X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yoduh View Post
    Stretch before.. Think of a baseball player that throws for 15 minutes before they throw hard once. I usually hold a disc with the hammer grip and pretend to throw 20 plus times before I throw a thumber. Think 10% 15% 20% on each practice non throw. Stretch good right after you hit 70-80%, I usually stay in that range for 5-10 throws. Hurt your roatator cuff and your out a month minimum, last time I did mine it was 7 weeks of lefty golf.
    Last time I threw a too-big thumber without being fully stretched out, it was SIX MONTHS of lefty golf, and a painful recovery from the shoulder tendonitis. And to this day I have lost about 75 feet off my overhands. Take heed.
    Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
    Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
    Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
    Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
    Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Yes, go throw many thumbers! Then go see Dr. McDonald at NWOS and tell him that I sent you and thanks for sponsoring the tournament

Comment

Originally posted by ScottW View Post
        Yes, go throw many thumbers! Then go see Dr. McDonald at NWOS and tell him that I sent you and thanks for sponsoring the tournament
        Yeah, that sounds like the best plan. You know, by time the tournament rolls around, he will of had 70 plus plugs for him on this forum alone
        "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
        Cleveland Brown

Comment

What disc do you throw for thumbers? How good are you at putting? Christian and I have been playing a combined 20 plus years here. I've played 275 courses in 26 states so its not like we are trying to make this up. Been to the World championships 5 times and played 15 plus tournaments for the last 10 years.
          Ahhhh...the disc golf resume, very nice! Let's see, I'll answer in order 1)Whatever disc is appropriate for the given situation, thumber D may max out for me at 300 but I would say a more realistic average would be 250-275 2)Not very good because I don't practice very often 3) not an answer to a question but regardless - combined the 3 of us have 28+ years of playing experience. I stopped keeping track of courses played a long time ago because frankly I have better things to keep track of, but I can say not as many as you. Played zero World Championships and tourneys have been on the decline over the past few years. Also my desire to run tourney has been declining due to lack of player appreciation - all moot points, I'm just saying.

I still think there is very good conversation here and though I stated earlier that I think all 3 courses should be played there have been some very good points made to the contrary and am starting to be swayed to the other side of the fence. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out, perhaps Jack will just decide to play all 3 rounds on NorthStar Hate to see what would happen then

Comment

Those thumber questions were really for Kris C cause he said he throws all thumbers and I thought I might be able to pint him towards a better disc to throw his shoulder out with.. If your gonna go out, go with a bang! The resume is basically posted because alot of people that never get to leave their home courses and see what goes on in the world of big time disc golf could not understand why somebody would not want to play a particular course. They like them all and don't see how the percentages play out. They just know that they are fun. I still play North Star about every third time I go out because it is fun. It's just not a legit tourney course.
            Relax and enjoy your hair
            TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Scott, I've said before and I'll say it again, YOU ARE APPRECIATED!!
              TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Normally I throw a boss for all overhands, and not all my tee-shots on NS are overhands. Holes 2, 11, 13, 14, 17, and 18. I'm a RHFH so most of my overhands aren't thumbers. As for throwing a 400ft thumber, I don't think that's an issue because there is only 1 (I think) hole over 400, #8. And that fairway is open enough to throw whatever you like.
                As for my "resume", I've been playing steadily for 2 yrs, (I played for a few years about 12 years ago) and I've been to around 12 courses, and yes, I liked them all. Except Bluegrass.
                Whenever I see a matress on top of a car, I think it's a prostitute making a house call!

Comment

I suppose the Open players hate letting a one-shot guy get an advantage on a course, but that's why we play different courses. Northstar may be a pitch and putt for some people, but I've seen events lost due to poor scores on that course. I've played a bunch of courses all over the country, and some are definitely better and more challenging than others, but I love the variety as much, or more, than just playing for the challenge or the win.
                  If you want lessons on how to cater to Open Players, talk to Timmy Gill in Minnesota. That's pretty much all he wants at his events, and isn't afraid to tell you so, but this is North Idaho, and the Amateur and Age-Protected Divisions usually outnumber the Open Division, and typically the events in this area are aimed at getting as many players as possible to have a great time, whether they are Juniors or Seasoned Pros.
                  This isn't the USDGC, where every hole needs to be as challenging as possible. It's a local B tier. Let's have some fun!

Comment

Kris C, You will get more "D" out of a 150 flick or a firebird. Probably 20-40 feet. Hole 5 is an excellent overhand but you have to be able to throw 340 to get it.
                    Stimp, nobody said the juniors and the age protected guys wouldn't play all 3. We have been talking about the A pool with Open and advanced players only. Not saying the tournament is all about a win, saying that it should attempt to accurately measure a golfer. I've had some bad scores on North Star (-3ish) and usually its because I've gotten several bad kicks and/or been left 20 feet from the pin without a prayer.
                    TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Kris, hole 10 is another 325 foot hole where a thumber is super handy on a very tough birdie, unless you have a big thumb. Thats 9 overhands that are pretty easy, being somebody with a big thumber.
                      You may see golfers not shoot that well on that course that are ordinarily good golfers but does that mean that the course became fair and challenging all of the sudden? You will not see a thumber guy shoot bad on that course. Not in the Open division.
                      TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

If a course had 9 righty hyzers would it be considered a fair test of a golfer?
                        TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

@ Yodah. I appreciate the advice, I actually have a 150 Flick that I use for tailwind drives, but I don't ever throw a thumber or tommy for distance, only to get a great lie. Hole 11 is a perfect example. Instead of trying to thread through the trees or a high forehand shot that will probably skip away, I throw a thumber that lands right next to the basket. I've never tried an overhand on 5 or 10. 5 is an easy (for me anyways) forehand shot down the left side of the fairway that fades back to the bottom of the hill just to the right of the single tree in front of the basket. Hole 10 I usually forehand my buzzz right at the basket

The current debate is irrelevant to me as I will be playing INT., but IMHO, I think even for the A pool, the NS is a great test of ones upshot abilities. Being able to judge when you might get a bad kick and allowing for it, or working on landing somewhere that isn't blocked by trees.

And a course with 9 righty hyzers would be fair if it had 9 lefty hyzers as well.
                          Whenever I see a matress on top of a car, I think it's a prostitute making a house call!

Comment

Oh I C. I wouldn't practice.. It's not like you have to practice thumbers.. I don't, I just know how to cause I can throwem. They are unbulleivably simple
                            This is like telling a basketball player that running layup drills isn't worth the practice time...

Hell, they are incredibly easy (if you have been playing for years) and not everyone will need them since there are plenty of other shot options... but having the confidence to hit one from an uncomfortable position, when the win is on the line, that doesn't come from skipping the shot during practice.
                            When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

The resume is basically posted because alot of people that never get to leave their home courses and see what goes on in the world of big time disc golf could not understand why somebody would not want to play a particular course. They like them all and don't see how the percentages play out. They just know that they are fun. I still play North Star about every third time I go out because it is fun. It's just not a legit tourney course.
                              That might be one of the best points anybody has made so far and I completely agree. Hmmmm....decisions decision!

Comment

Originally posted by jshrack View Post
                                This is like telling a basketball player that running layup drills isn't worth the practice time...

Hell, they are incredibly easy (if you have been playing for years) and not everyone will need them since there are plenty of other shot options... but having the confidence to hit one from an uncomfortable position, when the win is on the line, that doesn't come from skipping the shot during practice.
                                Pressure is what people feel when they focus on whats around them. Develop a good pre shot routine and realize that you can only do your best on every shot. I have won 6 pdga playoffs lost 1. The longest was 9 holes that I roped i 460 drive at Steilly through the grove and hit a 30 footer to seal it. If I could pick my highest % to go against somebody in a playoff it would be a thumber. I can hit a mail slot from one knee at 100 feet. THEY ARE SO EASY! Unless you don' have a rotator cuff
                                TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X