Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never been so afraid of a 10' putt! And never missed so many 6' ers!
    A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Atleast we will have carts at the next rideout freeze yer balls off winter shindig.
      Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Would anyone disagree if I claimed that Mike's "Challenge" layout plays 2 or 3 strokes harder than NW or SE?

Would anyone take offense if I claimed that I think the Challenge layout also makes better use of the land AND is more fun to play than those other two?

I guess what I'm trying to hint at is that it'd be nice to see more tournaments make use of the HUGE variety of golf holes out there at our beloved supercourse, i.e. the Pro18, Pro27, Challenge layout... whatever. Let's just take a cue from Mr. Rideout and mix it up a bit, folks. For what it's worth, I would particularly like to see more Steilly tournaments run like the '07 and '08 FSO -- 1 round each day on Pro27... or maybe even on the Challenge layout plus a few extra holes to boost the player capacity.

***1 great course > 2 good courses*** you heard it here first, folks.

P.S. capacity-wise, 5somes on 27 holes is essentially equal to 4somes on 36 holes.
        anything truly worth doing is not likely to be easy.

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
          Atleast we will have carts at the next rideout freeze yer balls off winter shindig.
          Yeah, and I bet that's going to be a blast because (as far as I can tell) everything Rideout touches turns to gold.

OK maybe we don't need to deify him yet, but the guy sure does have some creative ways to make events fun across all divisions.
          anything truly worth doing is not likely to be easy.

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
            Would anyone disagree if I claimed that Mike's "Challenge" layout plays 2 or 3 strokes harder than NW or SE?

Would anyone take offense if I claimed that I think the Challenge layout also makes better use of the land AND is more fun to play than those other two?

I guess what I'm trying to hint at is that it'd be nice to see more tournaments make use of the HUGE variety of golf holes out there at our beloved supercourse, i.e. the Pro18, Pro27, Challenge layout... whatever. Let's just take a cue from Mr. Rideout and mix it up a bit, folks. For what it's worth, I would particularly like to see more Steilly tournaments run like the '07 and '08 FSO -- 1 round each day on Pro27... or maybe even on the Challenge layout plus a few extra holes to boost the player capacity.

***1 great course > 2 good courses*** you heard it here first, folks.

P.S. capacity-wise, 5somes on 27 holes is essentially equal to 4somes on 36 holes.
            I'll admit that the amount of land and holes possiblities are immense and unmatched. TD's are only limited by their imagination.
            www.soulpancake.com
            www.bahai.org
            http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

Comment

Heck yah, more info coming soon for The Winter Flurry at Sumner Meadows on Feb 13th. A one day PDGA C-tier on a ball golf course. We will shoot two rounds of thirteen holes. More in a couple weeks.

Saturday was Chilly, but Sunday had the true Chilly Smack weather. It was 30 to 40 degrees with very strong winds. Nate Sexton had a tree limb come crashing down on his head; he looked alright, so we sent him on his way.

I should have some descent photos to share soon. I saw my buddy out there with the camera, but I haven’t actually seen any pics yet.

Again, it amazes me how much chili a tourney of disc golfers can go through. I tell my buddy to make more and more, but the more he brews up, the more they keep wolfing it down.

Saturday ran well. A little behind schedule due to fair weather golfers waiting to see if the forecast is still for, well, fair weather. The more the merrier. I was stoked to get 90 golfers in 30 to 35 degree temps; I could barely feel the heat coming off the big propane heater we had set up. By the end of the day, I was beat. I feel that I did the award ceremonies in a rushed and disorganized fashion. A few more minutes of preparation could have gone a long way.

Throwing a novelty style event on Sunday with a “developed in theory and supported by a few semi-practical test runs” scoring technique proved to take a little more time than I anticipated. I certainly felt the pressure all day of making sure that the players didn’t finish in the dark. Starting the second round at about 1:30 in the afternoon Sunday was cutting it way to close, but the last card came in about 15 minutes before the grove started to blacken and freeze.

I need to say Thank You to many folks out there.

Hole Sponsors
              Chuck Morgan
              Ed Munoz
              Kevin Holland
              Zu Glass
              Dick and LaVon (also let us use their trailer on Saturday)
              Jay and Claudia (and placed a large donation towards the chili ingredients)
              Ray Seick

Kathy (wife) was posted at tourney central from check-in through the awards ceremony both days. She did the check in each morning and was ready to help do anything needed the whole weekend. She answered as many questions as possible for players all weekend.

Anthony is responsible for shopping, prepping, cooking, delivering, serving, and cleaning the whole chili program. He doesn’t pay cash into the event, but he provides an outstanding service to the weekend. Each year he contributes a lot of free time to the chili for the players, about five to six hours a day for four days. It takes his whole weekend and he loves doing it.

Ryan Gwillim, Rob Smith, Jeff Hagerty, Dion Arlyn, Nate Sexton These guys helped count cards and put cards on the board, help with rulings (Gwillim), hand delivered the players packs on Saturday morning (Hagerty), helped with the awards ceremony (Arlyn), wouldn’t leave Saturday night until he knew that things were done (Smith), helped ctp out the ace pot cash (Mike Werth sat and Chris Waugh sun).

My biggest surprise helper was Chris Ozanich. I don’t recall how it started, but he totally took the bull by the horns Saturday between rounds divvying out the players packs. I gave him a list and supplied a quickly delivered bowl of chili and he spent most of the break helping in the tent. He seemed happy to do it and willing to help more if asked. Thank you Chris, you were a huge help.

Mark Kilmer – let me borrow a portable basket and a table.

Janel – she made 150 cornbread muffins (most where gone by Sunday)

Rob Dean – Put out all the tee signs Saturday morning for two courses.

Kyle Sutherland threw in a little appreciated cash.

I am sure that I am forgetting many people. Sorry and thank you.

Phantom Dubs results…Team Payout

Pro - Cash
              1st…Chandler Fry and Kyle Crabtree…Team Crabfry…100…$290
              2nd…Dion Arlyn and Nate Sexton…Pinky and the Brain…102…$160
              3rd…Chris Waugh and Mike Cain…Team Greenlight…109…$120
              4th…Kirk McAllister and Matt Sommer…Terriyaki Turtles…114…$80
              5th…Mike Werth and Bjorn Pinney…4 200 Alex…115
              6th…Justin Romito and Justin Hiatt…House of Justin…117
              7th…Aaron Holley and Ming Vang…119
              8th…Dan Lilley and Mark Kilmer…Steily Extreme…120
              9th…Ryan Deroche and Casey Olson…124

Am - Scrip
              1st…Rick Bailey and Mike Heberling…109…$150
              2nd…Chris Fabry and Dave Manzo…Warm Egg…114…$100
              3rd…Brandon Parsons and John Wills…Rockstar…115…$80
              4th…Hector Diakow and Ian Markussen…TransAmerica…116…$66
              5th…Jason Van Proyen and Josh Bohling…117…$50
              6th…Chris Gilberts and Jaime Graces…Tacoly…120…$40
              7th…Paul Wright and Jeremy Frieling…121…$40
              8th…Ryan Guiher and Ray Sanchez…New Boyz…122…$40
              9th…Kyle Sutherland and Ryan Bartell…Rhyno-Mite!...126…$40
              10th…Toby Cheff and Josh Brewster…Dude I hope you make it…127
              11th…Nate Bell and Chris Nixon…Aceholes…128
              12th…Tex Garrett and Ron Lidstrom Sr…Team Deuce…129
              13th…Denny Benjamin and Sam Huff…West Sound Basket Case…130
              14th…Rob Dean and Sam Niumatalolo…Team Spanaway…131
              15th…Trevor Werth and Andy Pinney…135
              16th…Chris Ozanich and Sam Campbell…137……(possibly looking for other “couples teams” next year?)
              17th…Ron Bolan and Zac Krueger…139
              18th…Jack Lorber and Adam Plueger…147
              19th…Ron Stevens and Brian Ronich…DNF

Chilly Smack Challenge already on the PDGA schedule for Dec 4th, 2010.

Can't wait.

Mike Rideout
              WA ST Approved PDGA Schedule

4DiscGolf - a tournament directors best friend!!!

Tournament Directors - register your event HERE

Comment

Got home tonight, washed my hands and wondered why it felt like I had put lotion on my hands.(ok, save the dirty minded jokes) I wrote it off as just being cold and slippery... then I started thinking as to why I was struggling to grip my discs so much more than the others in my group under the same conditions... sure my discs were frozen and my hands were a bit cold, but I couldn't get a grip for the life of me.

Does anyone else use W-D40 to ensure a 'smooth' release of the disc? DOH!!!

LOL... OMG... I made a 'pull cart' in the wee hours the night before the tourney, and sprayed a generous amount of W-D40 all over the squeaky wheel bearings and wheels-- guess I didn't wipe up well enough.... I must've avoided getting much on my hands before the first round, but I think that I got a little too 'lubed up' for the second round when I loaded/unloaded the cart out of the car, grabbing it by the wheels each time. I struggled gripping the disc so bad that it was actually comical...I've gotten the shanks a time or two, but this was REALLY 'out of hand'... three slippery early releases followed by a compensatory MAJOR cling on, then repeat. I even said a few times that there must be something else going on that I couldn't figure out...WHY can't I get a grip.
                I really felt bad for my partner-- he was playing good.

The good news is my hands will be nice and smooth for another day or so... and I can snap my fingers like never before...
                Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X