2013 Washington Events Schedule Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Danni View Post
    Please cancel the Rising Island Open IV

    Due to the fact that Shelton Springs Showdown moved dates this year, we will defer to their event.

    Whidbey Island has a multi-use park, so we are extremely limited to dates that we can have the park.

    dont let us down Danni you know theres a ton of us who want to come play that tournament again. Gotta have this one it was a blast last year and i know theres a few guys out for course revenge

    july 27-28?
    August 3-4?
    august 31-sept 1st?
    It ain't gonna be easy!!!

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Danni View Post
      Please cancel the Rising Island Open IV

      Due to the fact that Shelton Springs Showdown moved dates this year, we will defer to their event.

      Whidbey Island has a multi-use park, so we are extremely limited to dates that we can have the park.
      sad. i have heard a lot of great things regarding this tournament and finally was going to be able to make this one. totally understand though.
      "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**


      You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
      -- Arthur Ashe

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by spanky11 View Post
        dont let us down Danni you know theres a ton of us who want to come play that tournament again. Gotta have this one it was a blast last year and i know theres a few guys out for course revenge

        july 27-28?
        August 3-4?
        august 31-sept 1st?

        You guys are super sweet and make me want to try!

        I'll tell you what I'll let you in on THIS TD's concerns and you tell me what you think... fair enough? ( I do this mostly because I KNOW there's some people that really want revenge on my baby that ate them up last year, lol )

        The park IS available August 31-1 (they don't have football that weekend), but here are my concerns to make this a successful event. We typically get like 50-60 players and I worry if we "run up against" another "popular tournament" we'll slip below that number and make it less successful for you guys the players.

        On August 31st there is the WA state Championship... which I know is a popular event. (August 3rd is Steili side/ July 27 is Aquafest and I just love BA too much to do that to him knowing that's his established weekend)

        This in lies the core of the issue, we kind of "made our place" in the weekend we had, it was super complex 4 years ago when we selected that weekend to balance the dates at our multi-use park with the local tournaments.

        Its a shame, and it's an especially harsh pill for me personally since this would have been my last year as the TD, I was hoping to go out with a bang.

        You guys know me I put the players first and I don't think trying to "go head to head" with another popular tournament will do anyone any good.

        I don't hold any ill will towards Shelton, they aren't a multi-use park but they wanted a better placed weekend for themselves. I've actually been a supporter of their event since the first year.

        I tried to move it to August 24-25, but the park has a soccer tournament that weekend.

        I considered asking my park about Sept 28-29 ( I am not even sure if it's available being football season ) but I'm not sure how popular the NW Doubles event is.

        This is kind of a double edge sword the way i see it... It means that our area has some great TD's stepping up and making the summer a fun disc golf place for the players, but I kind of got squeezed out.


        I don't want to let you guys down (I actually enjoy the fact that you guys WANT to come play) I'm just not sure where to go from here.
        www.DiscAddiction.com - custom dyed discs

        www.WhidbeyIslandDiscGolf.com - club info

        Comment


        • #19
          i think that there are enough players around the puget sound area to have both events have good turnouts. you should go ahead and run your event on the weekend you planned. im pretty sure there will be people that wont get into the Showdown event, and having another tournament that weekend is a good option.

          also their are people that are more local to your area (up north) that would prefer to play that one instead of travelling all the way down to shelton to play.

          you can still get a really good turnout at your event if you ADVERTISE it really well, persistant flyers put up far and wide and keep talking about it. the better your advertising is for it the more people will come out.

          it is a great thing to have "too many" tournaments for disc golf!! since the tournaments are so far apart geographically they can both be succesfull and allow people to play closer to home.
          Team HOSER:dancing:
          Team OLY:cheerleader:
          Team Meteor

          "Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
            i think that there are enough players around the puget sound area to have both events have good turnouts. you should go ahead and run your event on the weekend you planned. im pretty sure there will be people that wont get into the Showdown event, and having another tournament that weekend is a good option.

            also their are people that are more local to your area (up north) that would prefer to play that one instead of travelling all the way down to shelton to play.

            you can still get a really good turnout at your event if you ADVERTISE it really well, persistant flyers put up far and wide and keep talking about it. the better your advertising is for it the more people will come out.

            it is a great thing to have "too many" tournaments for disc golf!! since the tournaments are so far apart geographically they can both be succesfull and allow people to play closer to home.

            YES, the ONE advantage my event will have is that you guys are Adv and Pro fields... BUT I have personally heard from MANY MANY players (ADV and PRO) that have said "Danni I'd love to come, but up against Shelton I have to choose Shelton" and I totally understand that, your payouts are sick and we love the event too.

            If we had always top out at 70 something players in past years, we would try and take the hit of losing the players to your event, but at 50 players we couldn't take a 20 person hit.

            I feel we have always published our event as well as we can, it's more about our location to the greater Seattle area.

            It is what it is, and I wish you had chosen a different date since you're not a multi-use park. You have a great and successful event, it's not your fault you're popular. I just have very little wiggle room for dates at my location.
            www.DiscAddiction.com - custom dyed discs

            www.WhidbeyIslandDiscGolf.com - club info

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Danni View Post
              YES, the ONE advantage my event will have is that you guys are Adv and Pro fields... BUT I have personally heard from MANY MANY players (ADV and PRO) that have said "Danni I'd love to come, but up against Shelton I have to choose Shelton" and I totally understand that, your payouts are sick and we love the event too.

              If we had always top out at 70 something players in past years, we would try and take the hit of losing the players to your event, but at 50 players we couldn't take a 20 person hit.

              I feel we have always published our event as well as we can, it's more about our location to the greater Seattle area.

              It is what it is, and I wish you had chosen a different date since you're not a multi-use park. You have a great and successful event, it's not your fault you're popular. I just have very little wiggle room for dates at my location.
              first i have to say that i am in no way involved with the shelton event. i know the guys that put it on, but thats it. so my comment is coming from an outside perspective purely in the interest of Disc Golf as a sport and Disc Golfers that like to play.

              dont cancel your event!! do you really realize just how many disc golfers there are in the puget sound area? the people that come on the forums regularly are a very small percentage. sure there is the crowd of tournament players that travel around the state each summer for tournaments, but even they represent a very small percentage of players. you might not get some of the "pros" that you want to attend, but dont take away the opportunity to play your event for the other people that would have signed up that are not interested in travelling all the way to shelton.

              i still hold to my comment on advertising, get the word out. and then keep the word out every chance you get, im sure you will be suprised at how many people you could get at your event. just do your thing for the people up north, make that your focus.
              Team HOSER:dancing:
              Team OLY:cheerleader:
              Team Meteor

              "Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
                dont cancel your event!! do you really realize just how many disc golfers there are in the puget sound area? the people that come on the forums regularly are a very small percentage. sure there is the crowd of tournament players that travel around the state each summer for tournaments, but even they represent a very small percentage of players. you might not get some of the "pros" that you want to attend, but dont take away the opportunity to play your event for the other people that would have signed up that are not interested in travelling all the way to shelton.

                i still hold to my comment on advertising, get the word out. and then keep the word out every chance you get, im sure you will be suprised at how many people you could get at your event. just do your thing for the people up north, make that your focus.
                Danni, any thought to "resetting" the tourney model to match the potential changes/attendance risks? That is, if you're still game for doing that. If part of the conflict is your own desire to be at Shelton yourself,... then you know that's another layer to this.

                any potential to downscale perhaps to take the risk level down? Instead of setting a break even attendance point at say 50 (or whatever it was, maybe 72 was break even, I hope not), find a model that takes it down to 35?

                Perhaps.. preserve tradition and continuity even at the expense of scaling back slightly. Maybe more grassroots oriented feel? Could be done. I know its tough to swallow the idea of being a downer year when we always want to be growing toward the limelight.

                Plus, when Shelton fills (perhaps quickly) it might be a great outlet for some.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by WestsoundBT View Post
                  Danni, any thought to "resetting" the tourney model to match the potential changes/attendance risks? That is, if you're still game for doing that. If part of the conflict is your own desire to be at Shelton yourself,... then you know that's another layer to this.

                  any potential to downscale perhaps to take the risk level down? Instead of setting a break even attendance point at say 50 (or whatever it was, maybe 72 was break even, I hope not), find a model that takes it down to 35?

                  Perhaps.. preserve tradition and continuity even at the expense of scaling back slightly. Maybe more grassroots oriented feel? Could be done. I know its tough to swallow the idea of being a downer year when we always want to be growing toward the limelight.

                  Plus, when Shelton fills (perhaps quickly) it might be a great outlet for some.

                  Yes, we considered a lot of those ideas, and honestly we have a "unique" situation here, with our "local/ garssroots players". We are a military area, which means by nature we have a "transient" club.

                  You are correct though we COULD scale it down, but we have only ever attempted one event a year, so we really don't love the idea of a smaller scale.

                  Also in previous years I would have done like you suggested and took the hit and kept the tournament ball rolling as it were, BUT this was to be the last event for us as TD's. Like 80% of our club, Tim is military and we are OUTTA HERE come early spring 2014.

                  We loved our time here, and tried to bring a positive face to disc golf in our local area. We hope the locals will keep the ball rolling after we are gone.


                  I appreciate all the support and I hope I'm not coming off "snotty" I DO truly "feel the love" and know you guys are trying to genuinely help with sound advice... and AGAIN, I'm not upset with Shelton either.


                  We're just gonna play as much as we can, and "say our good-byes" to all the locals. It's been an amazing 4.5 years!
                  www.DiscAddiction.com - custom dyed discs

                  www.WhidbeyIslandDiscGolf.com - club info

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Danni I'm not missing the RIO4 lol move it up early? July is a really slow month in the NW? Keep that in mind. Plus camping in your yard will be warm too lol for those who haven't been RIO 3 is an Awsome event great people tons of fun and games and amazing hosts

                    Jason
                    It ain't gonna be easy!!!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Danni move it up earlier? Maybe July sometime? I can't miss this event it was a blast last year and don't want to muss it. For those who haven't been, its a blast of a tournament great course and games and amazing hosts.

                      Jason
                      It ain't gonna be easy!!!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Danni View Post
                        Yes, we considered a lot of those ideas, and honestly we have a "unique" situation here, with our "local/ garssroots players". We are a military area, which means by nature we have a "transient" club.

                        You are correct though we COULD scale it down, but we have only ever attempted one event a year, so we really don't love the idea of a smaller scale.

                        Also in previous years I would have done like you suggested and took the hit and kept the tournament ball rolling as it were, BUT this was to be the last event for us as TD's. Like 80% of our club, Tim is military and we are OUTTA HERE come early spring 2014.

                        We loved our time here, and tried to bring a positive face to disc golf in our local area. We hope the locals will keep the ball rolling after we are gone.


                        I appreciate all the support and I hope I'm not coming off "snotty" I DO truly "feel the love" and know you guys are trying to genuinely help with sound advice... and AGAIN, I'm not upset with Shelton either.


                        We're just gonna play as much as we can, and "say our good-byes" to all the locals. It's been an amazing 4.5 years!

                        Danni,
                        I didn't know that you guys were moving out of area, I know you had mentioned this as a last time personally giving a run at directing. I think its safe to say that all of us down in Kitsap understand the transient stay aspect pretty well, and I imagine its even more present up on the Island.

                        With that in mind, I totally understand the hesitancy. Yeah, make the rounds and say your goodbyes to everyone in the tourney family.

                        Looking ahead for Whidbey... perhaps a more grassroots style of yearly event may in the end may be more sustainable for the area after you're gone.

                        A large (or growing) cash-added high skill driven event model is daunting for many to run, and sometimes leads to stomach lining eating thoughts about ending up in the red. You referenced "taking the hit" ...to which I hope that was in event status and not in a negative bottom revenue line. Because that certainly is not sustainable - thats special and unique charity!

                        Perhaps this year could have a small something that weekend - maybe you and Tim find someone(or a team) who could take the reigns for something in the next few years to come - give them the tools, in a sustainable plan and guidance, and let them try out their wings solo this year with you guys as a support crutch before and after the event. Then you guys could even come down to the Showdown.

                        The legacy could be that big thing that was, or it could also be the medium thing that still is.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I'm THRILLED to announce, after a nice swell of support from players AND extraordinary measures by the city park service, that the RISING ISLAND OPEN IV will happen in 2013!!

                          We will be moving the date to August 24 & 25, but we have the GREEN LIGHT!

                          We look forward to welcoming you to the "Island" for the 4th year of the RISING ISLAND OPEN!

                          Of course loads of details to follow ASAP (Sign-ups will start in May) and I hope to have all of the event details by the end of April!

                          I want to take a second to thank those players that contacted me directly and indirectly with their support of this event... YOU GUYS are the reason I tried so hard to make this happen. In addition NONE of my efforts would have been worth much if it hadn't been for the park service that contact the other users of the park (football and soccer clubs) to request that they have away games on these date to give us use of the entire park!

                          See you all in August!!

                          WOW, that means a MONTH of B tiers for Washington in August!! Lets hit some chains!
                          Last edited by Danni; March 20th, 2013, 11:52 AM.
                          www.DiscAddiction.com - custom dyed discs

                          www.WhidbeyIslandDiscGolf.com - club info

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            ^ great news! Glad it all worked out...especially for your last year hosting it.
                            "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**


                            You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
                            -- Arthur Ashe

                            Comment

                            Announcement Announcement Module
                            Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X