Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Props to the West Sound Disc Golf Association and the countless hours members have spent working on these courses. Thanks Scott and Paul for putting on a successful 2 course tournament. It was a blast!

Comment

It was really nice having spotters on some holes. There were more spotters out there than I thought there would be, it's nice to see people step up and volunteer. Best run tournament I've been to this year.

Skins should kick down $100 for best overall score when using this format, or have best drive then alternate shot. I though it was very successful and A LOT of people bought raffle ticket for this. I know I would buy again if this format was used at other events in the future.
      www.soulpancake.com
      www.bahai.org
      http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

Comment

Anybody that has good play during a tournament will say that it was a fun tourney. To play poorly all weekend, and still come out saying that it was a blast speaks volumes about how great this event was. Everything ran smoothly and the courses looked great. Fantastic job WSDGA! Scott, I know you weren't in the best mood Sunday morning, but you and Paul did a great job and I hope this tourney becomes a yearly tradition. Also, the camping at the Fairgrounds was sweet! Plenty of space and a great atmosphere, not to mention the huge adjacent field for ridiculous games of 3 frisbee catch.

Of course the highlight of the weekend for me was having one of the lucky tickets to play in the final 9. Fortunately, I had plenty of practice chundering with my rounds earlier in front of my groups, that I was able to keep it up in fine fashion in front of a huge gallery. How was it possible for the trees to get so much bigger and more numerous in the span of a couple hours, anyway? It was a great time though, and I'm glad my partner and I were able to eek out a couple skins before it was over. BTW, Washington has some great new imported talent in addition to KC, keep your eyes on John Anderson, freshly here from South Dakota. Saw some great shots by the pros, for sure, but undoubtedly, the moment everyone will remember is watching Papa unhesitatingly plunge into head high nettles. It looked like he might have even got stung on the lips! That final 9 format was definitely cool, and I'd buy into it again at any tourney that offered it. Just a word of advice to all those prospective raffle winners out there: if there's any chance you might get into the final 9, it's a good idea to hold off on your post-tourney libations until you know for sure. Trust me.

Thanks again Scott, Paul, WSDGA, and all the spotters, volunteers, and sponsors that made this such a great weekend. Oh yeah, good job on the weather too.
        Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolly View Post
          The skins nine was a great way to end it, although perhaps set aside some cash for overall score (It might keep everyone from laying up on purpose)
          Yeah, the laying up thing probably was a little anticlimactic for the gallery, but hey, when there's money on the line, you want to maximize your potential for getting some. And in most cases, having a top 4 pro drive instead of, well, just about anyone else, your chances go up significantly. If it'd been straightforward best shot it would have prevented a bunch of those 1000 rated layups.

Originally posted by GettinBetter
          ...or have best drive then alternate shot.
          In the interest of keeping the play "real" and maintaining a quick pace/added pressure for the final 9, I think that'd be an excellent solution.
          Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

I really wanted to get to play the alternative shot with the pros to show off my turbo, oh well.
            Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
              I really wanted to get to play the alternative shot with the pros to show off my turbo, oh well.
              witch one....the one from saturday or sunday. cuz from what i saw your turbo's were whimpy whimp whimpy when they needed to be hefty hefty hefty. never the less man it was fun throwing with you again.

Comment

I’ve lived here a year and have meet so many great golfers and people. I play several courses and everywhere I go you feel the family unity between golfers. This tourney was held not just by two great golfers, but two great humans. These two are Ambassadors to the sport and life. Having the pleasure to meet and play with Paul and watch Scott in the final nine was a blast. Keep that format, it was awesome! As long as I can Breath and keep upright “I’ll be Back”
                Got Rain!

Comment

Congrats to the WSDGA crew! You put on a great event on two great courses. Walla Walla looks forward to the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by maccallum View Post
                    Congrats to the WSDGA crew! You put on a great event on two great courses. Walla Walla looks forward to the next one.
                    I would second that Walla Walla looks forward to the return trip next year.
                    Thanks again to our guides Jeremy Stitt and Nick Williams at NAD on Friday.
                    -Kristopher

Comment

• Washington State Series Points Updated

The points earned at Whiners In The Woods have been calculated and updated into the Points spread sheet.

You may view the updated points at the 2010 Washington State Series Website.
                      Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

• Well, as always it has taken a couple of days to relax, reflect and think, "Wow, that was fun!" I just wanted to take a moment to dole out some thoughts on the tourney that has past.

First off, thanks are in order and I am going to say right out front that there is no way I am going to be perfect in thanking all that were involved, our helped support and sponsor the event. This will simply be a ramble of those that I can think of right up front.....

Paul and Pam Wright-Congratulations on your first event as a TD and the more difficult job of being the wife of a first time TD. For those of you that don't know, Pam did an awesome job with securing sponsors (Thanks sponsors! Your donations were awesome!) and putting together the great player packs along with tons of other stuff. I know I heard soooo many comments about the tissue in the pack that I know it was well received. Also thanks to Pam and her crew for the help at NAD for check in and mid round help with the scores.....crucial as it all went perfect!

Thanks to my wife Jeanne-although not directly as involved as she always has been, wrangling our two hellions while I prepare and practice for a tournament is no easy task. Then add on top of that helping prep al the discs and so on and you find that as always she is the reason that so many things are successful.

Rick Bailey, Mike Heberling, Mark and Nathan Pervininch, Kyle and Brent Huber-For your help stringing over 3/4 of a mile of OB line to make the tournament run without one single question as to whether something was in or out. Also, your help the night before the event to get all of the discs ready so that everyone could get any piece of plastic they may need for their bag. As always, the Dalaiwood crew is there to help without question.

The West Sound Disc Golf Association-for maintaining the courses and having them in tourney ready status and beyond. Not only did the club get these tracks into great shape, the non-playing memebers were out in force to help run the event and spot on the tricky holes of Fairgrounds. Talk about keeping the event running smoothly, you were all awesome and bigtime thanks are sent your way!

Thanks to Discraft and Innova for supporting all of disc golf and making it possible for TD's to be able to spice up their events with generous donations. The added schwag for both the payouts and the raffle (how many things were given away at the raffle? I thought it would never end....) was greatly appreciated. Also, big ups and thanks to Ryan Gwillim and Next adventure for the 18 packs of fun that I got to throw out to people during the final nine and during the raffle! Totally unexpected and absolutely appreciated.

Before I get to the final thanks I want to say the only flaws of the weekend were small and basically our fault. The final nine could have started a bit earlier but that was due to missed communication between Paul and myself. This will be better in the future. As for the final nine duffing, this can either be fixed like others have noted with an overall score payout or we can have the pros drive holes 1,3,5,7,9 and the raffle winners drive 2,4,6,8. I may be leaning to the latter as this then always pits pro vs pro and partner vs partner and may keep things very even. It also may give the partners more of a shot to throw that skin winning drive as they will not be tossing against any of the top four pros......food for thought and just a heads up for other td's that are contemplating using this format. That said, I still think it was a HUGE success and I can't believe how many people we had trampling throught the woods to see the play. It was incredible.

On that note, I want to get to the final and most important thank you....and that is to all of the competitors. I have run a lot of tourneys and I must say that this was probably the easiest off all of them to TD as everyone was at their professional best. You folks all came out to compete and have fun and that is exactly what you did. While there may have been whining, I guess you kept it in the woods because there was nothing but pure competitive spirit in the air everywhere I looked. Thank you all for bringing such a positive attitude and experience out to the West side to show the people here how disc golf should really be seen. You were all champs on the weekend and I can't offer enough thanks and congratulations on your play and how you carried yourselves.

Until next time, we'll see you out on the course!

Scott Papa
                        Last edited by papatart; May 21st, 2010, 07:36 AM. Reason: add stuff
                        Team Discraft
                        Instructional Editor DiscGolfer Magazine

Comment

• I am a huge fan of the "PRO/AM" Skins 9, and I think the alternate tee solution solves the only issue I really had, the pointless strokes after the hole was already won or pushed. If tee off is already set everyone can pick up and move on once the hole has been decided, this will keep the pace fast and fun.

My thoughts that may warrant a little discussion are about where the money for the skin "could" come from. In order to pull this off should a TD find sponsor/s to pony up the Skins money? Would it be acceptable to pull from the entrance fee based prize pool money?

I could see announcing the Skins sponsor before teeing off each hole, or find one sponsor for the whole 9 and billing them in your fliers and other promotions. "I" also see the concept as strong enough you could pull some Skins money from the PRO pool and from the AM pool, but I have a feeling others may not agree?
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Skookum View Post
                            I am a huge fan of the "PRO/AM" Skins 9, and I think the alternate tee solution solves the only issue I really had, the pointless strokes after the hole was already won or pushed. If tee off is already set everyone can pick up and move on once the hole has been decided, this will keep the pace fast and fun.

My thoughts that may warrant a little discussion are about where the money for the skin "could" come from. In order to pull this off should a TD find sponsor/s to pony up the Skins money? Would it be acceptable to pull from the entrance fee based prize pool money?

I could see announcing the Skins sponsor before teeing off each hole, or find one sponsor for the whole 9 and billing them in your fliers and other promotions. "I" also see the concept as strong enough you could pull some Skins money from the PRO pool and from the AM pool, but I have a feeling others may not agree?
                            Thanks, glad you liked the format and the possible solution. I agree that it not only saves worthless strokes but speeds things along.

As for where the money comes from, that is where there will be a big discussion. Finding a sponsor to cover the skins or each hole is a great idea. That being said, just by selling the raffle tickets we were able to cover the entire skins match without taking any money from any purse. I think that that was a total win for everyone and was happy it worked out that way.

thanks for the input,
                            Papa
                            Team Discraft
                            Instructional Editor DiscGolfer Magazine

Comment

• Wow great to know about Raffle, I was kind of wondering about the numbers on that.

So I guess if you were holding a fund raising tournament you could get sponsors for the Skins and pocket the money from the raffle for the club/charity.

Or

with less sponsorship involvement and no fund raising goals you could set the skins money aside from the pot then put all the raffle money back into the pot. Sometimes you would come out with more in the pot sometimes less but you could still swing the Skins 9 regardless of how successful you were gathering sponsors.

I like this train of thought...
                              sigpic

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X