X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WA State Championships - August 29-30

Got this e-mail from Lowell this a.m. Also, Gordy K. announced this during the Jet Wash Open this weekend:

Come join us for the 34th annual Washington State Disc Golf Championship! Sponsorship discs still available:
    Champion & Star Boss, Champion Destroyer & Xcaliber @ $16! Glow Champion wraith and destroyer @$20!
    Support the World's Oldest State Disc Golf Tournament & have a great time too!

See the attachment for details.

Lowell

Fantasy Flights Disc Golf
    23301 66th ave W
    Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043
    fantasyflights@comcast.net
    (425) 670-2548

Ok. I guess I need to rant a bit. Most people who know me realize I'm not a ranter. However, even The Cannon needs to rant from time-to-time. Due to the last minute notices as to when this tourney is, I can never play it. This year is no exception. The weekend of 8/29 is packed for me. I really wanted to play this. I figured it was in October, as is typical (?). I know Lowell doesn't get on this forum, and Gordy (and Tuffi with her e-mails) is good enough to give people a heads-up. For folks that aren't married and particularly kid-less (and perhaps job-less) this may not be as big an issue. For us 40+ guys with lots of responsibilities and commitments outside of DG, this is very frustrating. For a disc golf tournament as old as this (the oldest from what I hear), there has to be more hoopla and more promoting!!

Come on Washington, what the hell! Not everybody is in Lowell's circles, and won't hear about any rumblings prior to the formal announcement. Can I encourage any commentary from WA/OR players ... Sam, Gawain, WA elderstatesmen/women? Is it just me ... I just don't get it.
    Last edited by Tim; August 17th, 2009, 02:56 PM. Reason: Added link to the flyer

When is it? I assume the 29th from your rant, but I didn't see the attachment either. If it is the 29th and 30th, then I can't make it either.

I'll be huking plastic off Mt. Bachelor...
    Last edited by all2common; August 17th, 2009, 02:12 PM. Reason: I wonder if I'm even conscious sometimes.
    Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

laid back event

my guess is that they want it as laid back as allways, I don't believe it's ever been a well publisized event, back in the days that I went ,Miller told me when it was, I think only washingtonians can win the trophies anyway, that's my guess

Comment

All 2 Common: There was no attachment sent by Lowell. Gordy provided the flyer, but people who weren't at the tournament would be able to read the flyer due to the lack of attachments. Yes, it's two rounds at Steilly on 8/29, and two rounds at Terrace on 8/30.

Comment

The 3 keys to disc golf event success: promotion, promotion, promotion. The definition of promotion has changed drastically over 30 years. Flyers, signs, postcards & word-of-mouth have been replaced by web sites, email, text, forums, etc.

From my wife's work (project management): "One hour of planning saves 20 to 200 hours or more of implementation." You just can't start your work on a disc golf event early enough. I can name several successful ones for which planning begins well over a year in advance.

The only way to accomplish such bodies of work is through teamwork. The tournament director's job becomes one of management and delegation. A strong volunteer network is essential. Such a network can be strengthened through the formation of clubs, regular meetings, and other forms of networking.

Event added to calendar
          Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
          Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
          Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
          Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
          Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKIN JOE View Post
            my guess is that they want it as laid back as allways, I don't believe it's ever been a well publisized event, back in the days that I went ,Miller told me when it was, I think only washingtonians can win the trophies anyway, that's my guess
            Smokin: I hear ya. It makes no sense to me that it's laid back ... it should be touted. Oh well, I've blown my load. Better get back to work here.

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
              The 3 keys to disc golf event success: promotion, promotion, promotion. The definition of promotion has changed drastically over 30 years. Flyers, signs, postcards & word-of-mouth have been replaced by web sites, email, text, forums, etc.

From my wife's work (project management): "One hour of planning saves 20 to 200 hours or more of implementation." You just can't start your work on a disc golf event early enough. I can name several successful ones for which planning begins well over a year in advance.

The only way to accomplish such bodies of work is through teamwork. The tournament director's job becomes one of management and delegation. A strong volunteer network is essential. Such a network can be strengthened through the formation of clubs, regular meetings, and other forms of networking.

Event added to calendar
              Very well put. I guess you answer my question in your last paragraph. Is there an emoticon for a big SIGH!

Comment

This past weekend while at Jet Wash was the first i had heard about the championships for this year. i was a bit suprised when i saw that it was ONLY 2 weeks away!! i have only been playing for 1year and 9 months and i didnt have any interest in playing this tournament last year because it just seemed like small unorganized event. it sounds the same this year. when i think Championship event, i think BIG everything! we should be treating this thing like a A tier event! not a c tier or lower.

Maybe somebody else needs to step in and take over the planning of the event. i think it should be promoted two months in advance and updates and reminders given at tournaments. if this tournament was PDGA sanctioned and treated like a true championship event, then i and alot of others would actually show interest, but as it now it is just MEHH, oh well i missed it again.

i dont mind ranting with you Ken.
                Team HOSER:dancing:
                Team OLY:cheerleader:
                Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Ken, I agree with you. I made comments about the WA championships earlier in the OR States thread. Rather than type it over, I'll just quote myself:

I hear ya. I can't speak to the OR tourney, but as for WA, I'd like to see it promoted more and drawing more people in. But Lowell's been running it for years, and its fairly small, low key and relaxed, which apparently is the way he wants it. I have no problem with small low key tourneys, but it's not the way I envision a state championship. It's not my tourney though, so not my call.
                  Oh, BTW, I just added a link to the flyer in your post, hope you don't mind.
                  Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

& It makes it tough for the WDDGA players to join in since we're having our tournament on the 29th at Riverside Disc Golf Course. SIGH! Oh well.. perhaps next year!
                    Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!
                    DDGA #202; WDDGA #37; ODDGA #47 ; PDGA #38171

Comment

an open weekend would be nice to obtain all posible washingtonians

Comment

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
                        This past weekend while at Jet Wash was the first i had heard about the championships for this year. i was a bit suprised when i saw that it was ONLY 2 weeks away!! i have only been playing for 1year and 9 months and i didnt have any interest in playing this tournament last year because it just seemed like small unorganized event. it sounds the same this year. when i think Championship event, i think BIG everything! we should be treating this thing like a A tier event! not a c tier or lower.

Maybe somebody else needs to step in and take over the planning of the event. i think it should be promoted two months in advance and updates and reminders given at tournaments. if this tournament was PDGA sanctioned and treated like a true championship event, then i and alot of others would actually show interest, but as it now it is just MEHH, oh well i missed it again.

i dont mind ranting with you Ken.
                        Thank you for your perspective. It helps me get the perspective of others.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                          Ken, I agree with you. I made comments about the WA championships earlier in the OR States thread. Rather than type it over, I'll just quote myself:

Oh, BTW, I just added a link to the flyer in your post, hope you don't mind.

Don't mind at all, Tim. Well, one day I'll play in it. I just don't see a lot of pride coming through with this event.

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKIN JOE View Post
                            an open weekend would be nice to obtain all posible washingtonians
                            It doesn't sound as if the organizers of either state championships (OR or WA)are truly interested in determining who the best player from the state is. It sounds as if they are running it because.... Well, I guess I have no idea. Ego, I suppose.

Comment

Championships should be sanctioned and promoted properly. They should also be played on courses that challenge a golfer to the fullest. I played last year and there weren't many more than 12 to15 pros, if I remember correctly. It was fun but didn't have a championship feel. I probably won't play this year due to the short notice. I might play in the future but really think the tourney could be improved. I am not going to go too far into detail about what I think should happen because the TD isn't here to listen. For those who plan to attend have fun!
                              Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X