Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How will he know if he will truly dominate the MA3 division if he doesn't try it first? Surely there is someone there that will give some competition? If he crushes, he knows to play MA2 (or higher) next time. If he finishes middle of the pack, he knows he's probably in the right place.

Comment

Hmmmm, all this talk I've been hearing from Sam for what seems like forever now... and he is still playing MA1. Why not push yourself and play with the big boys in Open? By your own logic that is the only way you are going to get better.

Before you say anything about retaining Am status let me first remind you that you can opt to not take cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        If they want to get better at these things we like to attend on weekends, he should play with better players.
        I have to call BS on this. I could play every PDGA round with your newest good buddy Kenny and I still wouldn't play better rounds. Maybe after he got tired of waiting for me to throw so many times he MIGHT give me a few pointers to help my game just to help pass the time. But playing with people who are (consistently) only a few strokes better than you won't do that much for you.

Now if you play with them during casual rounds, where they would be more inclined to discuss the game with you while you play, I can see that helping a lot.
        Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
        Remain ye men of faculty complete,
        Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
        Attending to our noble bond and contract?
        Or does here stand the last remaining man
        To give a fig for rules and order yet,
        No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
        Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
        Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by jevon View Post
          Hmmmm, all this talk I've been hearing from Sam for what seems like forever now... and he is still playing MA1. Why not push yourself and play with the big boys in Open? By your own logic that is the only way you are going to get better.

Before you say anything about retaining Am status let me first remind you that you can opt to not take cash.
          BOOYAH!

Comment

This conversation reminds me of something...

Oh yeah!

ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

So, I should be playing intermediate. Fair enough. I think Scott could take me down without a problem, but, we also haven't thrown together for a while. That being said, what is intermediate (as is AM3, MA2, etc.). Just curious. This all gets so confusing (and is part of the reason I resisted signing up in the first place).

For the record, I like Jordan's division names.
              TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

I'm still a little surprised/disappointed in all the people with ~900 ratings who are signing up advanced, I haven't played in a PDGA tournament in 11 months and my ratings 902, I'm signing up INT and I hope to see some appropriate competition, just because it's a smaller tournament doesn't mean everyone has to suddenly jump up to divisions they're not truly in. Just my opinion.
                PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
                dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

This is correct and something that I would do at smaller tournaments. In fact, I have played Open at many events (Tour of Portland and other non-PDGA events) though it has admittedly been a while. Truthfully, I did get better and played better playing with people who were consistently better than me.

And Jordan, Ken Climo might not want to give you tips during your round but you would pick stuff up from him just watching how he plays the course.
                  ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                  ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Nicely played!

Comment

Mitch. If I were to play I would sign up for MA3.

Comment

OK. I said my piece. You guys have fun in the mire. I'll make sure to bring a helmet for the winner of your division.
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

I just signed Jamie and I up for this. I have to play Advanced but the astounding logic here has convinced me to sign Jamie up for Intermediate since her rating barely allows her to do so. Sorry ladies...
                          ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
                            Easy now! Don't make me go all Division Name Cop on ya! MA1, MA2, MA3 & MA4 all have ratings ranges associated with them. If your rating allows you to play in a division then everybody else should shut the F up. This ingrained BS of trying to bully people into playing above their rating is really starting to piss me off.

Maybe I should rename the divisions: MA1 could be the Bagger division, MA2 could be the DoucheBag division, MA3 could be the Playa division and MA4 could be the Studly division! Those names make about as much sense as the current ones!

Just play where your rating allows and have fun competing against those of similar skill.

Damn, I was just talking smack to a friend of mine, Doug. Didn't mean to cause an uproar. Doug's a damn fine golfer. He can play where ever he wants. Not pressuring him into anything. I would expect the same level of BS I sling at him to come right back at me. And I'm sure when he chimes in he will flip me a boat load about being old and having to take geritol.

John

Comment

So, after all of this, I am thinking about MA2 (Intermediate) for this tourney, and MA3 (Recreational) for the RCO. Its tough to know what to do without an actual rating. I am just trying to think about where I stack up (in my estimation) against other players that are already signed up. I think Troz is still a better thrower than I am, but of all the people signed up (that I know), I think I would be most closely matched with him skill-wise. However, he is signed up (on the PDGA site) in MA3 for this tourney. Did he move up to MA2? If so, that's where I will play.

For those that are continually getting bogged down in all of this I just want to throw things against people that I can compete with.

This whole discussion is the reason I held off ever signing up with the PDGA.

~Z
                              TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                I just signed Jamie and I up for this. I have to play Advanced but the astounding logic here has convinced me to sign Jamie up for Intermediate since her rating barely allows her to do so. Sorry ladies...
                                When you add in gender or age restricted divisions the whole thing gets a little murkier. But I think that Jamie would do well in the MA2 division. If there were no MM1 (colostomy bagger division for those keeping score at home) division I would play MA2 as well as my rating has NEVER been above 935.

Just check out where Gawain & I are playing in the WB Dubs this year after Yose refused to offer any Master division below Pro.

Ken Climo might not want to give you tips during your round but you would pick stuff up from him just watching how he plays the course.
                                Yeah that's really helpful to see him throw 400'+ rollers. That makes it instantly possible for ME to do the same! If only I had gotten to play with Kenny... I coulda been a contenda! Just more of the BS myth of disc golf perpetrated by those that want to take your money...
                                Last edited by Sausage Fingers; May 29th, 2009, 08:53 AM. Reason: poor grammar..again!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X