• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This part of the forum is DEAD

Why is that....poor poor washington
    www.soulpancake.com
    www.bahai.org
    http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

Well there is the tournament in Skyline at the ball/disc golf course there on the 20th anyone going?
    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

this thread is just about dead because the washington state series is on life support right now. it was dying very quickly right before the Aloha Sushi Classic, but a few different people got together and are trying to nurse it along this season.
      Team HOSER:dancing:
      Team OLY:cheerleader:
      Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

It's a pandemic. See Jeff Mittl and Mike Phillips for the cure.
        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          It's a pandemic. See Jeff Mittl and Mike Phillips for the cure.
          Nice post.

Very true.

Comment

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
            this thread is just about dead because the washington state series is on life support right now. it was dying very quickly right before the Aloha Sushi Classic, but a few different people got together and are trying to nurse it along this season.
            Yeah, while people had to kind of do a last minute scramble to get things going, there IS still a state series happening this year (not everyone can say that ).

You can see the standings here.
            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              You can see the standings here.

There sure are a lot of Oregon players in this Washington series.

Comment

3 of 4 ODDGA's officers live in Vancouver... it's just better down in Oregon... Even Lucky Mudd and Leverich are trying to change their address to be in Oregon...

Comment

Also you should say that 2 of the 4 WDDGA officers also live in Vancouver area! (Mike G, Scott M and I swore I thought more lived down there.. maybe it is just "hopeful!")
                  Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!
                  DDGA #202; WDDGA #37; ODDGA #47 ; PDGA #38171

Comment

The people that run tourneys or the series up here aren't on the site. It would be nice to get more WA players on the site to get more info out there. It is just better to be a golfer in oregon. That sucks being that I am up here but I am not in a position to do anything about it. I thank the people that do what they do for washington golf but it would be nice to have another place to get more info from the source not just another person putting up info for a TD. I could always move to portland!
                    Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

I'm just an old noob with disc golf, but as time goes on and I gain more experience, I would love to get more involved in events and such.

I'm actually a bit disappointed in the state of affairs for disc golf in my area. Unfortunately, there's a big side effect to a sport like this that is free, and that is money. Money makes the world go 'round and 'round and it's hard to make something move along when there's little to money flowing in to keep it moving.

I've only been playing for maybe 3 months now, but I do so love playing and can honestly say I'm addicted for sure.

I play at the Fort Steilacoom course and have not played any other course in the Puget Sound area yet, but plan to eventually. My initial impression of the Fort Steilacoom park was a bit of a shock as I've seen run down neighborhoods in the Hilltop area of Tacoma look better than the Fort Steilacoom course. I can only hope that this an isolated example of what courses are like, if not and it's more widespread, then it's a very big shame.

My first shock was the amount of litter throughout the course... I asked my friends why there were no trash cans. I was told that there used to be trash cans, but that someone or several people or different groups were vandalizing the trash cans to the point that they had to be taken out. The "Pack it in, pack it out" idea is of course a great idea, but then again, those who vandalized the trash cans are not going to heed such a thing. If they were more than willing to vandalize, what makes anyone think they'll pack their trash back out with them to the dumpster at the parking lot.

The general condition of the course itself as a course seems really bad to me also. It's hard to distinguish one lane from another, baskets missing, benches busted up and or missing, signs vandalized, painted on or missing. Though I do enjoying playing there, I feel almost as if I need to apply for Welfare to play there.

My point is, if this is what the majority of courses are like in Washington, then no wonder it's events are falling on hard times.

Add to that another ill effect I recently felt with Disc Golf at the Fort Steilacoom course. My son's friend who's been playing since he a very small child loaned his disc to his cousin back in February and his cousin lost that disc. Now the person who currently handles the losts disc for this course has some (what I think are odd) odd management styles of taking care of lost discs. He does at least put a list of what has been found, offers a number to call, but states that you may not leave a message if you do not get a hold of him. The information goes on to state (now, as it's been updated recently) that they will only hold discs for 30 days before selling them off. What is not mentioned is that if you are not a member of the club for this course, they will not call you if they have your disc, even if your name and number are clearly printed and visible on your disc. Maybe, just maybe there's something legitimate behind this, but thus far, I do not see it and feel that this just plain and simple bull shit. To further my dislike of this particular situation is that this person is rarely ever seen at the course. In my 3 months of playing, 3 or 4 days a week, I've only seen this person once. I've many other also complain about this. You can't leave a message, he won't call you and he's rarely ever at the course. This just doesn't seem to be the way to handle such things. Lastly to top off the bad experience is the elitist attitude the man had toward this young man looking for his lost disc. The man simply just talked down to him as if he were nothing, unimportant and nothing but a waste of his elite time. The crowd that was also with this man, whom I assume were all part of this regions club were also a bit rude to others around the area. Such an attitude and actions will not gain new paying members to the club for this region, also furthering the possible demise of others wanting to participate in events or anything else.

If this is also a copy of the attitude from other clubs in Washington, you have yet another reason why events and loyalty to disc golf maybe diminishing.

But as I said, I really want to get involved eventually, but the course is a bit depressing and my first contact with the local club left me with a bitter taste that will be hard to sweeten any time soon.

Before I possibly get thrashed for saying these things, I do not have any suggestions to resolve any of the situations. I'm not part of the problem nor am I part of the solution at this time. But I believe something needs to be done to try and turn such things around.

It could be also that due to my lack of experience and time in the Disc Golf community, that maybe I'm not seeing things as they are. If so, do not be too harsh on me for my current view of things. Given more time, I'll gain more experience and also maybe have a different point of view, or still see the same things, but by then maybe have some suggestions to resolve some things.

~Garrett

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett View Post
                        It could be also that due to my lack of experience and time in the Disc Golf community, that maybe I'm not seeing things as they are. If so, do not be too harsh on me for my current view of things. Given more time, I'll gain more experience and also maybe have a different point of view, or still see the same things, but by then maybe have some suggestions to resolve some things.

~Garrett
                        hi Garrett,

You are right. The way you see things is most likely the way that the public that doesnt play see's things as well. and if what you say is true then the local club is not working towards the goal that they are claiming "to grow and progress the sport of disc golf". that is a problem. alot of people at stilly are "old schoolers" and thats just how it has been. i know that there are people that are trying to change things, but at a course as old as stilly it really takes time.

the only suggestion i have is that join the club, and when elections come by again that you run for an office. i think that would be the greatest way for you to go about having a voice in getting change happening.

thanks for your post, we all need to know what fresh eyes are seeing and how things are being percieved by others.

come down to Olympia sometime and we can play a round at Yauger park.
                        Team HOSER:dancing:
                        Team OLY:cheerleader:
                        Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

the only suggestion i have is that join the club, and when elections come by again that you run for an office. i think that would be the greatest way for you to go about having a voice in getting change happening.
                          Hmmmm, soon maybe. Right now it's still a bit too early for me to get that involved.

come down to Olympia sometime and we can play a round at Yauger park.
                          I may do that some time, but still need to check out Sumner, Auburn and Fed Way. I'm still learning too, so maybe by the time I get down there, maybe I'll actually put up a good game for ya there Right now, I'm still at the stage of trying out different discs and griping, reading tutorials and such.

Thanks for the offer too, as I would like to start meeting other disc golfers other than my two boys and their friends.. I always feel like the odd one out since I'm the old fart amongst the younger fella's in the group. Even if you are one of them young whipper snappers, it'd still be good to start meeting others, so when my boys are burned out, I can still find someone else to hit the courses with. :-)

Thanks,
                          ~Garrett

Comment

Just for the record 2 of the 5 Stumptown Disc Golf board members also live in Washington. Vancouver residents love our little secret, that the best place to live in Portland, isn't really in Portland. Many of us live closer to Portland (or the Portland Airport) than most people who live in Portland! I also love the shock of those Portlanders when they come over to play in The 'Couve and they are amazed that this Washington course is closer to many of them than any Oregon course!

Comment

P.S. All you Washington Disc Golf players are welcome to come down and play at one of Washington's newest disc golf courses, Leverich Park!

Currently Oregon Players total 46 and Washington Players total 21. I would love to have a Oregon VS Washington rivalry for bragging rights at Leverich!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X