X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Deer Creek Open, May 2nd, 2010

Chris Carter and Leon Sproule are holding the 3rd (or 4th) Annual Deer Creek Open, at the Deer Creek Disc Golf Course, Chattaroy, WA. Deer Creek is a beautiful 27 hole "object" course (so please bring baskets) on the western slopes of Mt. Spokane. The event will be 36 holes total for all divisions.
    35.00 for pros and ten cans of food, advanced 25.00 and ten cans of food and amateur 20.00 and ten cans of food. Five dollars going to trophies/course and the rest paid out.
    it will be two rounds of golf. new nine and the front nine and the new nine and the back nine. with a pot luck lunch with salads provided and barbecue available for all food. players meeting at 10am people providing baskets to be there at 9am for set up. awards after tournament.
    To pre register, or for more information, contact Chris Carter 509-570-2056 or by email: cscarter@hotmail.com

Great tourney, horrible hole.

We had good weather, for the most part. High 20-30mph winds but no rain. 31 players and we had nearly enough baskets for the entire 27 hole course.
    I had the strangest hole, my third of the tournament, and it almost broke me.
    Picture hole 21 (Star 3 for the tourney) a 700ft hole that starts with a narrow fairway that drops about 30' in 250' and breaks right at the bottom of the hill. The fairway veers to the right, uphill another 250' with a 40' rise, and through a narrow opening to the "green".
    My first drive felt great but turned right a little early and I heard shrubs, losing sight of the disc. Rick and I searched and searched but never found it. I re-teed, hitting the first tree on the left and dropping. My 4th stroke was a beautiful anhyzer around the giant trees on the left, heading for the upper fairway and stuck high in the cedar at the bottom of the gully. No penalty at least, for the 2 meter lie, but I had no shot from under the cedar, so I dumped out for a 5. I had a pretty good 6th shot that landed at the trees at the top of the hill. Only 200 ft to go. I walked another 15 feet up the fairway, halfway up the far side of the fairway, and there was my first drive, 150 feet past where I expected it to be. It was my best drive ever on that hole, and I didn't even get to play it. I was crushed, and furious. I stepped up to my current sixth shot, and only had a tiny window to the green, but I could see the bucket. I felt I had nothing to lose at that point, so I ran it, and nailed it from 200' out, to save a 7. That shot probably kept me from giving up disc golf.
    I went on to have a great time, and had only one other "unfortunate" hole, an unintentional roller out-of-bounds 6.
    I love playing up there. What a beautiful course.
    Thanks Leon, Virginia, and Chris for another great day.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
    Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X