settings is a guess at best, someone could be killing orchard but does not play in events and has no rating!
                                DITTO!
                                Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
                                Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X