X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
    What I am hoping to accomplish is having players,TD etc realize that if we are not careful are greatest asset (growth of the sport) is also our greatest liability.
    After several years of thinking about this, I fail to see how growth is more than a minimal asset to the vast majority of golfers (acquisition of new courses is the glaring exception). The liability you mention is just one (and a small one at that) of many, many drawbacks I see to this uncontrolled "grow the sport" mentality.
    'Weekend 4 Women':
    Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
    Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

Andrew makes a really good point about courses. Look at LSH doubles, not only are there 25-30 participants but another 20-40 casual players, 80% of which are either brand new or less then 3 months experience. Same with Arlington. SeaTac is taking a beating because of the overflow from Lakewood in both amount of play and the unauthorized maintenance.

I would compare DG growth to average teenagers. In a BIG hurry to be grown up. Making decisions that at times seems to not be very well thought out. Anxiously waiting for the next step. First out of grade school, they cant wait to drive, smoke, drink and fornicate. Each of these has choices responsibilities, rewards and consequences. Unfortunately the process is so ingrained that effective evaluation is almost always neglected as they race forward.

Damn the torpedoes full steam ahead come to mind.
      rewindb.com

Comment

I cant wait to drive, smoke, drink and fornicate. That being said..

What I hope is being accomplished by this thread is not the venting of frustrations/group therapy session, but I hope that ther powers that be are ALREADY getting dates set for 2011. 2010 dates are set. People have made plans, yadda-yadda-yadda.

As a past player in the series', I would like to see the dates come out as soon as possible. It would make it easier on the players, TD's and everyone else thats involved. Maybe set a deadline for the beginning of the year and then TD's that fail to meet that deadline now have to work around responsible TD's schedules.

I really hope that the 2011 series is set-up earlier so as to avoid any conflicts and generate as many tourneys with as large a turn-outs as possible.

Comment

well with 222 players signed up between the two events I think everything worked out for the best. The more tounaments the better. Choices are awesome.
          www.soulpancake.com
          www.bahai.org
          http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

Comment

Originally posted by GettinBetter View Post
            well with 222 players signed up between the two events I think everything worked out for the best. The more tournaments the better. Choices are awesome.
            If you look closer at the numbers only 5 Eastern WA players are traveling to Kitsap While 15 are traveling to Zoo (3 of which are from West of the mountains). If you look at actual players (of the 15 going to Zoo) 10 of them played Windy River and all will qualify for the INWS

It's pretty bad when it's only the second event of the 2010 series and a decent percentage of our base has already abandoned the WA. Series.
            rewindb.com

Comment

If you look closer at the numbers only 5 Eastern WA players are traveling to Kitsap While 15 are traveling to Zoo (3 of which are from West of the mountains). If you look at actual players (of the 15 going to Zoo) 10 of them played Windy River and all will qualify for the INWS

It's pretty bad when it's only the second event of the 2010 series and a decent percentage of our base has already abandoned the WA. Series.

I am not sure if it is a sign of abandoning a series. I think it is more making a choice knowing that they only need 3 events to qualify for the WSS.
              I will also say that there is more than 5 players from Eastern Washington making the trip for there are 5 just from Walla Walla (Clyde, Scot, The Cook's, and myself).
              If you take the non-Spokane area players out of the Zoo count then I think the numbers tell a different story.

Would it be great if the WSS and Inland did not fall on the same weekends and at least 2 weeks apart from each other? Yes!!! Is it realistically possible? NO!!! As it is dates are planned around holidays (Easter and Mother's Day) and known big events (BSF). Then add into the mix what weekends a TD can run the event be it personal or park based and dates get even more limited.

Not trying to attack just trying to add a view.

Take Care
              Kristopher

Comment

Originally posted by Cerrgurry View Post
                I am not sure if it is a sign of abandoning a series. I think it is more making a choice knowing that they only need 3 events to qualify for the WSS.
                I will also say that there is more than 5 players from Eastern Washington making the trip for there are 5 just from Walla Walla (Clyde, Scot, The Cook's, and myself).
                If you take the non-Spokane area players out of the Zoo count then I think the numbers tell a different story.

Would it be great if the WSS and Inland did not fall on the same weekends and at least 2 weeks apart from each other? Yes!!! Is it realistically possible? NO!!! As it is dates are planned around holidays (Easter and Mother's Day) and known big events (BSF). Then add into the mix what weekends a TD can run the event be it personal or park based and dates get even more limited.

Not trying to attack just trying to add a view.

Take Care
                Kristopher
                No sweat Kevin and Jamie from AVDGC are also two.

Look at Kenniwickiens. Edd D, MACCCCCC lain, Brian Cox would rather drive East 350 miles then 200 West (one way).

Only three and the final counts
                that means Easties have to travel West once to qualify while Westies only go East for the finals.

No overlaps
                means TD 's need to decide if they are running the event again the following year ASAP. That why it 's more important for a club to run series events. Then it can be about the schedule not who's the TD. imnsho
                rewindb.com

Comment

That's my point:
                  Instead of COMPEETING for players we should be coordinating for them.

This discussion does not even (but should) include OR. events as well

It seems to me that Magilla has been saying/preaching/requesting this for years.
                  Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

No sweat Kevin and Jamie from AVDGC are also two.

Look at Kenniwickiens. Edd D, MACCCCCC lain, Brian Cox would rather drive East 350 miles then 200 West (one way).

Only three and the final counts
                    that means Easties have to travel West once to qualify while Westies only go East for the finals.

No overlaps
                    means TD 's need to decide if they are running the event again the following year ASAP. That why it 's more important for a club to run series events. Then it can be about the schedule not who's the TD. imnsho
                    It is more than just a club putting it on for someone has to step up to be a TD and let's not forget $$$. I don't remember anyone stepping up to run Aloha (not even myself). In Walla Walla we have to look at the other local events for the park (BMX Races, Festivals (sweet onion), Radio Controlled Car and Plane races and other museum events. Then we have to look at local events as well (Balloon Stampede and Fair). Then lets not forget weather
                    When I look at a 6 month window and take into account definite no's and plug in the traditional dates for other tournaments only a few weekends remain. I am sure all other TD's and/or clubs have similar if not greater pressures dictating which weekends they "can" have a tournament.
                    The Washington series being a west side series is merely the fault of the east side of the mountains having limited courses and this year Walla Walla taking a year off. I think a solution to this would be allow/beg for Walla Walla, Spokane, or Tri-Cities to have a second date that counts as a WSS event.
                    Truth is no matter what we do as a whole someone will have a conflict with a date or location.
                    -Kristopher

Comment

Maybe the only answer is one coordinator for the PNW. Oregon, INWS, and Washington coordinators submit possible schedules to the PNW coordinator by late December, early January. Then the PNW coordinator submits a couple possible schedules, then vote.
                      www.soulpancake.com
                      www.bahai.org
                      http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

Comment

Eric, I like this idea.
                        Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Originally posted by GettinBetter View Post
                          Maybe the only answer is one coordinator for the PNW. Oregon, INWS, and Washington coordinators submit possible schedules to the PNW coordinator by late December, early January. Then the PNW coordinator submits a couple possible schedules, then vote.
                          It is a workable idea. I think that there should be some collaboration where the TD's can each post their primary choice date, willingness/ability to be flexible with it, etc.
                          No matter what is done there will be overlap and back to back tournaments etc due to having 24-30 weekends to stuff as many tournaments as we can in a series format.
                          Getting all the TD's to work together and compromise may be the roadblock.
                          -kristopher

Comment

Originally posted by Cerrgurry View Post
                            It is a workable idea. I think that there should be some collaboration where the TD's can each post their primary choice date, willingness/ability to be flexible with it, etc.
                            No matter what is done there will be overlap and back to back tournaments etc due to having 24-30 weekends to stuff as many tournaments as we can in a series format.
                            Getting all the TD's to work together and compromise may be the roadblock.
                            -kristopher
                            See this thread for an attempt at this idea.

Comment

The willingness/ability to be flexible is a tough one. There are some TDs that are dead set on particular dates, and it can come down to people calling "shotgun" on possible dates.
                              Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X