10th Downriver Open - Apr. 9 & 10 Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    This is interesting conversation. All i was saying is what General Scales said in his last post. Thanks Stu!

    Comment


    • #32
      I really don't think anyone had a clear understanding of that final 9.
      Nobody was told if it was required or optional...
      I think a lot of people were tired after 3 rounds and would have opted out if it just meant that they didn't get plastic.
      I also know a lot of people wanted to watch the PRO final 9, it was odd playing AM and NOT getting to watch the big guns duel it out at the end.
      This usually seems to be the time where everyone winds down and enjoys watching some good golf and the end of a long tourney...

      If we had chosen to skip the FINAL 9, would it have counted as a DNF?
      Or could we have just taken our place out of the money?

      Lots of questions arise of the situation... I still had a blast!
      One of the funnest tourneys I have been to, can't wait for the next!
      When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by jshrack View Post
        I really don't think anyone had a clear understanding of that final 9.
        Nobody was told if it was required or optional...
        I think a lot of people were tired after 3 rounds and would have opted out if it just meant that they didn't get plastic.
        I also know a lot of people wanted to watch the PRO final 9, it was odd playing AM and NOT getting to watch the big guns duel it out at the end.
        This usually seems to be the time where everyone winds down and enjoys watching some good golf and the end of a long tourney...

        If we had chosen to skip the FINAL 9, would it have counted as a DNF?
        Or could we have just taken our place out of the money?

        Lots of questions arise of the situation... I still had a blast!
        One of the funnest tourneys I have been to, can't wait for the next!

        Thsi happend several years ago at an LCO AM player was better then last cash pased on 9 and took last cash.

        I was looking at the flyer and it says
        Format all players
        Sat Two rounds w lunch break assuming 18 hole/round min
        Sun 1 round with safari final 9
        Final 9 Open cash +1
        Final 9 Adv scrip +1

        Seems pretty straight forward to me 9 was included.

        Now the passing on the nine is intersting. It would depend on how the paperwork was sbmitted as a 54 hole event or a 54 hole event + a final 9. If you did pass on the nine you should not DNF just sacrifice your payout
        rewindb.com

        Comment


        • #34
          Just curious

          Stimpi apologized for the problems associated with the false start but I couldn't hear why it happened.

          Is this a circumstance we could all learn from or just one of things that happened and needs to be let go...

          Comment


          • #35
            False Start

            Originally posted by Lyounger View Post
            Stimpi apologized for the problems associated with the false start but I couldn't hear why it happened.

            Is this a circumstance we could all learn from or just one of things that happened and needs to be let go...
            Typically, events allow about an hour break, from when the last cards are turned in. I was thinking in this direction, and anxious to begin the second round, noticing the weather building up in the SouthWest, so I called for the second round, not knowing there was a specific time listed on the registration flyer.
            When this was brought to my attention, the round was stopped until the appointed time, with the "late" players allowed to catch up in the mean time. That just seemed fair to me, and I apologize again for not knowing how my own event is supposed to be run.
            What should be learned here, is... read your own flyers, or don't put a specific second round time and have everyone in the event ask you, "What time do we start the second round?".
            Another thing to learn is, don't get wigged out when spontaneity strikes and things change. Change is inevitable.
            Stimpi

            Comment


            • #36
              TD Tips: ALWAYS stick to the posted facts. If there are multiple source of information, always update them all at the same time. ALWAYS stick to the posted schedule. DGOD, you hearing me ?
              Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
              Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
              Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
              Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
              Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

              Comment


              • #37
                Oh...

                Originally posted by Stimpi View Post
                Typically, events allow about an hour break, from when the last cards are turned in. I was thinking in this direction, and anxious to begin the second round, noticing the weather building up in the SouthWest, so I called for the second round, not knowing there was a specific time listed on the registration flyer.
                When this was brought to my attention, the round was stopped until the appointed time, with the "late" players allowed to catch up in the mean time. That just seemed fair to me, and I apologize again for not knowing how my own event is supposed to be run.
                What should be learned here, is... read your own flyers, or don't put a specific second round time and have everyone in the event ask you, "What time do we start the second round?".
                Another thing to learn is, don't get wigged out when spontaneity strikes and things change. Change is inevitable.
                Stimpi
                Thank you for the explanation!!

                No worries at all :-)

                Didn't realize people got all wigged out and didn't mean to make you re-live the trauma

                Comment


                • #38
                  Of course people wigged out. When don't they?
                  Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                  Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                  Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                  Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                  Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Yeah we had to restart right after I posted a 3 on hole 9. I was quite upset at that. So I went back and did it again. Wasn't so upset after that.
                    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                    Cleveland Brown

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      General- Im not clear on the rules for false start but Seems to me that shouldnt have been your fault? if the start horn was blasted and you threw it shouldnt count against you or constitute a re-throw? i would be really upset if the horn blew, I threw and ace and then had to re-throw at my expense when it wasnt my bad? I even heard of one person complaining they had to take an extra stroke on throw 1 because of the early horn? if throws are early in a situation like this cant you just play the discs where they landed once the official horn is blown? Seems like the TD should be the ones ruling on this particular event and it seemed like it was being handled group by group rather than being addressed by the TD as a whole what the penalites would be..

                      -G

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by gmason1 View Post
                        General- Im not clear on the rules for false start but Seems to me that shouldnt have been your fault? if the start horn was blasted and you threw it shouldnt count against you or constitute a re-throw? i would be really upset if the horn blew, I threw and ace and then had to re-throw at my expense when it wasnt my bad? I even heard of one person complaining they had to take an extra stroke on throw 1 because of the early horn? if throws are early in a situation like this cant you just play the discs where they landed once the official horn is blown? Seems like the TD should be the ones ruling on this particular event and it seemed like it was being handled group by group rather than being addressed by the TD as a whole what the penalites would be..

                        -G
                        The issue as I understand with a false (or early) start is that everyone on the course is to proceed to their starting hole and re-throw. It'd be a bigger nuisance on an ace run for sure. The good thing was that it wouldn't of had any effect on my score for the tournament. I took myself out with out of bounds and lost discs. I do think that this a rule that needs to be looked over by the PDGA. This could ruin a brilliant set of throws on a difficult hole. Good example of this would be starting out on Farragut D.B.D hole 18. Get a birdie on it (which would be monumental considering the distance and difficulty of the hole). Then find out you have to walk back to the pad and start over because of a false start. Thats a hole where I would argue with the person controlling the horn because the chances of birding that hole back to back are small at best.

                        All in all however, I had a great time at the tournament.
                        "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                        Cleveland Brown

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Then you have to look at the flip side; what would happen if you went from going ob on 2, then had to re-tee because of a restart, and turned around and parked it? I use this example because Jon V had a birdie look with a huge lefty flex shot that came within a foot of going ob and it could have easily gone the other way.

                          Also, what happens if half the group throws and the horn blows before the other half tees off? I'm only playing devils advocate here, and pointing out how hard it would be to uniformly enforce any solution. My group completed an entire hole before we heard that we were supposed to stop and even we were not told to re-tee, we were told to stop playing and wait for the horn.

                          Solution? Keep to the schedule. Players get 4 strokes for being late, and neither the rules or public opinion seem to give any leeway for getting a start time wrong (especially when the reason is that they didn't double check the flier). It's only fair that everone involved in the tournament should be held to the same standard.

                          PS- Didn't we also start early on day 2?
                          Last edited by Sean Johnson; April 19th, 2011, 05:15 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Quote by gmason1 - General- Im not clear on the rules for false start but Seems to me that shouldnt have been your fault? if the start horn was blasted and you threw it shouldnt count against you or constitute a re-throw? i would be really upset if the horn blew, I threw and ace and then had to re-throw at my expense when it wasnt my bad? I even heard of one person complaining they had to take an extra stroke on throw 1 because of the early horn? if throws are early in a situation like this cant you just play the discs where they landed once the official horn is blown? Seems like the TD should be the ones ruling on this particular event and it seemed like it was being handled group by group rather than being addressed by the TD as a whole what the penalites would be..
                            Just so all concerned know, I did include the delayed start incident to the PDGA in the TD report.

                            Greg, I take full responsibility for the second round early start at the DRO. When I blew the horn to stop after the second round had started, I yelled STOP as loud as I could and heard people yell stop back to me.

                            Stopping play and marking one's lie was what was supposed to have happened.

                            General, your score the first time you threw the hole was the score you were supposed to use. This is one of those situations where if it was unclear how to proceed the provisional throw rule should have been used and at the end of the round you should have come to the TD for a ruling.

                            No one received any penalty strokes from the mistake that I made that I know of. After six years as a TD I am still learning about how to properly run a tournament and I will remember this incident every time I start a tournament round.
                            Fly free and straight to the pin!

                            Comment

                            Announcement Announcement Module
                            Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X