X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PretzelBowl IV: Planning thread

So its a little bit later than usual, but I'm pretty close to finalizing a plan for this year. IF all goes according to said plan it is looking a bit like this:

Saturday, February 26
    2 Rounds of 12-15 holes (combine into 1 round for ratings)
    and...

The Pretzel has chosen a new park which is a bit more open and "traditional" compared to the Woodland layouts I've set up in the past.

I feel bad about dropping down to less than 18 holes because we maxed out 18 so quickly last year but:

1 - The new venue just doesn't have 18 good holes without renting large areas
    2 - It is just too much work in the middle of winter to setup 18 pins
    3 - 36 holes is just a bit much for winter golf, it would be nice to finish up a bit earlier than the past 2 years

So start getting ready, I'll definitely give a week of warning before registration opens.

I'm really excited about initial walkthroughs of the layout this year though, the course should be fantastic

If anyone has ideas about how to make this year better, I'd love to hear them...although I can't promise to use them
    'Weekend 4 Women':
    Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
    Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Originally posted by cefire View Post
    So its a little bit later than usual, but I'm pretty close to finalizing a plan for this year. IF all goes according to said plan it is looking a bit like this:

Saturday, February 26
    2 Rounds of 12-15 holes (combine into 1 round for ratings)
    and...

The Pretzel has chosen a new park which is a bit more open and "traditional" compared to the Woodland layouts I've set up in the past.

I feel bad about dropping down to less than 18 holes because we maxed out 18 so quickly last year but:

1 - The new venue just doesn't have 18 good holes without renting large areas
    2 - It is just too much work in the middle of winter to setup 18 pins
    3 - 36 holes is just a bit much for winter golf, it would be nice to finish up a bit earlier than the past 2 years

So start getting ready, I'll definitely give a week of warning before registration opens.

I'm really excited about initial walkthroughs of the layout this year though, the course should be fantastic

If anyone has ideas about how to make this year better, I'd love to hear them...although I can't promise to use them

1. Do it before Feb. for my own selfish reasons
    2. Have my face on the CFR disc this year
    "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
    -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

1. Do it any weekend I am not out of the country (0 for 2 last two years).
      2. Don't put me in John Stengele's group.

Comment

3. Don't listen to the ideas of people from Lake Stevens or Mukilteo...
        Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Start me on a hole closer to Tournament Central darn it! I'm OLD you know!

Bob

Comment

You know how I feel about the Pretzelbowl and what I'd like to see: a series of Pretzelbowl-like events at different parks around the area. I know that amounts to exponentially more work, but, you've got my help in any way possible if you ever want to pursue it.
            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              You know how I feel about the Pretzelbowl and what I'd like to see: a series of Pretzelbowl-like events at different parks around the area. I know that amounts to exponentially more work, but, you've got my help in any way possible if you ever want to pursue it.
              I love disc golf events that do something for charity, Kevin Hood and his MS tournament is a great idea and I know Andrew has done NW Harvest in years past which is awesome as well. I would love to help out in any capacity that I could too.

A series of charity events would be really great and there are several charities that come to mind that I would love to involve. Excellent idea Tim.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                This is something I've been toying around with a little, not a "series" but perhaps sequential events that contribute to the PretzelBowl Champion.

Setup A - 2 separate events:

Event 1 - 2 rounds of 12-15 holes - Shotgun start - 48-60 players
                Event 2 - 2 rounds of 12-15 holes - Shotgun start - 48-60 players

Pros:
                • 24-30 holes each day
                • 2 different courses
                • Travelers can pick which event to play (or both!)

Cons:
                • Fewer players
                • No early finish
                • Probably some waiting on tees
                • Normal wait between rounds, etc.
                • Duplicate PDGA costs

Setup B - Consecutive day single event:

Saturday - 12-15 holes Venue A - Tee times - 72 players
                Sunday - 12-15 holes Venue B - Tee times - 72 players

Pros:
                • Save on PDGA costs
                • 2 different courses
                • 72 players (& more $ raised for charity)
                • Early finish - Social-time, side games, etc.
                • No backups - 15 minute spread between groups
                • Pick your group

Cons:
                • Only 1 round per day
                • Essentially 2-day event
                • Traveling is difficult

Please, please, please give your thoughts on this...personally, I think the tee-time idea would be fantastic as a TD. Would people choose to attend one event type and not the other type?
                'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

I personally like set up B more, but i will be there no matter what you chose.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle95 View Post
                    I personally like set up B more, but i will be there no matter what you chose.
                    What he said.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Please, please, please give your thoughts on this...personally, I think the tee-time idea would be fantastic as a TD. Would people choose to attend one event type and not the other type?[/QUOTE]

Just curious- how much in PDGA fees do you save with B vs A?

Comment

1 day events.
                        A par is not a bogey.

Comment

With the Charity Endowment program, it would come out to a savings of $100.

$50 to sanction each event
                          $50 for event insurance
                          'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

I like A... one day events, you get a second crack at the course, and you get to play more rounds on (super-fun presumably)temp courses.
                            Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Personally, I like A because it's one day instead of a full weekend devoted to tournament play (hard for me to do that) and the travel costs from Carnation to wherever is prohibitive and a waste of resources for most everyone who drives to seperate events.
                              Panda...it's what's for dinner!

Team Deucebag

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X