X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tim View Post
    And I'm not sure, but ... likely the only rounds he's thrown in months. In a word: Badass.
    Don't let Granny fool ya little timmy, He's been seen and harassed at Arlington
    rewindb.com

Comment

Hehe, yeah, he was spotted at Terrace shortly before the tourney too. So maybe they weren't the only rounds he's played, but he sure hasn't been playing much at all being up on Camano. I still contend that his "Badass" status is in effect.
      Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

That quirky old man is one the most entertaining disc golfers I have seen
        Read this ^

Comment

Kurt Bayne

Originally posted by DMajor View Post
          That quirky old man is one the most entertaining disc golfers I have seen
          Kurt Bayne is by far the most entertaining I have seen and played with.
          In fact you could prolly have a forum just for that ol wiley vet.
          I love to share these stories of Kurt and the time seems right.
          The first time I met KB was 1991 at the Southern Oregon Lightning Open.
          He showed up and played with only Lightning discs.
          Of course he won.
          Another one was at a Eugene Celebration.
          Kurt went into the community center at West Moreland and bought a shark.
          He mentioned to me he'd never thrown one and then he proceeded to use it and only it for the whole gig. Yep he won that one also.
          The most fun I had watching him play was Crystal Mt. where he used a Super Puppy on pretty much every shot.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          - Anonymous

Comment

I added a few MORE PICTURES from Sunday's competition at Terrace Creek.

Comment

Hooray for the Washington Champs!
              Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
              Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
              Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
              Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
              Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Here are the results if anyone is interested:

advanced

1 paul wright 213
                2 Brett vintertun 219
                3 Brandon Parsons 220
                4 Tim Coye 223
                5 Jon wills 225
                6 Nate Bell 227
                7 John Krueger231
                8 Brent Smith 236
                9 Aaron Thorfinnson 244
                10 Andrew Little 265

amateur

1 Kyle Baker 217
                2 Rahn Henderson 224
                3 Nathan Pervinich 231
                4 Kyle Huber 232
                5 John Munson 237
                6 Even Troka 241
                7 Chris Nixon 248
                8 Brett Jaasund 255

Am women

1 Sam Campbell 289
                2 Chelsea Lorge 292

grandmaster

1 Michael Grossman 204
                2 Gordy Kirkpatrick 217

Master
                1 Lowell Shields 194
                2 Scott Papa 203

Open Women
                1 Tuffi Dolan 225
                2 Jesse Westphal 245

Open
                1 Kurt Bayne 193
                2 Lowell Shields 194
                3-4 Aaron Holley/Bjorn Pinney 200
                5 Scott Papa 203
                6 Michael Grossman 204
                7 Eric Mesford 210
                8 Danilo Lucoo 211
                9 Cheney 212
                10 Todd Provancha 213
                11 Gordy Kirkpatrick 217
                12 Danny Galloway 220
                13 Neil Bishop 221
                14 Andy Faris 226
                15 DNF

Comment

Isn't Auburn the East Side of Washington State?

Shouldn't this tournament be called the Western Washington Championships? The east side of the state didn't hear anything about this tournament until 8/17/09. Nine days is hardly enough time to work out the logistics to compete in an out of town tournament.

The east side does have some competitors that would give the west side guys a run for their money and their trophies.

I do however think that the Washington State Championships should be a PDGA sanctioned event, minimum "B" Tier, perferably an "A" Tier.

I also think that the Washington State Championships should be held on the east side of the state at least once every three or four years. We have some very challenging courses in Spokane and an awesome volunteer tournament crew that can handle all jobs from raising sponsorship and course maintenance to food preparation.
                  Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

There's a lot of people that agree with you Bob, on many levels. It should be an advertised tourney that is sanctioned. The other side of the spectrum, is the fact that Lowell has run this tourney for a long time. Its his baby, and nobody has the right to take it away from him. Maybe the solution is another "state" tourney that moves location every year and includes both sides of the mountains.

And by the way, you do have great courses, and a great crew over there that can handle any tourney!
                    A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

I agree with you Bob...check out post #24. Do you know Gordy Kirkpatrick? Lowell has turned the Championships over to him for the upcoming year. I don't know what his exact plans are, but I bet he'd listen to any suggestions.

Comment

Seems like a small turnout for a state championship. Were there others besides those listed in the results above?

Comment

Originally posted by AchimbaProphet View Post
                          Seems like a small turnout for a state championship. Were there others besides those listed in the results above?
                          This tournament was not widely publicized and was first announced less than two weeks before.

Comment

WE need a "tourny pop up" blocker. Gone are the days when players showed up early Sat, Money in hand and ready to play.
                            rewindb.com

Comment

Change is good.
                              Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

History: do you know any? The washington state championship is a tradition. It was the first tournament ever run

Originally posted by Wobbly Bob View Post
                                Shouldn't this tournament be called the Western Washington Championships? The east side of the state didn't hear anything about this tournament until 8/17/09. Nine days is hardly enough time to work out the logistics to compete in an out of town tournament.

The east side does have some competitors that would give the west side guys a run for their money and their trophies.

I do however think that the Washington State Championships should be a PDGA sanctioned event, minimum "B" Tier, perferably an "A" Tier.

I also think that the Washington State Championships should be held on the east side of the state at least once every three or four years. We have some very challenging courses in Spokane and an awesome volunteer tournament crew that can handle all jobs from raising sponsorship and course maintenance to food preparation.

NOTE: The tradition of the washington state championship goes back to before there were any courses on the east side of the state or anyplace but seattle in 1976. It was founded by hall of fame member Doug Newland. the first golfer in this state along with Steve Slasor who also won the florida state title several times. Since 1986 the tournament has also been held in Tacoma and Seattle, now Terrace Creek since 1995. There was no PDGA when this tourny started. There were only the IFa and frisbees. Every tournament out there is PDga. I give that money to the players and I never take a directors fee. Neither did Doug who handed it down to me. This is the oldest tournament for disc golf in the world, the longest running strictly golf tourny there is on the planet. You don't mess with that. It should never be stopped.
                                It would be good to have a turn on the east side once in awhile as long as it's a fair test of skill and not a bunch of wide open 600 foot holes only power throwers can win on. By the way, this tournament was announced at every single washington series event and flyers were available at all of them. So don't try to say there was no advertising. Ask Samantha Campbell and Gordy. This tournament pays out better than most and always has in spite of turn out. We paid out over $1000 for first with 14 Pros a couple of years back. And we don't take all the amateur money and give it to the pros field either. We give all the money from ams to ams. The PDGA means nothing unless you are going to worlds. How many wash state people went? 2? 3? One of us won a title though. good job Paul Wright!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X