X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
    Have you ever played ball golf? How many ball golfers do you know that are scratch golfers and shoot even par? Ball golf par is not set for the average golfer to achieve.

Krabtree shooting a 51 at Seatac is like Tiger woods shooting 70 at Augusta!
    Not everybody can do it! Not everybody should!
    yeah i have played ball golf. i used to play almost everyday when i was a teenager because we lived on a golf course. i still get out and play every once and a while, but the disc has taken the wind out of my balls sails.
    Team HOSER:dancing:
    Team OLY:cheerleader:
    Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

• Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
      i have NEVER played a ball golf course that is all par 3's!!!
      You should give it a try.

3 club Par 3 is awesome. Fast and light, no bag (unless you're counting the cooler!), no tee times, no carts, and usually no speed bumps
      It might even lower your handicap. GL-DL
      Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude, 1998.

Comment

• Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
        yeah i have played ball golf. i used to play almost everyday when i was a teenager because we lived on a golf course. i still get out and play every once and a while, but the disc has taken the wind out of my balls sails.
        As an experienced ball golfer, what was your handicap? How many scratch golfers do you know?

My point being that ball golf par is not realistic for most ball golfers, its what the best golfers in the world shoot and what average golfers inspire to shoot.

Disc golf should be no different.

On a side note: There is a fun little par 3 ball golf course right over in your neck of the woods called Delphi Country Club, very inexpensive but a fun little community track.
        A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

As an experienced ball golfer, what was your handicap? How many scratch golfers do you know?

My point being that ball golf par is not realistic for most ball golfers, its what the best golfers in the world shoot and what average golfers inspire to shoot.

On a side note: There is a fun little par 3 ball golf course right over in your neck of the woods called Delphi Country Club, very inexpensive but a fun little community track.
          i dont know what my handicap was for ball golf and dont know what it is for disc golf. i dont keep track of that sort of stuff. but i do know that a world class golfer would most of the times shoot a under par at most courses, not a even par. same with disc golf. when i first started disc golf and was questitoning par 3 for everything, i started researching the guidlines for par. i think more people should research this. it would shed some light on the whole par thing. the basics of it is that each hole has to have a resonable opportunity at birdie, not a really long chip shot that luckily goes in but a makeable shot on a regular basis. so you cant have a 500 foot hole being a par 3 because there is only a handful of people that can actually have a reasonable birdie shot.

its not just the length of the hole that comes into play for par, it is also the difficulty of the hole. like how many obstructions there are or how much foliage and trees are in the hole.

when i see a hole being played by the top players in washington and they arent haveing a shot for birdie most of the time, then i consider that to be absurd for it to be considered a par 3.

About delphi, not all the holes there are par 3. there are 2 par 5 holes and 1 par 4 hole.
          Team HOSER:dancing:
          Team OLY:cheerleader:
          Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

I think the interesting thing here is that you just made Tyvek's point for him. The average ball golf course is not all par 3's. You have to go to a "fun little" course and like someone else said use three clubs and run through it. Wow, sounds to me like the par 3 courses are not the norm.

That being said, there are certainly many par 4 holes on the SeaTac layout. It does not take away from it's grandeur that pro players (or anyone else) can shoot under par if the par is 60. To try and compare it to the US Open type of course used in ball golf is silly, because SeaTac is not as difficult of a course as many of the courses out there. Try playing a Stan McDaniel design in Charlotte and you will start to understand how you can have par 4 and 5 holes and that is for every level of player. Do people birdie and eagle these holes? Yes, but that again does not diminish the difficulty of Rock Hill or Renaissance. And both courses are much more difficult to play at par or better than SeaTac but the opportunity is still there if you play well.

So try to break the mold and understand that courses can have holes that are not par 3. At this point, Dalaiwood at a total length of 4800 feet in the long position still has two holes that could possibly qualify as par 4 holes and that's okay......

Have fun playing and we'll see you later!
            Scott Papa
            Team Discraft
            Instructional Editor DiscGolfer Magazine

Comment

• Originally posted by papatart View Post
              I think the interesting thing here is that you just made Tyvek's point for him. The average ball golf course is not all par 3's. You have to go to a "fun little" course and like someone else said use three clubs and run through it. Wow, sounds to me like the par 3 courses are not the norm. Have fun playing and we'll see you later!Scott Papa
              First let me say I play to a 9 handicap ball golf (breaks 80 regularly) four scratch rounds in almost 40 years of play.

There are three types of Ball Golf Courses.

Par Three Usually 9 holes for kids and duffers > 2400 yd's

Executive Either 9 or 18 designed for Executives to play in 3 hrs or less. Usually has 3-6 4's and the rest 3's (rarely more then 1 5) 3600-6200 yd's

Full length. Courses are designed individually to fit the land more then by score. No set number of 3's- 4's or-5's but Usually equal number 3's and 5's /9
              Can vary in length from 6200 yds (par 65) to as much as 8000 yd's (Par 74)

Hole lengths

Par 3 from as short as 130 yds ( full wedge for me 1/2 for Tiger) to as much as 220 yd's (3 Iron rolls there, Tiger 8 iron).

Par 4 As short as 285 Crushed Driver for me. Tiger 3-4 iron
              Par 5 as short as 450 Driver 5 iron for me Tiger driver wedge) longest to nearly 600. (me diver 3 wood wedge Tiger Driver 4 Iron.)

So it's actually really easy to compare yourself to better players but just realizing they will choose different tools then you:
              So play only YOUR bag and execute YOUR shots

Ball golf mentality
              How do you play a par 3? Hit it as close as I can then one putt.
              How do you play par 4? Hit it as well as I can then play it like a Par 3.
              How do you play par 5? Hit it twice then play it like a Par 3.

I like the idea of: We both played the same holes and either you or I got around in fewer strokes. Pretty simple and much more rewarding! imnsho
              rewindb.com

Comment

• SeaTac must be a pretty good course if we always argue about it. Not the best, like Guy envisions, else we wouldn't have anything to argue about.

These continual debates about SeaTac's par level seem to me to be symptoms of the root problem- there aren't any courses in the area that even come close to the Tac in difficulty, so she gets singled out and focused on a bit more than is necessary.

(raises a spoonful of Seattle Disc Golf to his lips and takes a taste)

"Hmmm. Needs more courses."
                The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

• Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                  I've heard that name over and over and yet I have no idea of who that is. I'm guessing he's one of the dinosaurs from the 30 year old Seattle Discfunctional Club that are stuck in their ways.
                  Tom: Herm put a lot of time into Terrace as well ... one of the best sidearms in the NW (IMO), and when he's on can really tear it up. I've seen him being very nice, giving and fun to be with ... and then the next time angry and not fun to be around. But as far as Herm and DG in the NW, his time and energy w/ the sport outweigh the "discfunction" as mentioned.

Sea-Tac is Wack.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken Smith View Post
                    Tom: Herm put a lot of time into Terrace as well ... one of the best sidearms in the NW (IMO), and when he's on can really tear it up. I've seen him being very nice, giving and fun to be with ... and then the next time angry and not fun to be around. But as far as Herm and DG in the NW, his time and energy w/ the sport outweigh the "discfunction" as mentioned.

Sea-Tac is Wack.
                    Don't get me wrong, I know that these guys like Lowell other old school guys have been around forever and have gotten a lot of courses in the ground and have done a lot of work in our area. I wouldn't be playing disc golf if it weren't for Terrace Creek being two blocks away from my parents house and I have Lowell to thank for that. I just get so frustrated with some of these guys sometimes when new blood wants to work with them to make the disc golf in our area bigger and better and these guys want to shut us down and go business as usual and I just don't get it. It makes me question their love for the sport especially when they have all of these one course exclusive clubs that collect a course fund and you never see the money used or accounted for. Maybe at one time they cared about disc golf in our area and maybe they still do but they have a funny way of showing it. I think most if not all of the people collecting for a course fund who aren't publicly accounting for it are embezzling it. There are three doubles events I play: Lake Stevens and Arlington Doubles who don't collect a course fund and Terrace Creek where I collect the fund and publicly account for it.
                    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

• I think Guy sums it up well.. In my own opinion, Sea Tac has proved to me this far, it will always test how well you are throwing that day.. Par is whatever your goal maybe in practice and starting at a 60 is a great start at cracking 54. In competion, 54 is a great level to set the bar. I would love to see future championship courses be so demanding (not so impossible) that maybe only future generations will start to touch "par". I try to embrace my over par score at Seatac. It humbles me everytime.That is why it is so special to lots of golfers. At this years CSI I can personally say I put on the worst preformance ever, very humbling. I thought I was ready. The Tac had other ideas. My idea of great golf is a course mightier than the player. It will keep the players evolving.
                      "Remember boys this ain't therapy"-Jub.
                      PDGA # 42821
                      Push-ups owed to: thebakedone 1,856.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken Smith View Post
                        Sea-Tac is Wack.
                        Please explain.
                        Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

• Just to add fuel to the fire If The Tac 's par were to go up 6 to 60 then Lakewood should go down 5 to 49.
                          rewindb.com

Comment

• to be honest sea-tac is NOT as bad as some of u make it out to be. hell just this saturday i shot a +16 at yaguer for my second round. and the 1 time i played sea-tac i shot a +12 for my second round and i'm only a AM. this course is awesome as it stands. thou there are some holes that make u shiver in fear. the next hole u may have a chance at birdie.

i think this whole thing and be summed up in a couple of words....." PLAY TO BEAT THE COURSE...DON'T PLAY TO BEAT THE PERSON NEXT TO YOU"

granted i am only an AM. i think alot of people forget to play atgainst the course. instead they burn energy to beat the person next to them....and then cry that the course is to hard...or the par's on the course are unfair and should be changed.... hell if u want a course with par 4's and par 5's THEN GO FIND A PIECE OF LAND AND BUILD YOU A COURSE THAT FITS YOU...and quit doggin on the other courses!!!!!

Comment

• Sea-tac is probably one of the most humbling courses on the west coast and should be played with that in mind, having said that I played some of the best golf the csi weekend on sat. I have ever played out there. I shot a 58 followed by a 59 and had a 9 stroke lead going into sunday and had I been able to make 3 or 4 30ft putts I could have been very close to shooting par with that in mind sunday was a very different day I managed to card 69 with paul wright shooting a 60 which put us in a play off that went 4 holes and I was able to finally make 3 on 15 for the win. What I,m trying to get at is the course didn't change I did, I started playing defensive golf instead of offensive golf which in turn makes you aim the disc instead of throw the disc, lesson learned. But through all this I never once put myself on the level of dave,dion,kyle or big mike because I know it's impossible for me to throw 500ft it's a little thing called age, and I know that when the top pro's have a day like I was having on sat. they will shoot like brody miller did last year with a 4 under I believe, which to them is like one of the best rounds of their lives. don't get so hung up on ratings and go back to why we play this game and spend the hours and hours trying to better ourselves so we might have one of those magical rounds we all try to shoot. Thanks again to everyone I was able to shoot with and Jub and the crew for a great time.

Comment

• Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
                                Please explain.
                                Had trouble rhyming with Tac
                                Was tired and silly

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X