ROC Versus BUZZZ!!! First time event in West Sound! - May 5th N.A.D. Park Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by papatart View Post
    I think the "Roc VS Buzzz" is a very fun idea. I only wish it had been more of a "one disc" competition to truly show that the Buzzz is the disc over the Roc. Roc players would never be able to even compete in the event if each entrant had to come to the event with a brand new Roc or Buzzz of their choice. Why? Because (a) no one really knows what each new Roc will throw like and (b) the players that do throw Rocs usually say that their favorite "tuned" Roc is one that is seasoned, beat in and flies straighter rather than overstable....like a brand new Buzzz out of the box.

Game on...the times have changed....the most popular midrange disc is now the Buzzz....and there is more than one reason for it.

So if you want to slap me down, I'll bring a brand new Z Buzzz and you can grab a brand new Champion Roc at a local shop and we...oh wait...that's right, you can't even get the supposed greatest disc ever in champion plastic unless you want to spend a mint. You know what, just grab a Buzz and let's go have some fun.

Later!!!!!
    Papa
    champion Rocs are available off the shelf now. Everyone knows the wasp and buzz are just re-tooled Rocs how original lol
    Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
    Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

BINGO

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
      The DX Roc is so good, most players dont need champion plastic! The Champion Roc is just the ace in the hole!
      Word!
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      - Anonymous

Comment

I dont think all champion mold rocs are available right off the shelf. Most of the champion rocs on the shelves are the new plus mold or some other mold other than rancho (which is the most common and what mostly gets tossed by roc throwers). I believe some retooled san marino rocs came out, but it would be hard to get an ontario mold off the shelf.

I wish it was more of a midrange battle rather than just one disc. I am loving my buzzz ss, glow buzzz, wasp, hornet, drone combination..............sorry rocs.............you may never make it back in my bag again.
        WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE A SPIDER BITE.

Comment

Originally posted by Darr View Post
          Everyone knows the wasp and buzz are just re-tooled Rocs how original lol
          Show me the similarities between the Buzzz and the Roc. They are completely different. The Wasp might be a version of the Roc, but who really cares. I would never stop throwing my wasp, but when I need to be sure I always reach for the Buzzz!

Comment

i have always thought it would be cool to have a tournament along the lines of Roc Vs. Buzzz, but with a twist to it. it would be a 2 round tournament and with the entry fee each person would recieve 2 discs, 1 roc and 1 buzzz. 1 round would be played with one of the discs and the 2nd round would be played with the other disc.

it would give everybody a chance to actually use each disc and see which one performs better for them. and like Scott was saying, all the discs would be new so there wouldnt be any advantages. well execpt discraft players would have an advantage because you can pick up a brand new disc and you will know for sure how it will fly because of discrafts consistant plastic.
            Team HOSER:dancing:
            Team OLY:cheerleader:
            Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Originally posted by ScottW View Post
              What an awesome idea for an event. I may have to look into this for a similar type event in my area. GREAT IDEA!
              And you know that Team Buzzz would kick the crap out of Team Roc if you threw it over here. I'll say it again, Buzzz FTW!
              "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
              Cleveland Brown

Comment

I totally like the idea of two new discs. Unfortunately, you'd have those Innova purists refusing to touch a Buzzz. My guess is because they'd throw the Buzzz and realize what they've been missing out on.

Still, A Buzzz is not a Roc. A Wasp is a Roc. A Mako is more like a Buzzz.
                "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                Cleveland Brown

Comment

Interestingly...

The two disc player pack Roc V Buzzz has been done before. In my research leading up to our Westsound version of Roc v Buzzz I found a number of different iterations. The two round, two disc version was one. Some others went one disc, some allowed putters (then had to get all technical on when it could be used)

Interestingly, the two disc player pack offering seemed like they had some trouble getting the discs sourced, since they wanted both the roc and buzzz images worked into a hotstamp, although I believe they got what they wanted.

This really fun, really pride-on-the-line, put up or shut up event is part of a weekend of events we've set aside each year where there's no entry fees, no player packs, no script deals, no ratings, no... well, you get the picture...

but still the world to play for! So keep the smack talk flowing and lets rumble in May!

"On the cinq-o de may-o..
                  the Buzzzes and Rocs will Fly-o!"

Comment

Originally posted by papatart View Post
                    I think the "Roc VS Buzzz" is a very fun idea. I only wish it had been more of a "one disc" competition to truly show that the Buzzz is the disc over the Roc. Roc players would never be able to even compete in the event if each entrant had to come to the event with a brand new Roc or Buzzz of their choice. Why? Because (a) no one really knows what each new Roc will throw like and (b) the players that do throw Rocs usually say that their favorite "tuned" Roc is one that is seasoned, beat in and flies straighter rather than overstable....like a brand new Buzzz out of the box.

Game on...the times have changed....the most popular midrange disc is now the Buzzz....and there is more than one reason for it.

So if you want to slap me down, I'll bring a brand new Z Buzzz and you can grab a brand new Champion Roc at a local shop and we...oh wait...that's right, you can't even get the supposed greatest disc ever in champion plastic unless you want to spend a mint. You know what, just grab a Buzz and let's go have some fun.

Later!!!!!
                    Papa
                    So what i see you are saying is that a buzzz is like a used car off the back lot.
                    And a roc is like a new car off the show room floor, not off the back lot
                    Sounds like the roc has great value and the buzzz is not on car facts
                    show me your roc facts.to many titles to list.

Comment

I throw both Innova and Discraft and don't have any allegiance to either brand. Disccraft putters have always felt better to me and lately I have been carrying a x wasp, flx buzz, and z buzz ss, as my midrange discs (I used to have rocs beat in at different levels in the bag and may at some point go back to them). For drivers I have always preferred the way innova's different molds fly especially in relation to each other and I've thrown plenty of disccraft drivers. Meaning when I throw two different molds the same way I like the suttle flight variations I get with innova.

That being said, I hear the "disccraft discs are better because they fly more predictably new than innova new" argument quite a lot. To me this argument doesn't really make sense nor do I think it's the determining factor in which disc is better. Reason being is even if new discraft flies more predictably than new innova (which may be true), how many of us rely on brand new discs for competitive disc golf? Aside from the occasional odd tournament where you can only use new discs, I'd bet that most skilled disccraft throwers still like to have built some trust in their specific discs before they go into a bag for a round of important golf. I'd also be willing to bet the majority of skilled disccraft throwers break in backup discs so they have that established trust in their backup discs if they need to go in the bag.

Personally, my backups from both brands of discs won't get the opportunity to play in the game if they haven't paid their dues in practice. What then becomes the most important thing to me is how does that disc fly after it's been broken in (the condition it will actually get used). I'd much rather have a disc that flies the way I want it to fly after it's been broken than a disc that flies sort of the way I want it to fly brand new.

Basically, a brand new disc comparison only determines what discs are better brand new and says little about the overall value of the disc. The overall value of the disc to me is how does that disc fly after it's been broken in and trust has been established, not before.
                      Read this ^

Comment

Originally posted by Big dawg 99 View Post
                        So what i see you are saying is that a buzzz is like a used car off the back lot.
                        What I think he was saying is a Buzzz is like a supercharged Hemi out of the box, where as a Roc needs some serious tuning before it reaches that level of perfection...

Comment

[QUOTE=SPIDER-DAN;115822]I dont think all champion mold rocs are available right off the shelf. Most of the champion rocs on the shelves are the new plus mold or some other mold other than rancho (which is the most common and what mostly gets tossed by roc throwers). I believe some retooled san marino rocs came out, but it would be hard to get an ontario mold off the shelf.

I wish it was more of a midrange battle rather than just one disc. I am loving my buzzz ss, glow buzzz, wasp, hornet, drone combination..............sorry rocs.............you may never make it back in my bag again
                          Drinking way too much of that pappa tart kool-aid...hopefully somebody can talk ya down off that DC ledge..... So got any rocs on close out

Comment

As you already know dan..........i have plenty of usdgc rocs for sell and i mean plenty. I will see you at white river this weekend and if anyone wants me to bring any rocs of any kind i can. I mostly have usdgc rocs........champion rancho, champion san marino, champion ontario, star rancho, etc. Also have 11x kc pro and some really cool 150 class from japan open........not as understable as you might think.

Prices vary depending on mold and plastic. If no one has a request i will not bring any..........i really dont have much use for the rocs since the discraft line of midranges covers it all.
                            WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE A SPIDER BITE.

Comment

Originally posted by SPIDER-DAN View Post
                              As you already know dan..........i have plenty of usdgc rocs for sell and i mean plenty. I will see you at white river this weekend and if anyone wants me to bring any rocs of any kind i can. I mostly have usdgc rocs........champion rancho, champion san marino, champion ontario, star rancho, etc. Also have 11x kc pro and some really cool 150 class from japan open........not as understable as you might think.

Prices vary depending on mold and plastic. If no one has a request i will not bring any..........i really dont have much use for the rocs since the discraft line of midranges covers it all.
                              Dan, I'd be happy to take all your max or near max weight 11x KC pro Rocs off your hands, send me a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big dawg 99 View Post
                                Nope, what I am saying is that NO ONE wants to throw a brand new Roc because it doesn't fly the way they want it to. They have to throw the disc (poorly) so that it hits enough trees to finally start to act like the disc they want it to. Which happens to be how a Buzzz throws right out of the box.

As for the argument from DMajor, he made my point exactly. You don't don't count on a new Roc out of the box because (A) it doesn't fly like your beat in tuned Roc (Buzzz flight) and (B) it is hard to say exactly just how over stable it will be because you just never know from run to run.

You see, it's not that I play with a brand new disc all the time, but it is awesome for a player to buy a disc, know how it is going to throw right out of the box and hold that line of throwing in its lifetime (Thank you Z and ESP plastic). Sure, you can take that DX Roc and beat it into submission so that it now throws properly (like a brand new or used Buzzz) but don't smack another tree with it because then it becomes your turnover Roc and now you have to work on getting another favorite Roc ready for your bag.

So yeah, bring out your 8 different Rocs that all fly differently, I will bring my Buzzz (only one needed) and we can have a little fun. I will say that all kidding aside (which is what this has all been), if you are not a sponsored player, you owe it to yourself to try all discs no matter what brand. Don't be swayed by blind loyalty as you may miss out on a really great disc (I.E. I really think the Northman is an awesome driver that a lot of people would probably love to throw). The last time I went back East, it was amazing how almost everyone's bag was Innova drivers and Discraft mids. So have fun and try 'em all!

See ya' soon!
                                Scott "Buzzz lover" Papa
                                Team Discraft
                                Instructional Editor DiscGolfer Magazine

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X