Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone share information about the two courses being used for this tourney (I have never played either). Any interesting tweeks to the course layouts worth noting? Thanks.

Comment

Well, as the name of the tourney suggests, both courses are very woodsy, there are only a few "open" shots to be had between the two. NAD from the red tees and short pins is relatively easy, blue tees to short pins is challenging, as is red tees to long pins. Blue tees to long pins is pretty friggin' tough. I can't recall if anyone's shot under par on that layout yet, but if they have, there haven't been many to do so. Fairgrounds is newer and was designed to be a more challenging course from the outset, but I think I've only seen one set of pin placements there (only played it a couple times though). It's easier than the NAD blue/longs, but the schule can be unforgiving.

Compared to PDX courses I'd say they're comparable to Horning's, Rooster East (though more fair), and maybe the woodsy holes at Hagg. Good amount of elevation in both of them, but nothing quite as big as what you see at Meadow Ridge.

Some of the holes at Fairgrounds are very much friendlier to lefties or sidearms, but by and large, there's a good mix at both courses.

I don't know what kind of craziness they might be throwing into the mix for this tourney though.
      Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Let's see, where to start on describing the courses. I can tell you that accuracy will be paramount to a good score as being able to navigate fairways will be the word of the weekend. While NAD is more open in the trees, the shots for the long pins are much tougher than anything that Fairgrounds can dole out. You will see a little elevation change on both courses, just enough to make a lot of the shots challenging. Fairgrounds will be the course to be scoring on, even though the rough is much more deadly there. NAD will be set in almost all long positions for the pins (the exception will be the water tower/missile silo hole #8.) making it a very difficult par 54 course. Also, NAD will be playing as originally designed with the paths and over being OB. They will be marked out before the event to help eliminate over the top whining but it will still be fair game for too many OB's whining.....

As for the course at NAD-Blue tees to long pins has been shot under par VERY infrequently. As far as I know the best score is still a 51 and that was a pretty clean round. Any scores close to even will be worthy. Fairgrounds sets itself up much easier with a couple of strings of gettable deuces if you can control your distance and hit the gaps. You won't be seeing too many baskets from the teepad so distance control is important.

Looking forward to seeing everyone out here and it looks as though the cool special discs should be arriving early next week. CH Glow Destroyers, Wraiths, Monarchs, Gummy Star Rhynos, Xtra grippy Champ Bosses, Star Echo Bosses and Destroyers, Rubber Wood Aviar, San Marino and Ontario Rocs, Crystal Challengers, Stalkers, Avenger SS and Buzzz plus more!

See ya!
        Scott Papa
        Team Discraft
        Instructional Editor DiscGolfer Magazine

Comment

Scott and Tim, thanks for the info. Sounds like XD and Leopard heaven. I hope to sign-up in the next few days.

Comment

51 is the record in the longs, what is the record for the short pins from blue?
            Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Will the new tee on 2 be played?
              Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
                51 is the record in the longs, what is the record for the short pins from blue?
                Big Dawg & Bjorn just shot -14, doubles, from blue on sat. bjorn aced hole 4.

Comment

Originally posted by KCrabtree View Post
                  Big Dawg & Bjorn just shot -14, doubles, from blue on sat. bjorn aced hole 4.
                  Nice that has to be the dubs record. I shot a -10 on friday and am curious how far off I am from the little pin record.
                  Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
                    Will the new tee on 2 be played?
                    papa said no...
                    www.soulpancake.com
                    www.bahai.org
                    http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

Comment

Is there any where near by that would be good for camping? There are a few of us coming over and we are looking to camp close to or in between the courses.

Comment

The closest camping you're going to find will be at Illahee state park. Which is close to Fairgrouds and NAD, not walking distance by any means.

There is also Scenic beach state park which is a 20 minute drive away from NAD.

Also, there is Kitsap Memorial Park which is a little further north but a nice camping area.

Comment

Scenic Beach and Kitsap Memorial are both great Hood Canal fronting parks with great sunsets. Illahee state park (main Sound side with campground far away from the shore) should be checked on first, as I believe it may have been "mothballed" with a locked gate last I recalled. I'd recommend Scenic Beach myself. More "rustic" opportunities might exist in the Green Mountain state forest or Tahuya state forest lands, but you'll have to share with bikers and dirt bikes.

BT

Comment

Quick update: My local sources tell me the mothballing of Illahee state park never materialized as threatened. But again, check first.

BT

Comment

I just received word today that the fairgrounds will be opening up camping. There are no hook ups for RV's but nice tent sites. The area is just north of Gordon fields adjacent to the course. They would like people to register by next Thursday and the cost is $10.00 per night. If you are interested let me know and I can contact the county to let them know people are interestd.
                              pwright@wavecable.com
                              Paul

Comment

if you are practicing before the tourney start playing a mando right from blue 3 (new pad). You cannot go over the water.
                                www.soulpancake.com
                                www.bahai.org
                                http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X