Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garret -- I can understand how you feel also, which is what happened to me about seven years ago when I "dropped" disc golf. But since meeting up with the Washington Deaf Disc Golf, I've been going crazy. Another way to feel part of the disc golf community is to be active in the up-keeping (work parties) as well socializing among some of the other dgers. It takes some time -- I've recently started up again in October of last year.
    Keep working on it and don't worry if you're a lousy player or not -- everyone has room to improve! That's how we learn and grow from our sport! Go for it!
    Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!
    DDGA #202; WDDGA #37; ODDGA #47 ; PDGA #38171

Comment

Originally posted by Wog View Post
      P.S. All you Washington Disc Golf players are welcome to come down and play at one of Washington's newest disc golf courses, Leverich Park!

Currently Oregon Players total 46 and Washington Players total 21. I wo uld love to have a Oregon VS Washington rivalry for bragging rights at Leverich!
      So can we consider this as the challenge officially being made? If so, as Vice President of Stumptown Disc Golf Club, I'll recommend at our meeting next week, that we accept the challenge and sponsor the "Clash Across the Columbia". I think I'll get the support of our President since he's the one throwing down the challenge.

Bob

Comment

I think WA, with the many greaqt courses and the many great discers, the WA scene could be just as big as the OR scene has become. I would love to see WA get more like the OR scene, so that the entire NW area will become the disc golf mecca of the world!!!!!
        All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

Another good reason to be living in the Northwest!!! I just love how we take care of our courses, of course, I know we can do more.. but think about it.. We have the beautiful trees, plants, ferns, wildlife, etc! It's amazing to be able to play disc golf up here in the Pacific Northwest! (Now, will someone please put up a new disc golf course in the Olympic Mountains?!)
          Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!
          DDGA #202; WDDGA #37; ODDGA #47 ; PDGA #38171

Comment

Ray Antoon doesn't want to run the WA series anymore, and it really shows. I have pitched in to keep track of the series points this year (and future years, until my services are no longer necessary), but someone with more cojones/organizational skills than me needs to step up and run it.

Well, keep coming to our tournaments, you silly beavers. You are welcome in WA any time, and I still enjoy competing with you, despite the jaundiced views displayed by some of your representatives.

The funny thing is, this thread bashing our series was started by some dude from Puyallup, WA. I suppose he thinks that he, by posting this stuff, is taking an active, enthusiastic role in WA disc golf. I think he needs to turn his awe-inspiring statesmanlike skills towards drafting new course proposals. I hear that's all King County needs- an uninformed, unintelligent statement followed by a smiley. They just start forklifting cash/land right to your door.
            The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Originally posted by Mystjava View Post
              Garret -- I can understand how you feel also, which is what happened to me about seven years ago when I "dropped" disc golf. But since meeting up with the Washington Deaf Disc Golf, I've been going crazy. Another way to feel part of the disc golf community is to be active in the up-keeping (work parties) as well socializing among some of the other dgers. It takes some time -- I've recently started up again in October of last year.
              Keep working on it and don't worry if you're a lousy player or not -- everyone has room to improve! That's how we learn and grow from our sport! Go for it!
              I plan for sure on going out there either by myself or with anyone else willing and cleaning up trash.

And I'm not worried about looking bad when I play. I play for fun, not for fame and fortune.

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
                The people that run tourneys or the series up here aren't on the site.
                That's a crying shame.

There are a few TD's in Oregon that stay away as well, and I could never understand it. If you are a tournament director, why would you turn away free and effective advertising?

Comment

You would also figure that using these forums would help TDs pass on ideas that have worked for them to other TDs who might be struggling with their events... It's also great for up and coming or new TDs to get ideas from either other TDs or from a wealth of players who are very active.

It's a win / win situation using forums such as this.

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett View Post
                    You would also figure that using these forums would help TDs pass on ideas that have worked for them to other TDs who might be struggling with their events... It's also great for up and coming or new TDs to get ideas from either other TDs or from a wealth of players who are very active.

It's a win / win situation using forums such as this.
                    The one thing that I see keeping people away from these forums is that they can become intensley negative. For people who are working really hard to make an event happen/put in a course/etc. it can be very discouraging and frustrating so they stay away.

Comment

Perhaps they shouldn't be so sensitive.
                      Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Originally posted by bvdisc View Post
                        The one thing that I see keeping people away from these forums is that they can become intensley negative. For people who are working really hard to make an event happen/put in a course/etc. it can be very discouraging and frustrating so they stay away.
                        I don't know, though there is negativity to be found here for sure, by and large when it comes to events and work parties and such, I've found the community to be mostly supportive. (When it comes to the "controversial topics" section, well, that's a different matter). Most of the negativity I hear in relation to disc golf are grumblings through the grapevine about somebody doing or not doing something for some purported reason.
                        Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by bvdisc View Post
                          To a point true. I've been using forums or the earlier form of forums known as your local BBS since the very early 90's(ahhhhh, the days of 9600 baud dialup modems) and in specialty places like this, there is rarely any negativity, not that the occasional bout doesn't happen, as it always will, on forums or even in person, it's going to happen when two people don't see eye to eye. It also depends greatly on those who manage the forum. If they let the place become the wild wild west, then yes, it would discourage people from being more active.

I can tell already that the users of this forum would not tolerate a forum troll and that anyone who's constantly negative would likely either snap out of it and become a part of the solution or quietly fade away.

If they are discouraged into coming to a very useful forum, then they'll be discouraged in person as well, which means they may not have what it takes to tackle events. That's not just for DG either, that's for life in general. If one can't take a little heat on a forum, then how in the world are they going to react to someone in front of them bashing their idea to their face personally.

Personally, I think a TDs only section would be a great idea on the forums where TDs can get together privately to help each other out. They already have a way to talk to players in the form of this forum which I believe is an outstanding tool for them to gauge their ideas and potential events. A private TDs only section would allow them to hone their events down even further.

Another possible reason why some may not be using this forum or any other form of online tools is plain and simple they're not computer savvy at all. Many of the old school players may not even own a computer, or if they do, it's like an Apple IIe or an 8086 with GEM on it, which means they don't have internet access and likely don't use their computers for much of anything.

Alrighty... Old man obviously rambling on here.. sorry about that. /ramblingoff

Comment

Many TDs talk by phone when they need to communicate with each other.

I tried to make a TD resource center previously but the effort was not going to be put to use.

Comment

No, "chuck" the reason i started this thread is because I was curious about why this part of the forum had no activity. But thanks for the sarcasim anyways.
                              www.soulpancake.com
                              www.bahai.org
                              http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

Comment

Well, you certainly succeeded in generating some activity in the WA Series section but...
                                I can think of a few hundred more positive (though less ironically titled) threads that could have been started in its place.

Don't worry, Scott, the Oregonians dominating the standings at the moment will be dropping off once they don't attend enough tourneys (or break a tibia).

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if Nate takes it this year though- he only needs another tournament (Lakewood this weekend) to qualify. Mike Werth could steal it from Nate if he places high in the last three, once the Ironman points are added in. I've got my money riding on the Big Dog...
                                Last edited by ChUcK; June 15th, 2009, 10:31 PM.
                                The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X