X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 World's Biggest Disc Golf Weekend - Leverich Park

The purpose of this event is to celebrate disc golf, introduce it to people who have not played the sport or just enjoy playing the game while raising money for non-profit organizations. It is a worldwide celebration for the love of disc golf.
    The whole emphasis is on FUN! The spirit of the event is to show someone who has never played and introduce them to the sport by playing with them, showing them how to play or even inviting them to your tournament so that they can watch the game being played. ABDG Club has registered for this tournament to join the celebration around the world.

Existing disc golf players can participate with new players to show them how to throw, play, and enjoy the game. lt is an opportunity for disc golf players to give back a little of their time and energy through WBDGW, as it can help our local club as well as the Disc Golf Foundation to help grow the sport.

lt is a great opportunity to invite your friends, family, and neighbors who might have heard of the sport but never played it. They will get a disc and/or a WBDGW t-shirt & more as a part of their players package.
    The sport offers health benefits as it provides an opportunity to walk outdoors. ltís a wonderful and inexpensive family activity that can be enjoyed over and over again.

lt is an opportunity for kids to discover a sport that they can enjoy all their life which can have a positive impact on their physical health. lt is a sport that can be enjoyed alone or with others.

With childhood obesity being such a critical issue, disc golf is an inexpensive and enjoyable alternative to other more complex and demanding team sports.

Lets celebrate disc golf together around the world the first weekend in May as part of WBDGW.

When: April 30th & May 1st
    Where: Leverich Park, WA
    Register:
    http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournam...f_Weekend_2011

Regular 12 holes
    10.00%
    Twice through - 24 holes
    50.00%
    12 holes from pro pads
    0.00%
    12 holes + 6 safari
    40.00%

The poll is expired.

-Acerbinky-

This will be run as a tournament format? WB that I've seen in the past are just show up and play as much/little as you want.

Comment

I contacted the people that run the WBDGW and they stated that there is no rules or "format" that we needed to stick to. The important thing is that we are out playing disc golf in our community & having fun.
      -Acerbinky-

Comment

Then I guess I don't understand the point of the poll above. If there is no format, what does it matter if someone plays once through, twice through, etc?

Comment

Maybe this should be re named to Worlds Biggest Disc golf Tourment. Its about promoting Disc golf to new people and having fun.
          PDGA 38153
          STUMPTOWN 158

Comment

used to be

Originally posted by topdawgy58 View Post
            Maybe this should be re named to Worlds Biggest Disc golf Tourment. Its about promoting Disc golf to new people and having fun.
            The first 'Worlds Biggest' (1992) was actually called a disc golf tournament.
            One of the goals back then was to bring at least 3 brand new players.
            There was even an award for who brought the most new players. (Rolf Frei).
            I think that John Houck realized bringing "newbies" to a tournament could be very intimidating for them, so he took the word tournament out.
            IMO this is a great grassroots gig.
            Good luck Mr. Binky.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            - Anonymous

Comment

Register & pay through PayPal today!
              This is a small course, so it may sell out fast.
              As part of your registration you will receive an official WBDGW disc & shirt as part of your players package.

http://abdiscgolf.com/event-registration/wbdgw
              -Acerbinky-

Comment

Originally posted by Acerbinky View Post
                The purpose of this event is to celebrate disc golf, introduce it to people who have not played the sport or just enjoy playing the game while raising money for non-profit organizations.
                Where are the Novice and Rec divisions for all these new people playing the sport?

Comment

Originally posted by Vector_2008 View Post
                  Where are the Novice and Rec divisions for all these new people playing the sport?
                  And Junior, for that matter.

Comment

Curious about a few things... for a tournament open to new players and such, shouldn't there be an Am division? I don't see one listed on the scene. Also wondering what prizes might look like as well as the disc that'll be in the players pack. Of course, thanks for helping promote the game. Cheers.

Comment

The Amateur division is called Intermediate on the DG scene.
                      There are also 2 Junior divisions.
                      Players packs will include a WBDGW shirt & disc along with other assorted things such as stickers, a snack & other swag i am still collecting. Donations welcome! I will announce more as they come to me. My goal is to for you guys to get your moneys worth, for sure.. After all this event is about fun & expanding the game to new players.
                      I will have trophies available for this event.
                      The Open & Advanced players will play a different layout then the Juniors & Recreational.
                      There will be a Potluck style BBQ between rounds with some fun games & prizes.

They Guys & Gals at WBDGW are backed up at the moment. I will find out what kind of discs they are going to be soon!

This will be great time! I am looking forward to it.
                      -Acerbinky-

Comment

Originally posted by Acerbinky View Post
                        The Amateur division is called Intermediate on the DG scene.
                        There are also 2 Junior divisions.
                        Players packs will include a WBDGW shirt & disc along with other assorted things such as stickers, a snack & other swag i am still collecting. Donations welcome! I will announce more as they come to me. My goal is to for you guys to get your moneys worth, for sure.. After all this event is about fun & expanding the game to new players.
                        I will have trophies available for this event.
                        The Open & Advanced players will play a different layout then the Juniors & Recreational.
                        There will be a Potluck style BBQ between rounds with some fun games & prizes.

They Guys & Gals at WBDGW are backed up at the moment. I will find out what kind of discs they are going to be soon!

This will be great time! I am looking forward to it.
                        DG Scene has a novice and a rec division. And whats the charity?
                        sigpic
                        http://www.discgolfscene.com/clubs/DISC_GOLF_OR_DIE

Comment

Dan, historically, WBDGW has not been a charity event; you may be thinking of the Ice Bowl?

But Dan's question is a good one:

"The donations you seek: what would they be used for?"
                          Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                          Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                          Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                          Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                          Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

From now until April 15th you will have a choice in the disc that you get with the WBDGW players pack.
                            The choices are:
                            JLS driver, Omega Supersoft putter & the Quantum Orion LS

After April 15th Disc Choice will be 1st come 1st serve.

Register today at http://abdiscgolf.com/event-registration/wbdgw

Youths 16 & under players packs are discounted.
                            Youths register here: http://abdiscgolf.com/event-registra...gw/wbdgw-youth

I have also added a Recreational division.

From WBDGW: "This event allows you raise money for your own disc golf club, local non-profit or for any other reason. Even if you do not donate back to your community, you are supporting Council on at-risk youth and the Disc Golf Foundation because we will donate from the wholesale price we charge to those organizations. So, if you buy any discs or shirts, you are helping out. "

-Acerbinky-

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                              Dan, historically, WBDGW has not been a charity event; you may be thinking of the Ice Bowl?

But Dan's question is a good one:

"The donations you seek: what would they be used for?"
                              Ahhhh... I just saw this, and assumed

"Non-competitive and competitive play for local and national charities"

and this: "The World's Biggest Disc Golf Weekend is an opportunity to enjoy, discover, and participate in the growing sport of disc golf while helping to raise money for local and national non-profits."

So no charity or non-profit?
                              sigpic
                              http://www.discgolfscene.com/clubs/DISC_GOLF_OR_DIE

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X