X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 usdgc

Looks like the format has changed.... again. http://www.pdga.com/usdgc-qualifying 72 open and 72 "performance based" entries. From what I read all State Qualifiers will be performance based. The Open field will be determined by best scores at National Tour stops. Mostly good changes IMO.

I think having any performance based rounds during a Pro play situation is a BAD IDEA! It was nice that they let performance based play happen last year but I like the idea of watching the best of the best try to tame Winthrop. If this continues to happen like it is, I can see the USDGC falling into a state of who cares. I sure won't watch another performance based round this year
    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
    Cleveland Brown

Comment

Half of the rounds will be performance based the other half will be stroke play. Same course, different scoring. I like the change because it sounds like there will be no "sponsor exempt" spots, tournament director exemptions, or "friends of USDGC" playing in the stroke play part of the tournament. Making all participants earning their way to the stroke play tournament with disc golf skills.

In the article it said they needed to change the format of the tournament to be sustainable. Sounds like "Performance Base Players" = $$$$. Which is true at most tournaments.
      Last edited by Mr. Anderson; February 15th, 2012, 10:51 AM. Reason: More info

Comment

I do like the no reserve spot's idea. That's a plus because who care's if you are a former champion? Not me, I want to see the best and those that deserve to be there. I still don't care for the performance based part though.
        "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
        Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
          I do like the no reserve spot's idea. That's a plus because who care's if you are a former champion? Not me, I want to see the best and those that deserve to be there. I still don't care for the performance based part though.

Half the field being performance based... That is lame, this was the one tournament with one division and one champion, it was a dream of every state level pro to qualify and play against the best in the world at the best test of a players skill set, against the other top 180 players in the world. Now cut it down to 72? I understand that with a rating in the 990s I would never win USDGC but the chance to compete in it and fight to cash in it would be a challenge I have always wanted to acheive, looks like that wont happen now. Sounds like the 70 or so top touring players will take those spots, and maybe im in the minority but as an open player, I want nothing to do with a performance based division. I want to see if my game is good enough to beat the other pro's in my division, i dont want strokes from anyone and i dont want to give strokes to anyone.

Bad move in my opinion

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
          Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X