X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning for future WSS

If most of you don't know I was asked and accepted the task of reigniting the WSS for 2012. This will be no small task and the series needs your help.

http://groups.google.com/group/wss-planning-
    Here is the group site. It will be available for all to read but you must be a member to post. My goal is to have all the issues (including schedule) ironed out by the first of the year if not sooner.

Series board formation
    Series Coordinator,Treasurer, Secretary, Public relations and Promotions
    In addition I have requested that every club be represented on the board as well as an At large Am and Pro representative.

I see these positions as vital so If any of them appeals to you let me know and I will act upon your request.

thanks in advance jub
    rewindb.com

My wife, Danni, can represent Whidbey Island Disc Golf
    www.DiscAddiction.com - Apparel, Custom Discs, and more
    www.WhidbeyIslandDiscGolf.com - club details

Comment

Originally posted by Yammits View Post
      My wife, Danni, can represent Whidbey Island Disc Golf
      Thanks
      rewindb.com

Comment

The West Sound Disc Golf Association (WSDGA) board has stated that I can represent the WSDGA. I have just joined the WSS Planning Group on Google.

Comment

and were off, as they leave the gate it's Kenny B followed closely by the yammits
          rewindb.com

Comment

Sign up Mr. Kilmer, Mr. Frieling and myself up for the group... we'll be representing Pierce County
            Last edited by Mr. Anderson; October 13th, 2011, 10:35 AM.

Comment

I'll represent for the SDGA.
              Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

Since I won't be following the official thread on google groups, I just wanted to state my $0.02. I will stay informed on the WA series by my West Sound representative.

Due to the number of events available to attend (national trend), the WA state series has lots of competition. There is a limited number of tournament players and they can only afford so much of their time and money.

That being said, limit the number of series events to 6 with only 3 events needed to qualify for the series payout. I have seen over the last several years that only a handful of players even qualify for the series payout.

Please, equally spreadout the events throughout the year. Who really cares about an event that is outside Washington state (except the BSF)? There are only a few players that will be attending those events, so why should it effect the majority of the players in our state? The time has come to the use the mileage requirements of the PDGA and to consider the West/East Washington events in determining dates for the WA series.

To increase participation, consider making all the series events a one-day event. IMHO, two-day events should be reserved for an "A tier" event or a limited number of major events in a region. To attract the out of town players, make the second day (Sunday) a seperate event (Pro/Am split days, C-tier, doubles, three headed monter, etc.)

Also, do away with the final nine. It wastes so much precious time for the majority of players that want to get home to their families. There are plenty of other time killing activities that can be done to allow time for the TDs to prepare for the awards ceremony.

One more thing, keep the entry fees reasonable for the players. Let the Open players duke it out for the cash with the higher entry fees. The amatuer players can play for some standard or unique prizes. If an amatuer player is so set on winning lots of merchanise then move up and play in the Open division.

Sorry for the rant, but something needs to change to increase the participation (ALL levels) for the events in the Pacific Northwest. The sport is growing with lot of new players that are increasing their skills and would like to test themselves against other disc golfers in the area to see how good they really are.

Also, more player exposure to organized events will show the masses (player and non-players) that a lot of hard work is involved to running an event and preparing great courses. Maybe with positive experiences at the organized events, we can increase the number of volunteers that help our sport grow (on and off the course).

Thanks for your time,
                Sam

Comment

Those are a good ideas Sam. We are discussing one dayers already, Evenly spaced events throughout the season will also be important. As far as the gorilla in the room (Middle of the summer A tiers) the players are the ones who dictate attendance all we can do is offer some alternatives. We are also looking into offering events in previously un or under used WA state venues
                  rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yardbird View Post

That being said, limit the number of series events to 6 with only 3 events needed to qualify for the series payout. I have seen over the last several years that only a handful of players even qualify for the series payout.

Please, equally spreadout the events throughout the year. Who really cares about an event that is outside Washington state (except the BSF)? The time has come to the use the mileage requirements of the PDGA and to consider the West/East Washington events in determining dates for the WA series.

To increase participation, consider making all the series events a one-day event. IMHO, two-day events should be reserved for an "A tier" event or a limited number of major events in a region. To attract the out of town players, make the second day (Sunday) a seperate event (Pro/Am split days, C-tier, doubles, three headed monter, etc.)

Also, do away with the final nine.

One more thing, keep the entry fees reasonable for the players.

Sorry for the rant, but something needs to change to increase the participation (ALL levels) for the events in the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks for your time,
                    Sam

All good ideas in my opinion as well!
                    Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Agreed. All good ideas. Especially running doubles the second day!
                      Last edited by JR Stengele; October 13th, 2011, 11:24 AM.
                      "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
                      -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

I like the flexibility of a split format. Having a "series" event on Saturday and another format on Sunday. Those who want to make a weekend out of it can still play both days and those that can only spend a one day can still participate in the "series". I know one of series's intentions is to encourage people to travel to other events, i think this idea helps. Question is how many people will be interested in sticking around for the second day? And what kind of format is most appealing?

Comment

State Wide Participation in the WSS

Here goes! A new way to look at the WSS.

The State is divided into three divisions;
                          • Western
                          • Central
                          • Eastern

Each division holds three WSS events.

Each division uses the same points system.

It only takes three events to qualify.

First place at each event has a constant value regardless of how many people play.

If you miss an event or two or three in your local division you may use any other series event to qualify.

If you attend more than three events your lowest scores will be thrown out.

All three areas have tournaments that are run in late September to mid October and once every three years a different division will host the Series Finals.

The Series Finals must accommodate a minimum of 144 competitors.

The Series Finals will not be a qualifying event.

The Series Finals will be a stand alone tournament so that anyone that wants to play (qualified or not) can.

Series points will be awarded at this Finals and those points will be added to the accrued series points of the qualified competitors to determine the winners.

The Series will have a separate purse from the stand alone series final event.

Using this system, nobody would have to leave their local area if they were committed to qualifying with out traveling.

This system would effectively qualify more competitors for the series and these competitors would come from across the state.

Competitors could use other division events to qualify if they had to go to their sister's wedding.

Competitors could use other division events to throw out their lower scores thus advancing their standing.
                          Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbly Bob View Post
                            Here goes! A new way to look at the WSS.

The State is divided into three divisions;
                            • Western
                            • Central
                            • Eastern

Each division holds three WSS events.

Each division uses the same points system.

It only takes three events to qualify.

First place at each event has a constant value regardless of how many people play.

If you miss an event or two or three in your local division you may use any other series event to qualify.

If you attend more than three events your lowest scores will be thrown out.

All three areas have tournaments that are run in late September to mid October and once every three years a different division will host the Series Finals.

The Series Finals must accommodate a minimum of 144 competitors.

The Series Finals will not be a qualifying event.

The Series Finals will be a stand alone tournament so that anyone that wants to play (qualified or not) can.

Series points will be awarded at this Finals and those points will be added to the accrued series points of the qualified competitors to determine the winners.

The Series will have a separate purse from the stand alone series final event.

Using this system, nobody would have to leave their local area if they were committed to qualifying with out traveling.

This system would effectively qualify more competitors for the series and these competitors would come from across the state.

Competitors could use other division events to qualify if they had to go to their sister's wedding.

Competitors could use other division events to throw out their lower scores thus advancing their standing.
                            Interesting idea that should be discussed over at the group site.
                            My initial question is: What would be considered Eastern, Central, and Western...seems like we really are just west of and east of cascades.
                            Throw out points and just have those who qualify shoot it out at the finals. This would hopefully make the finals a must go to instead of a "nah i can miss it since I have a lead in the series event."
                            In a division set up I think the finals should be an invite only....which would make the payouts better for the series. Especially if the idea of 1-day tournaments are used. Saturday ams, sunday pros for two rounds each. This would make it so we can use any course in the series for the finals.

Oh well I typed too much these and other issues should be brought up to the google group.

-Kris

Comment

I copied and pasted both of the last two posts onto the planning group discussions
                              rewindb.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X