Fort steilacoom closure for wa state team disc golf....please read! Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort steilacoom closure for wa state team disc golf....please read!

This is the first annoucement that the fort steilacoom disc golf course will be closed to the public / casual play on sunday january 29, 2012. We are hosting the third (3rd) event of the 2012 washington state team disc golf season.

There will be twelve (12) teams participating in this event with approximately nine (9) players per team. As you can see there will be 108 players showing up and that will not leave much if any room for any players. To host such an event it is a mandate to have the course closed. So arrangements have been made by the club and permission was granted.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, but as you can see it is necessary so the event can proceed as planned. Thank you again for your patience and understanding.
    WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE A SPIDER BITE.

Wow, it must cost a ton to rent the park, how do you come up with that kind of scratch?
    Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
    Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
    Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
    Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
    Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

You cant close the park, it's a public place.
      If the baskets are there, on public property, anyone has the right to use them at any time.
      The club can't discriminate, either everyone plays, or they pull the baskets.

If someone wants to play that day, they can go play.

Thanks for the ignorant warning though.

Close the park :chuckles:

Comment

As a matter of fact, all of the courses we play for WATDG this year will be CLOSED to the public. All appropriate channels have been gone through. Thanks for your support.
        A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Originally posted by captain jack View Post
          You cant close the park, it's a public place.
          If the baskets are there, on public property, anyone has the right to use them at any time.
          The club can't discriminate, either everyone plays, or they pull the baskets.

If someone wants to play that day, they can go play.

Thanks for the ignorant warning though.

Close the park :chuckles:
          I don't know if I should respond to this statement because it feels quite trollish. Or maybe I'm real thick and i can't catch sarcasm.

A few examples when public parks and amenities can not be used by all the public at all times: If a club or person plans ahead and reserves a soccer field, softball diamond, park shelter, basketball court, camp ground, obstacle course, an open field, a band shelter.... anything really. A Disc Golf course is not an exception. A lot of times if you give a Parks Department plenty of notice of an event they will even wave the rental fee.

In the case of Fort Steilacoom the Peirce County Disc Golf Players Association has an agreement with the county, and are allowed to close the course to those who are not a part of an event. Most of the time we tell people that there is a large event going on and that the course is really busy and the play is quite slow. Most of the time they say "Really? I didn't know" and they leave to play another course. If they choose to continue playing and are disruptive to the event, if worse comes to worse, they can be removed. I would never want this to happen, and that is why there is prior notice.

Why would you claim someone is ignorant because they are giving notice to Disc Golfers throughout the region that Fort Steilacoom is closed to public (casual play) for a scheduled event? I know its just message board banter, but why rock the boat?

Comment

Game. Set. Match. Thanks for playing.
            (Sorry guys, I could not help myself)

Why rock the boat when you can sink a cruise ship!
            "Remember boys this ain't therapy"-Jub.
            PDGA # 42821
            Push-ups owed to: thebakedone 1,856.

Comment

(Reads Chris and John's response)
              :chuckles:
              Basket thieves

Comment

one other aspect of this is that steillicoom disc golf course isnt a "public park" like some disc golf courses are. the land is leased from the county by the local disc golf club. the club pays the yearly lease, they certainly have the right to close the course for an event if they want to.
                Team HOSER:dancing:
                Team OLY:cheerleader:
                Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Wow havent been on here for a while and never got into the drama mumbo jumbo on here but take the closure announcement as a courtesy to you and screw off for the day

Comment

HELLO ALL!!!

I'm an officer with the Oregon State University and the Tournament Director for the Northwest Collegiate Invitational, a qualifying event for collegiate nationals. I have been trying to get in touch with Washington school teams/clubs and it has been unsuccessful, nothing online has helped me.

If teams exist at Washington schools please let them know that there are 2 slots at nationals to compete for this March 10-11 at Milo McIver...Unless of course you want all the West coast teams at Nationals to be from Oregon and California!!

Check out the thread:
                    http://nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/show...467#post113568

Check out Facebook:
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/nwcinvitational/

Comment

Here's a lead: Contact or find a contact with Northwest University in Kirkland, WA. There is a new-ish course on their campus. Perhaps if spurned to action by an event, perhaps they may self organize a team or club to attend - I doubt there is either now, but if not this time, then maybe in the future.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                      Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X