2011 Farragut Open - Oct. 8th - 9th Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Jeremy, Liked your ideas on the format change up for F.O. and talked to Jack about it at league tonight. He'll definitely consider doing something and he also seemed intrigued by the idea of a shotgun start on Sun. for pool B on whatever course they are on and tee times for pool A. Here were my suggestions - remember they were only suggestions nothing definitive:

    Pool A - Open and Advanced Divisions - DBD & Wrecreator on Sat. DBD on Sunday.
    Pool B - all other divisions - Wreckreator & NorthStar on Sat. Wreckreator again on Sun. OR Wrerckreator DBD on Sat. NorthStar on Sun.

    Anyone's thoughts are welcome.

    Comment


    • #17
      Name combo

      I think Jeremy was thinking of Michael Melkers, DDS, whose wife is partners in McDonald and Melkers Dental Office in Spokane Valley, who often sponsor local events, but Michael McDonald of Post Falls is another doctor altogether.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by ScottW View Post
        Jeremy, Liked your ideas on the format change up for F.O. and talked to Jack about it at league tonight. He'll definitely consider doing something and he also seemed intrigued by the idea of a shotgun start on Sun. for pool B on whatever course they are on and tee times for pool A. Here were my suggestions - remember they were only suggestions nothing definitive:

        Pool A - Open and Advanced Divisions - DBD & Wrecreator on Sat. DBD on Sunday.
        Pool B - all other divisions - Wreckreator & NorthStar on Sat. Wreckreator again on Sun. OR Wrerckreator DBD on Sat. NorthStar on Sun.

        Anyone's thoughts are welcome.
        I totally like the idea and I am fully on board with playing DBD twice. Sounds like it's a great way to make people earn those birdies.
        "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
        Cleveland Brown

        Comment


        • #19
          ...

          I personally like the idea of the Farragut Open playing all three courses. Considering there is only one tournament being held there all year, it would utilize what each course has to offer. If the complaints are having no looks within the circle, it sounds like course maintenance instead of layout. If the complaints are distance, get better at the must birdies. There are a few holes that could stand to be changed but inventive O.B. could stand to make them more challenging. Holes like Northstars 1,6,8,17 all have unique qualities (some of which have been incorperated into DBD like H1's rock wall.)

          I personally think playing alternate locations on DBD is a bad decision because those lanes and paths haven't been broken in yet. There has been only one hole change in the past 6+ months and i feel we will fall into the same problem being used to discredit northstar.

          The shotgun start for ams and tee times for pros sounds great and would really provide an audience for that lead card.

          -the argument for the playing the best SSA rated course would only hold water if you are trying to find the best DBD player. If someone wins the title of Farragut Open Champion i would like to know they earned by conquering all three courses =)

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by benihana View Post
            I personally like the idea of the Farragut Open playing all three courses. Considering there is only one tournament being held there all year, it would utilize what each course has to offer. If the complaints are having no looks within the circle, it sounds like course maintenance instead of layout. If the complaints are distance, get better at the must birdies. There are a few holes that could stand to be changed but inventive O.B. could stand to make them more challenging. Holes like Northstars 1,6,8,17 all have unique qualities (some of which have been incorperated into DBD like H1's rock wall.)

            I personally think playing alternate locations on DBD is a bad decision because those lanes and paths haven't been broken in yet. There has been only one hole change in the past 6+ months and i feel we will fall into the same problem being used to discredit northstar.

            The shotgun start for ams and tee times for pros sounds great and would really provide an audience for that lead card.

            -the argument for the playing the best SSA rated course would only hold water if you are trying to find the best DBD player. If someone wins the title of Farragut Open Champion i would like to know they earned by conquering all three courses =)
            I like what Ben is saying about playing all three courses. I would be coming from Seattle to play there for my first time and it would be a bummer to not play all three courses there. Yes I could play them beforehand, but competition play is a little different.

            Comment


            • #21
              First, Dr. McDonald is an orthopaedic surgeon in Spokane Valley (not Post Falls and he is not a dentist), and come to find out that he made that donation out of his pocket and not throught the NWOS board of directors so as to save time and headache. So, if anyone is in need of any services from an orthopaedic surgeon hit up Dr. McDonald and thank him for supporting disc golf.

              Second, I like the discussion that we have going here regarding the format for the F.O. As I stated previously I liked Jeremy's ideas of format changes but I don't necessarily think it is the best idea - not that my idea really matters as Jack has the final say. My personal belief is that playing all 3 courses is the way to go. I don't know how you could call it the Farragut Open without using all 3 courses. I like the idea of getting some things cleaned up on NorthStar and perhaps seeing if we could coordinate some volunteers to put down string/mandos to tighten up the course a bit.

              I DO like the idea of the shotgun start for pool B on Sunday with the players in Pool A having assigned tee times. Not sure about splitting the Pro and Am divisions into different pools though.

              Comment


              • #22
                What's the point of playing at Farragut, with three full courses that all offer different challenges if we're not going to utilize them? My opinion - use all three.
                Whenever I see a matress on top of a car, I think it's a prostitute making a house call!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Christian Dietrich had this to say on the Garden City Flyers Forum - he's followed the link I provided to this website and I thought it was interesting:

                  Christian

                  can't wait

                  To add to the INWS forums chatter, I definitely support the pros NOT playing North Star, even though it's always been the Wreckreator rather than NS that gives me trouble. Two times thru AWOL and one thru the wreckreator sounds legit to me!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by ScottW View Post
                    Christian Dietrich had this to say on the Garden City Flyers Forum - he's followed the link I provided to this website and I thought it was interesting:

                    Christian

                    can't wait

                    To add to the INWS forums chatter, I definitely support the pros NOT playing North Star, even though it's always been the Wreckreator rather than NS that gives me trouble. Two times thru AWOL and one thru the wreckreator sounds legit to me!
                    I look at Northstar the same way that I look at Corbin. It can be tricky but most of the time is quite forgiving. There is only one hole on Northstar that I am happy when I par it. That would be 7 and it's only because I have an issue with the dog leg on it.

                    I also agree with the shotgun start and the tee times. Tee times would only be pro's or pro's and advanced ams?

                    I do also agree that all three courses should be played as they are what makes Farragut the best place in the Inland Northwest to play. I will be up there all week for the Farragut open and am more than willing to go lay out OB line on the days prior to the tournament. Maybe if we string OB all over Northstar, it will be just as challenging to everyone as DBD and Wreckreator.

                    I like all the discussion on this as well. It's going to be the one tournament that everyone should play. To those that don't, sucks to be you.
                    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                    Cleveland Brown

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Depending on how the grouping goes and how many holes we have I think it would be feasible to have all of Pool A start with assigned tee times with the top Men's Pro Open card going last so more players could follow them.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by benihana View Post
                        I personally like the idea of the Farragut Open playing all three courses. Considering there is only one tournament being held there all year, it would utilize what each course has to offer. If the complaints are having no looks within the circle, it sounds like course maintenance instead of layout. If the complaints are distance, get better at the must birdies. There are a few holes that could stand to be changed but inventive O.B. could stand to make them more challenging. Holes like Northstars 1,6,8,17 all have unique qualities (some of which have been incorperated into DBD like H1's rock wall.)

                        I personally think playing alternate locations on DBD is a bad decision because those lanes and paths haven't been broken in yet. There has been only one hole change in the past 6+ months and i feel we will fall into the same problem being used to discredit northstar.

                        The shotgun start for ams and tee times for pros sounds great and would really provide an audience for that lead card.

                        -the argument for the playing the best SSA rated course would only hold water if you are trying to find the best DBD player. If someone wins the title of Farragut Open Champion i would like to know they earned by conquering all three courses =)
                        North Star allows for alot of luck and totally gives a HUGE advantage to thumbers and over hand shots. There isn't a lot of decision making and not alot of risk reward all things that are in plethora on DBD.

                        There will be much more work put in by me and the Justin (park guy) on the DBD. Hole 1 will have a long pin about 50 feet deep and slightly to the right. Hole 4 will be about 90 ft deeper. Hole 6 will have an alt deep and to the right and it will be a par 5. Hole 8 will have a long tee. Hole 10 will have a pin deep and right. Peaceful Prairie hole 12's alt will not be used but there will be another fairway cut and it will be a true par four. Hole 18 will have a pin 40 feet right. The alt course is the true Dubble Black and the first course would be known as Single Black. Look for SSA of about 60.

                        I'm not a fan of courses where you can throw almost the exact same throw as the guy that shot -10 and you score a -5. Luck isn't golf in my opinion.
                        Tee times would be sweet in that it would act as sort of a final 9. When the Ams are done golfing they could make their way over to watch the finishing holes if the felt like it. Having the Open players finish last would also allow the Tournament directors time to get all the scores finalized and the series organizers time to do all the am series points.

                        As far as the ams playing order of courses I would think that if the open men play SBD-Wreck-DBD Ams would play North-SBD-Wreck
                        Relax and enjoy your hair
                        TNT Yardworks.com

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Adv Am should be in the same pool as Open they are the next up and coming guys

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by organic View Post
                            Adv Am should be in the same pool as Open they are the next up and coming guys
                            agreed! Unless for some reason their is lopsided registration..
                            Relax and enjoy your hair
                            TNT Yardworks.com

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Im sorry for the confusion of saying splitting ams and pros when im really meaning a division between intermediate ams playing NS,DBD sunday Wreck(shotgun) and advanced ams/ Pros would play Wreck, NS, sunday DBD tee times.

                              Im heading up to Farragut Sunday for league and hope to capture some Northstar pics that might convince a few of you.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                North Star could be a decent course with a lot of work. I like the comparrison of North Star to Corbin. It's a little tricky but not a professional course by any means. I ran 2 PDGA events at Corbin Park the 2nd and 3rd year of the INWS and even though I had more cash added than most other events I could only get 11 and 12 Open players to come. Most events were drawing at least 20. These types of courses just don't measure true golf skill. There are way to many greens that leave no putts on the North Star. The lack of decisions to be made on the course make it really easy.
                                Relax and enjoy your hair
                                TNT Yardworks.com

                                Comment

                                Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X