Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would've loved to attend the championship match for WA state. 2 weeks notice, ugh! No juniors, Ugh. No reg posted until Ken, not a TD of this event, posted a link to it.
    How can this be called a WA State Championships? Are only the best in the NW invited to this? Does one have to be "In the know" to go? Do they only take the cream of the NW crop for this Tourney? How many WA events do you have to play? Can anyone start a WA State Championship series? I understand that this is a long term/old-school event that should be left as-is but should it be called the WA state Championships? If so, what are the perimeters for this event? Living in WA and coughing up $55 makes you eligible to play? Not trying to be snotty just don't understand this tourney and would've loved to be part of it and with 2 weeks notice. no dice.

Comment

Hey all! I think that maybe a good, deep breath is in order here. I see many posts where people are complaining about not being in the know about this event. I am right there with you, but I am going to put most of that fault right on myself.

I too am 40++ and with wife and very young kids along with a job that includes working weekends. If I had been a little more pro-active a few weeks ago I could have easily been in touch with Lowell via phone or e-mail to find out when everything was happening. If there is something that is important to YOU and YOUR schedule, then do like I should have done and find out by investigation. I spent a bunch of time at Worlds this year trying to find out what the date of next years Worlds will be so that we can start planning now. Didn't just sit around, wait and then complain that nobody did my work for me.

Lowell has been running this thing for the last 30 years. He, the tourney and the courses it is held on deserve the respect of the players. I am proud to say that my name was added to the trophy and will always count it as an important part of my career as a disc golfer.

See you at the event!

Scott Papa
      2008 Washington State Champion
      Team Discraft
      Instructional Editor DiscGolfer Magazine

Comment

Like I said, I am not trying to be snotty or disrespect the Toureny nor the individual that runs it. And I most certainly do my homework when it comes to planning/investigating. I am right now booking hotels/flights to be in Sandusky ,Ohio next year for worlds and in Rochester,NY the year after.

What I believe, in my case is that you have a "State Championship" event that doesn't get the publicity it deserves and is an event on the Down-low. There isn't a WA State Championships website and it's not even on the TDGPA site as of today.

Scott, you personally know the organizer of this event so you are "In the know" which is great and makes it easy for you to do your homework. Maybe part of my homework will be to be hangin' at Dalaiwood more often! Dubs on Tuesdays still???

Comment

Originally posted by douglaselvis View Post
          Scott, you personally know the organizer of this event so you are "In the know" which is great and makes it easy for you to do your homework. Maybe part of my homework will be to be hangin' at Dalaiwood more often! Dubs on Tuesdays still???
          yeah, I know Lowell but that doesn't mean I knew this was happening. I am trying to say that I was just as blindsided by this as anyone, but I should not have been if I would have done my homework like I normally do...shame on me.

Is it low key? Yeah, but in the states I have lived in this is kind of the norm for State Champs. Heck, Illinois States was huge, but the only place you ever found out about it was the boards at the course. This was before websites so that was it. Granted, times have changed, but some things will always just kind of stay the same. That's cool...I like old school.
          Team Discraft

Comment

Ooops, yes, doubles still on Tuesday at 6:00 pm.
            Team Discraft

Comment

Guess I was expecting a little more, Thanks for your insight Scott! See ya next Tuesday with Spencer!

Hey Kenny B. Did ya read this? I'll be bringing your Disc out on Tuesday! finally...

Comment

I do love this tournament and great pride does come with winning it. However, i do agree with some that this should be an "a" or "b" tier event........it is the wa state championships.

Maybe the winner should be the representive to go to the usdgc and maybe even have it at different courses every year. Having the tournament is traditional enough, but the main reason i can not do it this year and last was because the second day is way too long for me and my family. When i drive up to mt. Lake terrace and play two rounds and then go to the trophy ceremony afterwards........ I dont get home until after 9-10pm.

Maybe have the first day either at ft. Steilly or mt. Lake terrace and the second day at lakewood, seatac, white river. Also, and this may sound way out there, have it on the east side every 3rd or 4th year to give some of the eastern washington players a chance to get thier name on the trophy without having to travel so far every year (again, it is the wa state championships). That may give lowell a break from running it for a year.

These are just a few thoughts to think about so please dont bash me for saying them........just thought we dont have to be 100% traditional with this tournament every year.
                WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE A SPIDER BITE.

Comment

Lowell seems to be getting alot of flack lately for the lack of promoting the events that he runs, the course lay-out at Terrace, and the fact that there is not an 'actual' club but just the annual tournament to raise funds for the club...(those that play in the tourney are the 'club' members)

It seems to me that Lowell needs more support from those of us that live in the Seattle area and would like to see some of these events grow, and a strong disc golf club established. It's going to take a network of folks to get this thing going, and perhaps one or two guys to spearhead it. There are a few guys in particular who have already shown interest in being leaders in the formation of a new club, and both would get my full support.

Lowell does not own a cell phone, and I'd venture to guess that he doesn't have a computer at home...
                  I believe that Lowell needs a right-hand man to Co-TD these events... my vote would go for someone like Tim Coye, along with the backing of a strong club. I would also like to see the WA State Championships be promoted more and be a sanctioned event-- I should have volunteered last year to help promote the tourney more this year... while I'm not super handy with making flyers and such, I could've given the announcement at any tourneys that I played in and made posts on here, etc...
                  Instead I have been part of the problem, not the solution.

Lowell Shields has done alot of positive things for disc golf in this area, including the proposals, design, and installation of multiple courses.

**much of the Lowell criticisms that I mentioned have been heard in person, so I am not referring to any specific posts in this thread...
                  Last edited by Toby Puttzinski; August 22nd, 2009, 09:17 PM. Reason: afterthought ***
                  Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Heh, thanks for the confidence, Toby. I think Gordy K. is already Lowell's right hand man though (he may, in fact, be taking over the tourney.) If Lowell were interested in such a thing, I'd be happy to help out, but I think we have very different visions of what the State Championships should be. I think Colorado has what is more along the lines of what I'd like to see, check out their flyer here. A-tier event, sponsorship of a major disc retailer, Innova, Discraft, New Belgium Brewing, and Otter Box. Not to mention, camping, lodging, and a party are organized.

I haven't followed all of the talk, but I tune in here and there on our brothers and sisters to the south's discussions on their state championships, much the same as ours as far as I can tell. One of the ideas I've seen in there is along the same lines of what Dan mentioned, a traveling tourney. I think that would be cool, not once every few years though, but EVERY year. Have a rotating schedule of clubs around the state running it each year. That way you could accommodate players all over the state, and at the same time, prevent the burnout of having to commit to TDing the same event year after year.

But yes, Toby is right, Lowell HAS done a hell of a lot for disc golf through the years and he deserves much respect for that. And I also don't want to take away from his event, it truly is a fun tourney and I wouldn't discourage anyone from playing it. Obviously, I have different opinions on what I think a state championship should be, but I'd still like to see Lowell keeping this tourney alive. Maybe call it the Puget Sound Classic or something along those lines, and have a more full blown event for the State Championship.
                    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

I agree Tim...
                      If I'm not mistaken there is a meeting planned after states regarding the direction of dg in the Seattle area... does anyone know for sure if there's a tentative date set? Will it be open to all that want to attend?
                      Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

I love where this thread is going........please keep us disc golf fanatics updated on any progress about this tournament in the future. Just to play in the wa state championship is great, but to have it more exposed would be grand.
                        WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE A SPIDER BITE.

Comment

How did this secret tournament go? Good turnout? Anyone have the results?

Here's to the local dg community elevating this next year to the proper tournament it should be!

Comment

Here's a PICTURE of the person that won this year, apparently by birdying hole eighteen down the power line cut to break what would have been a tie. I haven't heard all the details but I did get out for around an hour or so on Sunday to watch and take a few photos.

Comment

the infamous Mr. Bayne?

Originally posted by ericedge View Post
                              Here's a PICTURE of the person that won this year, apparently by birdying hole eighteen down the power line cut to break what would have been a tie. I haven't heard all the details but I did get out for around an hour or so on Sunday to watch and take a few photos.

That's gotta be Kurt eh?
                              Prolly 55 years or so young and still whooping on the whippersnappers.
                              Does he still use a lunchbox for his bag?
                              Just one thing... looks like it's close to a foot fault.
                              Good job Kurt.
                              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                              - Anonymous

Comment

I ended up playing this weekend, and as expected, it was a fairly small turnout, but at the same time, a lot of fun. Nice relaxed atmosphere, lots smiles and good camaraderie. I emailed Lowell for a list of the results, hopefully I'll be able to post them up here soon. The short list of the winners were (as best I can remember):

Kurt Bayne - Open
                                Lowell Shields - Masters
                                Tuffi Dolan - Women
                                Paul Wright - Advanced
                                Kyle Baker - Intermediate
                                Samantha Campbell - Am Women

And I'm not sure, but I don't even think Kurt was using his lunchbox. See those discs in his hand in the pic? I think THAT was his bag. Yeah, think about that, all you guys who stuff your bags with as many discs as they can feasibly hold. And to rub a little more salt in the wound, I'm pretty sure this is his first tournament since last year's championship, and likely the only rounds he's thrown in months. In a word: Badass.
                                Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X