X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMajor View Post
    One Lake Stevens fairway might have as many trees as all of Vista or Fountain hills, but lots and lots of water and ob to play with.
    Yep, not much in the way of woods in southern AZ, both Shelley Sharpe and Fountain Hills are very park like, grassy and flat with very little elevation change, big arms will rule these courses, especially with the pins in the longs.

Lotsa water on both courses, they don't encourage rollers down there.
    Bring some disposable discs, you can't go after anything in the pond at Fountain Hills, if it goes in deep, its gone.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeStevensBA View Post
      Has anyone played these courses? A couple of us are thinking about going. Looking at the courses and the reviews they seem pretty wide open. I need lots of trees in the way to compete with the big arms.
      Wind is a huge factor at these courses. The wind can get up to 30-35 mph at the fountain and that is just brutal. If you have an accurate 325+ drive with plenty of 15-30 mph wind experience, then you can compete in amatuers. You need a 375+ arm to have a chance with the Pros. Accuracy and confidence in your discs is mandatory at both courses. Nerves gets to a lot of golfers out there. Dont throw your precious discs unless there is no water around haha... But both courses are fun... You keep wanting to go back to that one hole or two... The fountain has probably the hardest opening hole for a tournament.

Comment

Fountain Hills house

I called the rental house that was used last year and this one is already booked up...I'll be searching around for another, unless someone on the forum got this locked down, in which case, I have a couple of guys who would like to get in on this.
        Victorious warriors win first then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win

Comment

Originally posted by larsonjeff View Post
          I may have to back out Found out I have an all day face to face meeting on Tuesday in Minnesota. So... only way I could go would be ~7pm flight to AZ Tuesday in time to play on Wed. Doesn't exactly match my initial plan of getting 2 days to practice before the Wed round.

Looking at possibly playing a different event (BSF.. if it's not too hard to get into.. riiiight, or perhaps Dynamic Discs Glass Blown Open)

Pretty bummed I may have to drop out
          F it. I'm gonna go. I won't get time on the courses before the tourney, but will play many mental rounds leading up to the event. Only live once!
          Breeze Huckin Master

Comment

Going to be in Scottsdale, AZ for a sales meeting Feb 9th - 12th. I plan on playing one of these courses when I am there. Played Vista Del Camino last year this time, it was a lot of fun. High and low baskets created challenging putts, water was a factor on many shots, burnt grass was great for skip shots. I had packed disks I do not normally use in order to play without fear, but I shot like crap because I was not confident in flight. I will bring disposable versions of my favorites this time to to go over the water, and assure expected flight (Trojan philosophy). I may have time over the course of these three days if you guys need me to scout something out B4 you get there on the course or nearby. Let me know and I will see if I can be useful to you while I am in Scottsdale.
            PDGA# 49616
            Stumptown# 353
            OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

I have a sweet house rented in Fountain Hills!

I have a pretty dang nice house rented for The Memorial in Fountain Hills about 4 minutes from Fountain Park. It's $250 per person for the week and I get house keys on 2/26 around 1pm and give keys back on 3/4 at 12pm. There are 7 people committed so far and I have room for 3-5 more. The house environment will be a fairly mellow one since the house is on a golf course. We are still working out whether or not we want to do communal food or everyone for themeselves. You can see the house and amenities at www.vrbo.com/389008. PM me if you're interested.
              Victorious warriors win first then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win

Comment

Originally posted by OneDarkRebel View Post
                I have a pretty dang nice house rented for The Memorial in Fountain Hills about 4 minutes from Fountain Park. It's $250 per person for the week and I get house keys on 2/26 around 1pm and give keys back on 3/4 at 12pm. There are 7 people committed so far and I have room for 3-5 more. The house environment will be a fairly mellow one since the house is on a golf course. We are still working out whether or not we want to do communal food or everyone for themeselves. You can see the house and amenities at www.vrbo.com/389008. PM me if you're interested.
                I'm in the house!! woot!
                Breeze Huckin Master

Comment

This thread got pretty quiet with less than a week to go.

All I know is that based on the current schedule, I'll be in the 7:30 AM threesome that'll lead off the tourney at VDC. Nothing but glorious open fairways stretching out as far as the eye can see.

My only goal for th first day is to NOT be in the threesome that leads off at Fountain at 7:30 on Thursday!

Comment

Jim, Pretty sure you can make that happen. Have a great round and a great event.

Originally posted by Jim J View Post
                    This thread got pretty quiet with less than a week to go.

All I know is that based on the current schedule, I'll be in the 7:30 AM threesome that'll lead off the tourney at VDC. Nothing but glorious open fairways stretching out as far as the eye can see.

My only goal for th first day is to NOT be in the threesome that leads off at Fountain at 7:30 on Thursday!
                    PDGA #25296
                    Stumptown #34

Comment

Pros

which big names are going from the NW?

NW
                      "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

MPOs from Oregon:
                        Tyler Christensen(Beaverton)
                        David Feldberg(Portland)
                        Shaun Kirk(Dayton)

MPOs from Wash.
                        Ryan De Roche(University Place)

MPOs from Idaho:
                        Sean Kapalko(Boise)

FPOs from Idaho:
                        Sarah Hokom(Caldwell)

FPOs from Oregon:
                        Melody King(Portland)
                        Zoe Andyke(Bend)

Masters from Wash:
                        Harold Hampton (Bremerton)
                        Bill Winkler (lakewood)

Grandmasters from Oregon:
                        Jim Johnson(Eugene)
                        Mike Ward(Oakland)

Grandmasters from Wash.:
                        Scott Papa(olalla)

I think that is most of the Pro field from the NW (OR,WA,ID)

Comment

Originally posted by leefou View Post
                          MPOs from Oregon:
                          Tyler Christensen(Beaverton)
                          David Feldberg(Portland)
                          Shaun Kirk(Dayton)

MPOs from Wash.
                          Ryan De Roche(University Place)

MPOs from Idaho:
                          Sean Kapalko(Boise)

FPOs from Idaho:
                          Sarah Hokom(Caldwell)

FPOs from Oregon:
                          Melody King(Portland)
                          Zoe Andyke(Bend)

Masters from Wash:
                          Harold Hampton (Bremerton)
                          Bill Winkler (lakewood)

Grandmasters from Oregon:
                          Jim Johnson(Eugene)
                          Mike Ward(Oakland)

Grandmasters from Wash.:
                          Scott Papa(olalla)

I think that is most of the Pro field from the NW (OR,WA,ID)
                          A few Advanced players going as well:

Shibley Burnett (OR)
                          Marcus Crespi (OR)
                          Jeremiah Johnson (OR)
                          Dennis Good (WA)
                          Rob Dean (WA)
                          John Johnson (WA)
                          Andi Jones (ID)
                          Jeff Larson (Formerly OR)

Advanced Masters

Crist Garcia (OR)
                          Ivan Hendricks (OR)

Advanced Grandmasters
                          George Bodiroga (WA)
                          Rick Buttle (WA)
                          Jeff Elliott (WA)
                          Matthew Geck (WA)
                          Ron Stevens (WA)

Comment

1100+ by 2

Dave Feldberg and Paul McBeth shred Vista del Camino to both earn preliminary 1100+ rounds. I believe this might be the first time two 1100 rounds were shot in the same round, and for sure on the same card!
                            PDGA #25296
                            Stumptown #34

Comment

Good luck and have fun everyone!

Here is a snapshot of the MPO leader board after day 1:

Watch live coverage from The 2012 Memorial on March 1,2,3 at: http://dgplanet.tv/

Comment

First time two 1100+ in the same round and also same card. Dave's 1115 (maybe 1114 official) will be third best of all time for any SSA course just behind Climo and Skinner tied at 1117. These top three rounds are each in different course SSA categories with Climo in the under 48 SSA range, Skinner in the 48-54 and Feldberg in the 54-60 range. Barry has the only 1100 on the nose in the 60-66 SSA range and no one has come close yet in the SSA 66+ range with Anthon on top at "only" 1088.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X