• Show
Clear All

• Greenlake Ice Bowl - PDGA C-tier - Sat February 28th

Greenlake Ice Bowl aka 2nd Annual PRETZELBOWL
    Supporting Northwest Harvest Food Bank
    PDGA C-tier Event
    Saturday February 28th, 2009

8:30-9:15 Registration - 9:15 Players meeting - 9:30 Start

Format: Singles - 3 rounds of 12 holes (24 holes a.m./12 holes p.m) at Woodland Park in Seattle
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Registration details: Total registration is LIMITED to 48 players/4 per hole - No exceptions, no 5somes!
    Total cost is $9.00 for ALL DIVISIONS
    Entry is mainly to cover costs but all additional proceeds will go to the Northwest Harvest Foodbank on Cherry Street in Seattle: www.northwestharvest.org
    Additional donations are HIGHLY suggested, even $5 helps a great deal!

ALL PLAYERS MUST check-in by 9:15

Send paypal to cefire@sbcglobal.net
    OR send a check payable to "Andrew Rivers" to 709 North 74th Street, Seattle, WA 98103
    AND send along an email with: Name - Division - PDGA# - Address - Phone - Email

Prizes: Because of the small entry fee and charity focus of this event, there will be no/minimal payout

Divisions offered: Any division requested will be offered, but since we are not playing for prizes, I highly recommend everyone play in the same division ("Open")

Questions/Comments to Andrew Rivers at cefire@sbcglobal.net or 630-674-8614 or see www.nwdiscgolfnews.com for more details.
    Last edited by cefire; January 21st, 2009, 07:14 PM.
    'Weekend 4 Women':
    Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
    Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Please feel free to ask questions. In the meantime here's two to get it started:

Will there be prizes/payout? - No, the entry is only $9 which covers fees, additional proceeds will go to Northwest Harvest

How will ratings be calculated? - Ratings will be based on 2 rounds of 18 holes to keep ratings from having huge swings - this will be standardized across all divisions/players

Can I make a recognized contribution to the Northwest Harvest (i.e. Tournament Sponsorship)? Of course, email me and I'll put your message/logo in the tournament program
    Last edited by cefire; January 21st, 2009, 07:22 PM.
    'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

Awesome. I assume food donations are also accepted/encouraged?
      Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Yes, food donations are always encouraged, but not required.

Registration is up on PDGA.com: http://www.pdga.com/event?TournID=8610
        I'm usually really good about updating this pretty much every night so if you aren't yet on the list and you think you should be, contact ASAP.

Baskets will be needed, I'll be reserving a few spots for those who can bring metal baskets. Please post or pm if you have one you can bring and huge thanks to those who can bring them.
        'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

FYI - Over halfway full - closes at 48 so get in soon...
          'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

OK, here is a map I put together for parking; we'll be using the North end of the park. The red square is where I plan on having tournament central/check in at (just south of the lawn bowling courts). Parking areas nearby are in blue and ways into the park are in orange.

Enter from Aurora (must be northbound lanes), turn right at 59th street and take the first left into the large parking lot.
            The other entrance you can use is off of Greenlake way if you take the road just north of the tennis courts and take a right turn at the dead end.

'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

While I'm at it, here is a map of the proposed layout for the first and second rounds of 12. This may change but I'm pretty happy with it so far...

Hole 1: Slightly uphill turnover with basket tucked around the corner of a mandatory tree. Risk/reward hole as a perfectly placed roller or tight turnover will yield the birdie, come up short on the mando and you'll have a tough shot for par.

Hole 2: Long uphill straight shot with a wooded teeing area; basket is tucked in amidst a small bunch of pines making a left to right approach necessary.

Hole 3: From both tees, a dual fairway shot with a low ceiling turnover or sweeping hyzer available. Dangerous basket placement on the downslope of a hill and danger all along the right side in the form of a trench and thick trees.

Hole 4: Teeing off from the center of a small valley, basket is placed at the end of the tunnel. High, uphill turnover will be needed.

Hole 5: First round, a short slightly downhill turnover through a moderately tight window. Second round it plays as a long down hill dual fairway with a shorter tight turnover route and a longer sweep hyzer route through pines.

Hole 6: Shorter uphill flick or turnover shot - probably the easiest two on the course although elevation will add some challenge.

Hole 7: Somewhat short downhill shot with a tough somewhat blind basket placement. Larger dropoffs behind the basket and off the left side of the fairway. With a good drive its a two, bad drives can find trouble quickly.

Hole 8: Up and over a hill, definitely a hole that will favor those who can toss up a big, long hyzer. The rest of us will be looking to place our second shot close or running a long downhill birdie putt.

Hole 9: Really tight straight downhill through young stand of trees. Not a ton of danger but the drive will have to be perfect to go clean to the basket.

Hole 10: Short straight shot straight up to the top of a rock lined hill. Long of the basket will be OB but coming up short will leave you on the rocks with no footing and a really tough uphill putt.

Hole 11: Tight turnover shot through a narrow tunnel of trees. Going to be a tough birdie.

Hole 12: Downhill open shot with the basket tucked into a tight grouping of trees. OB path runs down both sides of the fairway getting tighter until it converges behind the basket.

The last round is going to have a some new holes, added distance, and will be a lot tougher.

'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

GREENLAKE ICE BOWL IS FULL

If you believe you have registered but don't see your name on the list - contact me ASAP. I'll post a wait list on here. People will likely drop out with a little over a month left.
                Last edited by cefire; January 29th, 2009, 05:24 PM.
                'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

Wait List:

1. Gordy Kirkpatrick
                  2. Kyle Sutherland
                  3. Curtis Huber
                  4. Keith Kinton
                  5. Tony Walker
                  6. Mark Kilmer
                  7. Paul Wright

I'm also getting quite a few donations - keep them coming guys or bring them on the day of the event!
                  'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

Hole distances

Borrowed a wheel from the generous Chad C. with the help of Ben M. and measured distances today.

Round 1 average hole length (278ft)
                    Round 2 average hole length (417ft)
                    Total distance is somewhere near Lakewood long baskets but the elevation makes a lot of these shorter looking holes play a lot longer and some of the longer holes a lot lot longer.

Round 1 (first lap)
                    1. 240
                    2. 290
                    3. 376
                    4. 233
                    5. 218
                    6. 274
                    7. 200
                    8. 242
                    9. 228
                    10. 220
                    11. 240
                    12. 343

Round 2 (Second lap)
                    1. 300
                    2. 473 - Par 4
                    3. 400
                    4. 233
                    5. 332
                    6. 248
                    7. 236
                    8. 320
                    9. 215
                    10. 200
                    11. 355
                    12. 265

Round 2 (just 12 holes)
                    1. 523 - Par 4
                    2. 421 - Par 4
                    3. 498
                    4. 385 - Par 4
                    5. 466 - Par 4
                    6. 240
                    7. 281
                    8. 432 - Par 4
                    9. 285
                    10. 230
                    11. 473 - Par 4
                    12. 772 - I'm leaning towards par 5, would be a sweet eagle if someone can do it

Had a little movement on the waiting list with Gordy K and Kyle S getting in. Current wait list:
                    1. Curtis Huber
                    2. Keith Kinton
                    3. Tony Walker
                    4. Mark Kilmer
                    5. Paul Wright
                    6. Ryan Boo
                    7. Gerardo diPietro
                    8. Chad Charf
                    9. Jeff Elliot
                    Last edited by cefire; February 22nd, 2009, 08:35 PM.
                    'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

any changes? Will there be course maps? Anything I/other players need to be prepared for?
                      Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!
                      DDGA #202; WDDGA #37; ODDGA #47 ; PDGA #38171

Comment

I'll be handing out a tournament program which will have maps, hole distances and hole notes tomorrow. Only 1 or 2 minor changes to the holes but nothing big. I'll have the whole course flagged early tomorrow morning so anyone who wants to start practicing can show up early.

Bring a mini, pencil, and any donations and be there by 9:00-9:15. Hopefully people check this board with ODSA down but I have a feeling there will be stragglers. See everyone tomorrow.
                        'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

Thanks to everybody who came out today - Woodland is an awesome place for golf!!!

PDGA results are posted along with preliminary round ratings although I think these will be pretty close to the finalized version: http://www.pdga.com/tournament-resul...rnID=8610#Open

We raised a lot of $$$ - I haven't totaled up everything but I think we are over $400 and maybe even close to $500. I'll relay that info probably on Monday or Tuesday when I go through the full PDGA reporting. On top of that, we had a TON of food donated as well, which I'll weigh and then post on here as well - awesome guys! Special thanks to people who brought food, baskets, donations, and some prizes to give away (DB, Toby, Papa...)

Huge congratulations to Matt Gill who not only aced his first hole of the day but ended up hoisting the Pretzel at the end of the day!!!

Also had an ace on the last throw of the day from Ben Minson on the island hole second round.
                          'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

Awesome, awesome event. 30 years I believe, is the time I heard since there's been a sanctioned event at Woodland Park, and these new transplants to the area stepped up and and got things done. As if that weren't impressive enough, the tourney was extremely well organized, everything ran smoothly and on time, the caddy books were fantastic, and you could just see the amount of thought that went into the hole designs. Flippin' superb. I really liked the way the 24 + 12 format played out too, I felt like it was just the right amount of golf, enough to leave me feeling pleasantly exhausted by the end of the day, but not so much that I could only go on autopilot for the last holes.

And the hole design--if anybody has a piece of property that they've considered putting some disc golf holes on, I would recommend letting Andrew and Sheila take a look at it. I can't do justice to the designs with descriptions here, but the two of them put together some great golf holes where fairway placement was key, making great use of (logical) OB, elevation and natural gaps in the vegetation. Definitely none of them were gimmes, but all were fair. All the holes were great, the final 12 though of course really shined. I'd have to say that holes 5 and 11 especially stood out to me as being especially fun and challenging. You know they're good holes if you wake up the next morning thinking about how you can play them better, and then have to remind yourself that it was a temp course.

My only regrets from the day were that there isn't a permanent course installed that I can go back to, and that Andrew didn't get to shoot the course after all the hard work that he put into it. But who knows, this may have sown the seeds for a future remedy to both of those regrets!

Great job, Andy and Sheila (and Pretzel, too!), I had a ton of fun, and THANK YOU for all that you did to make this event happen!

Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Ditto to what Tim noted. I couldn't believe I could go home for lunch and be back for the players meeting for round two. Boy, I can't add much ... other than thank you both for your dedication and time. Honestly, with money raised for NW Harvest, our education and stewardship of the park, I certainly can see that the parks and rec would allow 1-2 tourneys per year. I would hope they can see that with disc golfers present and (hopefully) taking care of the area that some of the "undesireables" won't be slopping trash all over the place. Again, thanks a lot for making this possible! If was very fun.

P.S. I'm gonna want to babysit that Pretzel ... he's too cute!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X