Fort Steilacoom Open **A-tier** June 23 & 24 Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
    i thought it was a totally legitimate question, if i want to play disc golf just for fun i will go play a round somewhere. when it comes to tournament time, it is alot more than just fun that motivates me to play. there is no point in playing in a tournament if there isnt any prizes/cash/players pack that is up for grabs. the only exception is fundraiser tournaments. and when i am talking about tournaments i am talking about PDGA sanctioned events.

    so dont feel bad about asking about prizes and stuff.
    Thank you, I feel understood
    "When a ball dreams, it dreams it is a frisbee."

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
      Really? Which sanctioned tournies?
      I saw ams at the Rizzle get money...Showdown...Whiners...Chili Smack?. I could be wrong but they all showed dollar values next to places and I thought I saw them get checks...now I could be totally incorrect here, if so my bad. Maybe it was script and I'm stupid.
      Last edited by ski2man; March 16th, 2012, 07:01 AM.
      "When a ball dreams, it dreams it is a frisbee."

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by ski2man View Post
        I saw ams at the Rizzle get money...Showdown...Whiners...Chili Smack?. I could be wrong but they all showed dollar values next to places and I thought I saw them get checks...now I could be totally incorrect here, if so my bad. Maybe it was script and I'm stupid.
        Yes, that posted payout for the Am Division is a scrip amount. A big part of my "Ugh!" was that there are so many variables that decide what an events payout will be that there is simply no way to be certain until the event fills and the players pack has been finalized.

        For instance, whether your division has 10 people or 20 people makes a huge difference in what the payout will be. Similarly, Mike usually puts together a pretty cool players pack for everyone, and that too has an affect on overall payout. The bottom line... there is simply no way to know what the payout will be on the day registration opens.

        I do know one thing though... if you sign up and play this event, you are pretty much guaranteed to have a great time... whether you "cash" or not.

        Peace,

        Jeff
        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

        Comment


        • #19
          If you are a current pdga member do you get $10 off from the entry fee? I tried to read all that was posted and didn't see anything regarding this. Sorry if I missed it.
          "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**


          You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
          -- Arthur Ashe

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by JR Stengele View Post
            If you are a current pdga member do you get $10 off from the entry fee? I tried to read all that was posted and didn't see anything regarding this. Sorry if I missed it.
            You have to be a current PDGA member to play in an A tier, so I would assume their is no discount since membership is required to play.

            Cindy
            Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
            2013 Chick Flick co-TD
            Stumptown #176
            PDGA #37716

            Comment


            • #21
              This would only be my second A Tier w/ the first being in 2009 at the BSF. Thanks.
              "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**


              You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
              -- Arthur Ashe

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
                i thought it was a totally legitimate question, if i want to play disc golf just for fun i will go play a round somewhere. when it comes to tournament time, it is alot more than just fun that motivates me to play. there is no point in playing in a tournament if there isnt any prizes/cash/players pack that is up for grabs. the only exception is fundraiser tournaments. and when i am talking about tournaments i am talking about PDGA sanctioned events.

                so dont feel bad about asking about prizes and stuff.


                I agree it pays to ask questions so you are not surprised. Obviously, exact payout a td can never predict until the day the event starts. Sometimes not even then if you add raffle sales, cfr purchases, etc.
                Sounds like advanced has a pretty nice basket for the winner Someone will be happy.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Try a dictionary. Look up "professional." Then look up"amateur." PS: I would not have flamed you if you had not admitted playing for 15 years.
                  Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                  Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                  Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                  Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                  Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by ski2man View Post
                    So, apparently a few people think I'm an ass. Love talking in text. I suck...I just want to know what I'm playing for, that's all. "ugh" my ass. It's a fair question. I have yet to win anything, I play for the fun and competition of it all. This is my third FSO and I've been playing for near 15 years...don't think I'm in it for the money if I'm in Intermediate. I think that was a fair question, but whatever. Now as far as pros only being paid out in cash, that seems wrong to me, I've seen plenty of sanctioned tournies that pay out ams in cash, so again...fair question. Thanks for the clarifications that didn't act like I'm a money grubbin' whore. In addition, I'm a teacher...doing it for the money...not in my wheelhouse. Can't wait to see everyone there in a few months. Maybe i can win a trophy for once.

                    Oh well...I was probably one of the first people to sign up since I did it about 15 minutes after Rideout posted the tourney on here...so did it matter what I was playing for no, just curious...let's do what I tell my students, don't judge a book by it's cover and be courteous and answer questions without assuming the worst. While we're all doing that, I'll do the other thing I tell my students...ignore rude people.

                    Again...whatever, good thing I love this game.
                    oh, for heaven's sake. probably no one thinks you're an ass... i like knowing how much i'm going to win, too... just that it was like the third post in the thread months before the event is probably what struck people...

                    one thing i really appreciated that kristopher did at the aloha sushi classic last year was to have payout printed and posted conspiculously at tournament central in a few different places... that way i didn't have to feel like a money grubber by asking how many spots were going to get paid out and i could continue to perpetuate the charade that i am in this for the love of the game and not just the money

                    sorry i made you feel bad. that wasn't cool of me.

                    emma
                    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                      I do know one thing though... if you sign up and play this event, you are pretty much guaranteed to have a great time... whether you "cash" or not.

                      Peace,

                      Jeff
                      This is true, I have played in a few of his events in the past. I agree, guy puts together a great time. This is why I had signed up for the event before I posted that first question. I was just wondering because a goal of mine this year after playing "competitively" for the last three years out of so many is to finally "cash" so to speak. I'm just not good competitively. I could have sworn people got money but I guess I just don't know the biz and since I've never been in the money.... anyway I am sorry for my over the top reply but I'm sick of being misunderstood on this forum, and I felt misunderstood, it has happened multiple times on here. This is why I hate "Text". Again sorry Jeff and Emma, just sensitive I suppose ha. thanks for the replies.
                      Last edited by ski2man; March 16th, 2012, 11:45 PM.
                      "When a ball dreams, it dreams it is a frisbee."

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                        Try a dictionary. Look up "professional." Then look up"amateur." PS: I would not have flamed you if you had not admitted playing for 15 years.
                        have only played in tournies for a couple years, some people just love tossing a disc and don't need tournies, started to feel like some competition but who knows how long that will last for me...the dictionary doesn't have pdga rules in it, so i didn't think of that one, touche...and i don't particularly enjoy reading the rule book, lost mine.

                        PS:what is "flaming" someone? is this some new slang for burning me? guess i'm not one of the cool kids...oh well.

                        I just don't think I should have to consult a dictionary when I can ask a simple question on the forum about a tournament...but fair statement, i should have known, stupid me.
                        Last edited by ski2man; March 17th, 2012, 06:39 AM.
                        "When a ball dreams, it dreams it is a frisbee."

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Ski2man........just my opinion, i would not lose any sleep over this and i am sure you will not. As most people understand the only dumb question is one that is not asked........very legit question and well within your rights.

                          So far, the northwest doubles is the only cash payout for the advanced division that i know of. There may have been several non-sanctioned events that have paid cash to the amatuer divisions, but for the most part it is strictly script.

                          Hope you can still make it for this event..........fso is a great tournament and i personally would hate to see anyone miss it due to any forum dicussions.
                          WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE A SPIDER BITE.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by SPIDER-DAN View Post
                            Ski2man........just my opinion, i would not lose any sleep over this and i am sure you will not. As most people understand the only dumb question is one that is not asked........very legit question and well within your rights.

                            So far, the northwest doubles is the only cash payout for the advanced division that i know of. There may have been several non-sanctioned events that have paid cash to the amatuer divisions, but for the most part it is strictly script.

                            Hope you can still make it for this event..........fso is a great tournament and i personally would hate to see anyone miss it due to any forum dicussions.
                            Thanks for the additional clarification there. You're right, no lost sleep As far as missing a tourny for crap on a forum...no way. Like I said, I signed up the tourny about 15 minutes after Rideout posted the first post on this feed. I do like the FSO and will enjoy it. And no one and nothing anyone can say can keep me from playing disc when I want to. As you said just needed a question answered and it exploded. Well, thanks again and I won't need to ask that dumb question again! hehe. Take care, will see you at the FSO.

                            Oh i guess I have one more silly question...is the script usually with a sponsor of the event...I'm assuming yes, just another dumb question. Thanks.
                            Last edited by ski2man; March 18th, 2012, 11:41 AM.
                            "When a ball dreams, it dreams it is a frisbee."

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by ski2man View Post
                              have only played in tournies for a couple years, some people just love tossing a disc and don't need tournies, started to feel like some competition but who knows how long that will last for me...the dictionary doesn't have pdga rules in it, so i didn't think of that one, touche...and i don't particularly enjoy reading the rule book, lost mine.

                              PS:what is "flaming" someone? is this some new slang for burning me? guess i'm not one of the cool kids...oh well.

                              I just don't think I should have to consult a dictionary when I can ask a simple question on the forum about a tournament...but fair statement, i should have known, stupid me.
                              Sorry, it can get pretty sarcastic in here, and I can get carried away myself. Take it easy on the self-deprecation; it only encourages more to pile on. No one means anything personal by it, and you're right that it is difficult to interpret subtleties through written communication.

                              Tournament disc golfers on the whole are a kind and supportive community, and your questions and participation are truly welcomed. Anyway, some of the main distinctions between amateur and pro divisions are:

                              *) Pros play for cash, amateurs play for prizes
                              *) Pros have to pay more for their PDGA membership
                              *) Only Pro divisions are offered at NT (National Tour) tier events
                              *) There are some restrictions against Pros playing in certain amateur divisions

                              Most of the key information is contained in:

                              http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/..._Play_2011.pdf

                              http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/...anual_2011.pdf

                              http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/...sionGrid_0.pdf

                              Hope those help; have a good tournament season!
                              Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                              Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                              Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                              Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                              Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                                Sorry, it can get pretty sarcastic in here, and I can get carried away myself. Take it easy on the self-deprecation; it only encourages more to pile on. No one means anything personal by it, and you're right that it is difficult to interpret subtleties through written communication.
                                Self-deprecation is just a lovely part of my personality Thanks for the info treelove.
                                "When a ball dreams, it dreams it is a frisbee."

                                Comment

                                Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X