Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like the way you're thinking, Bob. So as far as venues, what are you envisioning?

East: Spokane, Walla Walla?
    Middle: Tri-cities, Leavenworth?
    West: Steilly, Seattle? (I'm still casting my vote in favor of a LW/Tac combo)
    Finals:???

Personally, I still think the peninsula should be included in the lineups, have a NAD/Fairgrounds tourney. Maybe make them one of the west venues, and have finals at Steilly.

Thanks for getting the discussion rolling again.
    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

• Perhaps the finals could rotate from region to region each year.

Comment

• Not a bad idea. My rationale for Steilly is just that since it's the oldest "supercourse" in WA, it seems fitting to have the finals for the series there.

Another idea, I heard about from ye olden days of the NW series, that series qualifiers got to attend finals at a temp course that was installed just for that event. That could be pretty sweet too, if the resources were there.

Comment

• what are the standards for making an event A-tier? B-tier? C-tier? Perhaps its not as much money as you all are thinking. I doubt most B tiers in WA met this requirement anyways...

• Increase the added pro cash requirement for B Tiers from $250 to $500.
          • Increase the added cash requirement for A Tiers from $1000 to $1500.

i will do the math on this if you all want but im going to say about 30$ from each pros entry actually goes into the prize pool...
          Last edited by DoubleDees; October 23rd, 2009, 10:53 AM.

Comment

• I can't speak on other events, but I know Lakewood met the requirements. But if you think that most events had trouble meeting the $500 mark, why try to force them to meet the $1500? As to the pro purse, I think at MOST $20 would be going to PDGA fees/series fees/expenses, etc. Probably closer to $10-15.

Comment

• Last year the cost per player was a little under $10 for the Lakewood Open. That includes reserving the course, sanctioning/insurance, paper/printing/supplies, series fee, water & I couple of other items I'm probably forgetting. That number does not include the cost of the player packs the Ams got.

We had a bit over $1,100 in added cash (which was great) and ended up paying out 143% of the pro net entry fees (not incl. trophy value). For me fundraising is my number one least favorite part of running an event but I've got say that we had a lot of generous donors to the Lakewood Open in 2009.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wobbly Bob View Post
                Being on the far East side of the state we have never had the opportunity to share ideas about the way the WSS has been or should be run. It's always been, here's the guidelines, you must buy these discs, send us the Series Fees, thank you very much.

Not many competitors from Spokane ever qualify for the WSS because even Tri Cities and Walla Walla are traveling tournaments. This is the reason that the Inland Northwest Series was created and in 2009 this series accrued $3800 for payout at the Finals. This was in addition to the tournament payout itself.

Spokane now has four PDGA events annually, 3 "B" Tier and 1 "C" Tier. All are two day events and two of them are multiple course events.

So here's my thoughts. Washington State Series events should be quality PDGA sanctioned, "B" Tier minimum, two day tournaments. While bigger doesn't always mean better, events with multiple courses will accomodate more competitors, resulting in more funds accrued for the finals and larger divisions in which to compete. Series events should be the only PDGA event held in the State on their respective weekends. The Series should have six events and a Series Finals. Two events held on the west side, two held on the east side and two held in the middle of the state. These events would be picked by TD's bidding on the opportunity to hold a Series event. There would be a minimum bid of $100 per event with this money going to the Overalls purse, up front like the sanction fee. The Finals would be bid upon by TD's for the honor of holding the Washington State Series Championships (this event would preferably be an "A" Tier tournament).

Competitors would have to compete in three events to qualify for the Finals, but would be able to take their points from their best four events to the Finals (this helps to increase participation in smaller divisions at the Finals). This system effectively allows competitors from across the state (mainly from the middle and east sides) to compete in the Series without having to spend large sums of cash to qualify for the Finals.

This system would create a Series of quality events and an equitable method of including all of Washinton's disc golfers.
                I like it BOB! It sounds fair for everybody. I think you guys on the Eastside should run the series. You always have quality events and quality courses. Take it over and make it happen. I still think that a committee for the series is the best way to keep it consistent, but even a committee needs somebody to organize it.
                A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

• Just my two cents

I will compete in any event, with or without any level of sanctioning, and being a part of or not a part of any series.

I donít think that a state series event should ever be A-tier or NT (National Tour). Let me rephrase that, I donít think being a member of any particular organization (the PDGA in this case) should be a requirement for any disc golfer who wants to compete in their state series.

Donít get me wrong, I would compete in more of our series events if they were all A-tier, but be that as it may, the simple principle of the matter keeps me from liking the idea.

Mike Rideout
                  WA ST Approved PDGA Schedule

4DiscGolf - a tournament directors best friend!!!

Tournament Directors - register your event HERE

Comment

• Originally posted by cefire View Post
                    CFR discs are getting difficult to sell as the market is now getting saturated with plastic...
                    After running the Rose City Open last year I received a questionnaire from Innova and one of my biggest complaints was that every tournament under the sun uses CFR discs to raise money and as a result the market is completely saturated. I questioned the logic of letting smaller tourneys use CFR discs to raise money when they're are doing that at the expense of larger tourneys.

I never heard back from them
                    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

• Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                      After running the Rose City Open last year I received a questionnaire from Innova and one of my biggest complaints was that every tournament under the sun uses CFR discs to raise money and as a result the market is completely saturated. I questioned the logic of letting smaller tourneys use CFR discs to raise money when they're are doing that at the expense of larger tourneys.

I never heard back from them
                      Bad for tournaments, but great for players. It's nice being able to easily find (and not pay a fortune for) such goodies as Champion Gators and Glow Destroyers.

Comment

• yeahyah!

I like the idea of having the series evenly spread throughout the state. Series eventsas A tiers would be sweet but B's are good enough for sure. If the final event were a qualify only A tier that would be sweet. Put it at a temporary location, amazing! I am sure that there is a small ball golf course somewhere that would be happy to get some exposure and added business. Wapato park in tacoma could be world class. So many possibilities.
                        I also like the idea of making clubs bid for series events instead of TDs. The club would then provide their TD but the club would be accountable for their event. A series commitie is the way to go for sure, how to do it I don't know but I know there are many qualified go getters out there that will step up and make washington disc golf all that it should be. I thank all of you in advance! Looking forward to the future.
                        Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim View Post
                          ...(I'm still casting my vote in favor of a LW/Tac combo).
                          Oops, Sorry! Wrong answer.

I still say 6 "and a final" are to many. (Kinda like the CFR conversation.)
                          I agree venues need to change. West side Mossy and Vancouver should also be considered,
                          Now that Moses Lake has had a couple of events maybe they would partcipate. There has to be somewhere in E-Berg?

My main questions are
                          Who is running what next year?
                          Is Eric default coordinator?
                          What events even want to be in the series next year?

Why not have two series
                          One east (effective and it's already up and running)
                          and
                          One West
                          and then
                          A Great Big Final.

Make it a competition of which side contributes more to the final payout.

The idea of team play can also be added.
                          rewindb.com

Comment

• So it sounds like Jub is finally in favor of a LAKEWOOD/SEATAC event! Good to have you on board!HEHEHE
                            A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

• Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
                              So it sounds like Jub is finally in favor of a LAKEWOOD/SEATAC event! Good to have you on board!HEHEHE
                              NOPE!

Not Gonna do it, would 'nt be prudent
                              rewindb.com

Comment

• Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                                NOPE!

Not Gonna do it, would 'nt be prudent
                                it might work if you made Lakewood into a 24 hole course
                                then it would play in about the same amount of time as Sea Tac
                                "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X