Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tim View Post
    Isn't that just a rephrasing of "4 events to qualify?"
    No - If you miss a tournament you could still participate in the series and have your 3 finishes count towards the final points standings.

Use Tuesday Twos as an example: 18 weeks, with only your ten best weeks counting towards the final standings. The first place finisher only needed 11 weeks to do it (one score was left out), while one person tied for 11th used all 18. Chris Hill barely missed the playoffs and was only there 9 weeks.

Missing one week of a four tournament event would have a much more damaging effect, but wouldn't necessarily keep someone from competing for the final points standings.

Comment

Ahh, I see what you're getting at. I guess it depends on how you do your scoring for series points. This year, the series is doing the tried and true method of 100 pts. to 1st, 99 to 2nd, etc. It could work out, but that would mean that a guy that got 1st place in 3 tourneys would be equal to a guy that got 25th place in 4.

So instead of a qualifying number of events, you're basically suggesting having a qualifying number of points?
      Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

So instead of a qualifying number of events, you're basically suggesting having a qualifying number of points?
        I don't even think I'm suggesting that, but there is definately a reward for attending as many events as possible (although not required).

TT uses the point system of 1 point for every person you beat or tie. If I recall from earlier discussions, this was not used in the WA series because not all events were equally attended and players on the east side were at a disadvantage. This would be moot if the series could be built up so that every event sells out.

Comment

Yeah, there's advantages and disadvantages to both scoring systems. In the points for every person you beat, i.e. the "bottom up" method, you can be kind of unfairly penalized if your division happens to be small that particular tournament. I think pretty much all of the events filled up this year, but variance in field sizes can skew things.

In years past, people who qualified for the series got a little something at the end of the year like a t-shirt and some swag. I think having some sort of qualification and award would be important to keep in the series.

Comment

At some point you have to have a cut off for people to qualify, otherwise everybody who played one event would get a prize?

I think there is too much demand to have a small series (less than 6 events), the people that want to compete in all events end up not getting into a tourney because it fills up with non series players.

As it stands maybe 20% of tournement players are in the whole series, this means the series makes money off of the other 80%.

The difference money wise, between having a 4 event must play all series and an 8 event must play 5 series, is according to Double Dees calculation only $200. Id estimate a little lower as I don't smoke and I'm ok with Pabst!

Also, Scott's point about having plans and a life....As the series stands now, a West sider only HAS to go East one out of three tourneys, an East sider HAS to come West twice out of five. There is room for a life with that schedule! Or a sister who won't rearrange her wedding for disc golf(as if theres one of those out there)!!
            A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Ahh, I see what you're getting at. I guess it depends on how you do your scoring for series points. This year, the series is doing the tried and true method of 100 pts. to 1st, 99 to 2nd, etc. It could work out, but that would mean that a guy that got 1st place in 3 tourneys would be equal to a guy that got 25th place in 4.

No, no "qualification" is necessary at all. Simply take the player's X best finishes. Period. Yes, it is POSSIBLE to win the series with less than the included number of finishes, but VERY unlikely, and they would have to be all VERY GOOD finishes. But why give players no shot at all just because they can't make some arbitrary number of events?

Also, your math is a little off. 25th place in a 100-down system is 76 points, so three 1st-place finishes would be 300, and four 25th-place finishes would be 304 points.

The 100-down points system is wacky anyway, because you get the same points for beating a field of 5 as you do for beating a field of 50. But yes, under that system, 3 firsts would be less than 4 25ths. HOWEVER, the series winner would probably have closer to 400 points than 300, so neither of those example players would win the series anyway.
              Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
              Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
              Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
              Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
              Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

How many spots in the series do you pay out? If 100 different people play in a division for the whole series, does that mean 100 qualifiers and the top 40 get paid out?

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                  No, no "qualification" is necessary at all. Simply take the player's X best finishes. Period. Yes, it is POSSIBLE to win the series with less than the included number of finishes, but VERY unlikely, and they would have to be all VERY GOOD finishes. But why give players no shot at all just because they can't make some arbitrary number of events?

Also, your math is a little off. 25th place in a 100-down system is 76 points, so three 1st-place finishes would be 300, and four 25th-place finishes would be 304 points.

The 100-down points system is wacky anyway, because you get the same points for beating a field of 5 as you do for beating a field of 50. But yes, under that system, 3 firsts would be less than 4 25ths. HOWEVER, the series winner would probably have closer to 400 points than 300, so neither of those example players would win the series anyway.
                  Heh, yeah, I kind of realized something was off in my calculations after I posted. OK, so 26th place then...gimme a break, math isn't my strong point.

And yes, the "top down" system isn't perfect. One thing that's implemented this year though, that I think is kind of cool, is that players are awarded "Iron Man" points for playing more events. I.e., say there are 8 events, 5 needed to qualify, a player gets a bonus point for each event they play over the required 5. That works OK for the top down way, since there are so many points involved, a couple points here and there shouldn't make a huge sway, but can change some close races. It might have more of an impact with the bottom up method though, since individual points are worth so much more.

But, in the words of Ol' Bob, I digress. Scoring systems are much smaller picture than this thread is intended to be.

Comment

The extra point per event played has been in effect as long as I can remember(3 or 4 years). Its one point per event played, not point per event over five.

Comment

Ah, well, it's slightly adjusted this year. Just looked at the points, it's actually 2 per event this year, and it's just over the required amount of qualifying events. The logic being, if every person who qualifies is getting bonus points, any kind of "bonus" is negated since everyone will have the same points.

Comment

So it looks like the majority is in favor of 6-8 events (unless clubs are able to raise funds for A tiers). This makes sence with the number of courses,vendors, and players that could profit from the events. I like the idea of having the series control the script but you could offer outside companies or vendor this option in their sponsorship package. But this option would not come with the base level of sponsorship. Theywould have to give a little more to get and they would also have to compete with the prices that the series discs are sold at hopefully driving down prices.

All appera to be in favor of a commity so how do we go about setting up the commity?
                        What positions are needed?
                        Who would you nominate for what?
                        What qualifies you to get a vote for positions?

Ithink that once the commity is formed all the details can be worked out from there.
                        Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

According to the TDGPA website and 2009 series rules, one extra point will be awarded per event played.

Where did you get your info Tim? Is there any other rules that have changed?

Comment

OK, well, let me state that I'm in no way a series official or anything, so it could very well be that things have changed. At the beginning of the series, before Ray stepped down, Chuck volunteered to take care of the points as a way to take some of the load off. He'd outlined the Iron Man points and everything, and Ray was good to go with it. Chuck has since been keeping track of all the points and everything, but I don't know if anyone else has. If Paul or somebody else that's more involved with the series has a separate tally that they've been keeping, I'd defer to them.

Comment

Are the points updated? If so where? Also, is there a series rules that has the points breakdown in it?(other than TDGPA website)

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
                                So it looks like the majority is in favor of 6-8 events (unless clubs are able to raise funds for A tiers). This makes sence with the number of courses,vendors, and players that could profit from the events. I like the idea of having the series control the script but you could offer outside companies or vendor this option in their sponsorship package. But this option would not come with the base level of sponsorship. Theywould have to give a little more to get and they would also have to compete with the prices that the series discs are sold at hopefully driving down prices.

All appera to be in favor of a commity so how do we go about setting up the commity?
                                What positions are needed?
                                Who would you nominate for what?
                                What qualifies you to get a vote for positions?

Ithink that once the commity is formed all the details can be worked out from there.

I think the first step in forming a committee would be talking with all of the current TD's for the series, they are the ones that have been making it happen.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X