X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
    I hear a lot of people stating that there are far more non-competitive, non-PDGA, non-tournament disc golfers than there are tournament DGers. On what facts are these statements based? Or are they, as I suspect, merely opinions, based on random observations?

Lets expand on this a bit...

At what point does the person who shows up to a course with one or two discs, once or twice a year, become a full-fledged "disc golfer"?
    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

For the purposes of my query, I am willing to consider anyone playing disc golf to be a "disc golfer". I suppose a "tournament disc golfer" would be one who plays in multiple PDGA events.
      Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
      Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
      Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
      Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
      Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

I can't see why there wouldn't be more casual golfers than tournament players, go out to Pier and on a normal day there will be around 100 golfers and I don't think more than 5 or 6 will be serious players, most of them are just people who play maybe once a month just for fun. I would guess maybe like 500 tournament players in Portland and the number of casual golfers probably numbers in the high thousands rate. Obviously the guess is just based on observations but if the number of tournament golfers outnumbered non-tournament golfers I think our courses would be a whole lot emptier.
        PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
        dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

I believe that it shouldn't matter what your status is or how many of each group we have in our area we all make choices to play at whatever level we feel comfortable. I know alot of casual golfers and I'm sure the higher level players would rather they stay out of there way but as we all know we don't have a country club for the DG elite that is members only we all want this sport to grow but we at any chance bad mouth anything that doesn't live up to a standard that very few players live by on a day to day basis. I know that it is easier for most people to drag things down but a true leader will build up the small things in life and DG and if you just want to throw your plastic keep your mouth shut about what others are trying to build.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty B View Post
            I believe that it shouldn't matter what your status is or how many of each group we have in our area we all make choices to play at whatever level we feel comfortable. I know alot of casual golfers and I'm sure the higher level players would rather they stay out of there way but as we all know we don't have a country club for the DG elite that is members only we all want this sport to grow but we at any chance bad mouth anything that doesn't live up to a standard that very few players live by on a day to day basis. I know that it is easier for most people to drag things down but a true leader will build up the small things in life and DG and if you just want to throw your plastic keep your mouth shut about what others are trying to build.
            I'm not sure that anyone was really going there. Just some comments that this tournament may appeal to the more casual player and the RCO may appeal to the PDGA regulars.

Comment

I don't want it to be thought that I am poo-pooing this tourney. I think it could be run better and be educational for newer players considering a few changes:

A, I think that it would be better for newer players if actual divisions were being used rather than the pretty good-really good model. Education could start right there.

B, I think that it would be more beneficial for newer players to come out and watch the RCO than it would be to participate in this tourney. I would propose a change in weekends - even if it doesn't fall on a special date.

My opinion. And honestly, I don't care if no one agrees or likes it. Welcome to America!
              ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Sam I believe that true divisions would be more beneficial also but this being part of the Gorge days it is way casual hence the small entry and the 2 divisions lets all be friends till the end.

Comment

Oh... we carry around and throw the same stuff... so we're friends.

I really was trying to be constructive. That said, your divisions were the subject of ridicule last year and that was the major thing I heard about the tournament. Not that that should convince you to change it but you might consider "Pro" "Advanced" and "Amateur". While not official PDGA divisions, it is at least closer and is a model used by many local tournaments.

Whatever you guys decide, have fun and I am sure you will run a great event.
                  ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                  ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

With a lot of things, you can count on an "80/20 rule": 80% of the business comes from 20% of the customers. In disc golf, I suspect that 80% of the rounds are played by 20% of the players -- the same ones who enter tournaments.

So if you're putting on a tournament (or building a course), the question is, do you cater to the players responsible for the greatest number of rounds played (the elite 20%), or to the numerical majority of players? Obviously, it depends on your goal. If it's to create a pro-level course or tourney experience, you go for the elite; if it's to get more families involved and add to the fun at your local festival, you go for the other 80%. On July 12, we're seeing some of each.

And Sam, if you don't want people to think you're poo-pooing this tournament, don't say things like "Maybe hold a REAL tournament."
                    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Good Times!!

I had a great time at this event last year and recommend it to anyone wanting to have a good tournament experience. The event went smoothly, the course was great fun and the Walking Man celebration at the end was phenom!! Sorry I will be at the RCO this year but if it works out I'll be at the 3rd Annual NBT!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                        And Sam, if you don't want people to think you're poo-pooing this tournament, don't say things like "Maybe hold a REAL tournament."
                        Yeah... I could have chosen my words more carefully. Having run the RCO in the past, however, I guess I got a little defensive with the "more fun" comment. All good.
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Sam you need to take things a little less personal and I have no idea what you throw oh wait I do I saw you throw a nice roller on hole 5 at leverich on Saturday and if you don't know who you are talking to how do you know that we couldn't be friends me personaly would like to meet you and play a round who knows we might even learn something from one another. I noticed you will be at the bad monkey open maybe we could shakes hands there if you have the time

Comment

Dude (avatar)... I was really being serious. We could totally be friends. By all means... since you know who I am and I don't know who you are, come up and tell me who you are and I assure you that we will shake hands and it will be the start of a friendship. No kidding.

By the way... that was a Roc on 5 that I rolled.
                            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                              Yeah... I could have chosen my words more carefully.
                              Ditto.
                              Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Looks like I missed the drama...

As the current Trojan TD of the RCO, I say more power to ya! Good for NorthBonnie, I've been wanting to check that course out for a while now. Good for Wortman, we have plenty of players in the area that we can fill up lots of tournaments. We can all get along.

This forum rocks!
                                Last edited by Sausage Fingers; June 16th, 2009, 08:51 AM. Reason: improved information
                                Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                                Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                                Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                                Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                                Or does here stand the last remaining man
                                To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                                No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                                Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                                Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X