X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
    My repair took me an hour or so today, and lasted only about an hour. I am going to try to do it again tomorrow.
    what broke on it?

Comment

One of the wheels broke. The rim split in two from rust working inside it. I have built a new core and cut the center out of a pretty stout hand truck wheel and welded the new core with bearings into it. The trouble is, the center dip of the rim is too shallow to allow the 4-ply rated 410-350 4 tire to stretch onto the rim easily. I destroyed the tire bead getting the tire on and it failed. I will have to try again today with another tire, and can expect similar results for this incredibly hard job. I have days in this now. Some years ago, all of these finish mower decks went to solid tires. I checked on what it would cost to replace two of the wheel assemblies with the solid configuration on Wednesday and it would run me over $300 in Astoria.
      The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
      ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I backed off on the pressure in that bulging tire and got all but maybe an hour of the mow completed. It was really a tough slow mow and the tire blew just short of the goal line. So, we're mostly good for a couple more weeks.

Comment

harbor freight has a good selection of cheap wheels and tires, they might have something you can make work

Comment

It took cutting the beads with the sawzall to get the messed up tire bock off of the rim. After an hour of struggle I got another tire and tube installed. It looks like I might get the mow completed, if nothing else goes sideways. Taking an early lunch and will give'r a try. I had to do a couple of repairs on the Inn's rider mower before I worked on the deck today. I wonder if any golfers will show up this weekend?

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
            Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X