Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USDGC going to every other year

For immediate release:

August 25, 2010

This year marks the 12th anniversary of the United States Disc Golf Championship (USDGC). Since its inception in 1999, the USDGC has grown into one of disc golf’s premier championship events. Innova Disc Golf, in association with the event’s many volunteers, sponsors, USDGC Partners, Winthrop University, and the Professional Disc Golf Association, is extremely proud to have been such an integral part of our game’s history.
    Innova considers it a privilege to be in a leadership position. We have seen disc golf, and our business, grow and change tremendously over nearly three decades. The disc golf market is continually expanding and Innova is more committed than ever to improving our service to this incredibly diverse community of players.

In recognition of the growth of disc golf around the globe, we have decided to move the USDGC to a biennial schedule. Effective immediately, the USDGC will alternate years with Europe’s major event – The European Open. The USDGC will be held in even numbered years and the European Open in odd numbered years. This will enable better global promotion of professional disc golf, as well as afford us an opportunity to serve another important segment of the disc golf population.

Amateur and recreational golfers represent the fastest growing portion of the disc golf community. With these players in mind, a new event will visit the famous grounds at Winthrop University in 2011. Details will be forthcoming, but two of the guiding principles will be: Amateurism and Fun Competition in a Professional Setting at Winthrop. Despite these changes our mission remains the same; to live disc golf and to enable others to discover such a wonderful lifetime sport.

We are excited about the future of disc golf, more so than ever before. Opportunity for the game’s advancement abounds. We are confident that this new schedule will allow the USDGC to sustain its tradition of excellence, while building an even better fan base for the game’s elite.

One thing you can count on this fall is that Innova and the USDGC family are steadily preparing for our greatest tournament experience to date. We look forward to October, and to seeing you here.

Warmest regards,

Innova Disc Golf

Interesting, didn't see that coming. I'm curious to see what's in store, but so far I applaud Innova for going in a new direction.
    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Not sure I wanted to see our games best and most prestigious tourney take a year off. Maybe they ball golf should follow Innova's lead..
      Relax and enjoy your hair
      TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

I'll reserve judgment until I see the final product, but it COULD make the event even better. I agree that the USDGC is the most prestigious event, but it seems like anyone who's played in the Japan Open considers that the best tourney, which of course happens biannually. Having the USDGC go every other year could make it more prestigious by making it that much more exclusive. For instance, do you think the World Cup would carry the same weight if it happened on a yearly basis?

One point I've seen raised elsewhere that I think is a fair concern--how will qualifying for the USDGC work now?

Comment

I think this is a very bad idea.

I've had bad ideas, and this seems like one of them.

Why does the PDGA want to slow down the momentum.

When you're on a roll, you don't get up and leave the table.

I hope it all works out for the best, but I think this is absolutley ridiculous.

Competitive disc golf in the United States is not suffering from a lack of growth. Why on earth would we slow it down ourselves?

Players look forward to the USDGC like nothing else in the sport.

Maybe the NFL should have slowed down the Superbowl in the early 80's to make room for Canadian and European football (US style football). Dumb.

Mike Rideout
          WA ST Approved PDGA Schedule

4DiscGolf - a tournament directors best friend!!!

Tournament Directors - register your event HERE

Comment

Good points Mike, though from what I gather, it's Innova's decision, not the PDGA's.

Edit: Though depending on who you talk to, that's one and the same.
            Last edited by Tim; September 1st, 2010, 08:23 AM. Reason: added thought

Comment

I see it saying that Innova is playing a leadership role because of it's level of involvment, but there are others listed there as well, including the PDGA.

Maybe I should take all my efforts and focus them on Innova now instead of the PDGA. In the grand scheme of things, they are both very small.

I would rather support the PDGA because it should be staying, somewhat, neutral and just provide proffessional tournaments with stats and regulations. Instead, now it seems we are catering to the manufacturer.

As a player that supports the PDGA, and continues to support the PDGA, I don't want to see the PDGA make decisions based on a disc manufacturers bottom line.

This is the USDGC, our most premier event. I didn't realize we thought so little of it to just allow a disc manufaturer to make all the decisions regaurding its fate. If Innova pulled out, we could replace them.

Mike Rideout

Is Innova worried about the disc manufacturers coming out of Europe?

Comment

Well, not to open up a whole other can of worms, but the rumors were that it was Innova that applied the pressure for the PDGA to tweak the disc specifications to make some of the wackier Quest discs illegal.

Anyway, I wouldn't say Innova is worried about European disc manufacturers, rather, they're seeing a market developing. I believe their Discmania subdivision has been doing pretty well, as well as Lat 64.

I know the USDGC has traditionally been the brass ring pro players reach for, but really, I think it's off the radar for most of the disc golfing world (I'd rather spend my time and money on a discing road trip than go to the USDGC any day). I do think there should be some sort of "dangling carrot" for the pros though, and I don't think the European Championships will cut it...it's just too far for most US players.

Also pointed out elsewhere, I think the Vibram Open is making strong moves to become the premier event in disc golf.

Comment

I do feel that those that own the event should be able to make the changes they want.

I think the "dangling carrot" is important and I hope the PDGA supports "dangling carrots" in the United States because I also feel that a bunch of our pros arn't going to make the trip to Europe.

I think there are a couple of events out there that will jockey for the position and I support this kind of growth. Maybe the USDGC has run its course and is now going to start slipping away... I hope not.

Comment

As far as I know, this event has the largest first place prize of $15,000. If taking a year between is to raise funds and advertise an even larger payout, its the right move.
                    A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

One other aspect to consider here is the huge requirement for volunteer help at an event of this size. To keep calling upon volunteers at the same location year after year has got to be a really difficult undertaking. I wonder if they ever considered alternating years for the USDGC. One year on the East Coast, and the next year on the West Coast.
                      "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

The payout isn't always $15,000 but it is always the largest.

They have considered alternating years with the USDGC but instead of what you are bringing up Jeff, they are alternating between the US/Europe and Pro/Am.

Rock Hill will have a huge event each year, they are just alternating between pro and am each year. Silly in my opinion. I like the idea of both pro and am, but not at the sacrafice of what has already been developed.

The big professional event will happen each year, they are just alternating between the US and Europe. Silly in my opinion. I like the idea of both the US and Europe having huge events like this, but not at the sacrafice of what has already been developed.

In any case, it is the choice of those that own the event. I am not one of those people and the PDGA has nothing to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                          One other aspect to consider here is the huge requirement for volunteer help at an event of this size. To keep calling upon volunteers at the same location year after year has got to be a really difficult undertaking. I wonder if they ever considered alternating years for the USDGC. One year on the East Coast, and the next year on the West Coast.
                          That's not a bad idea. I, for one, would like to see a different venue for the USDGC. I know a lot of players list Winthrop Gold as one of their favorite courses, but having "disc golf's premiere event" at a course where parking lots, baseball fields and chain link fences are in play (not to mention, all the yellow ropes) just screams "hayseed" to rest of the world.

Comment

Have you tried contacting Harold and/or Innova about this? I also think it would be a fine idea as long as they weren't worried about whatever event they are going to be running in Europe and at Winthrop as competition.

Comment

Unless Innova builds another branch near a suitable venue, no other venue besides maybe near Discraft would have the potential paid staff to support the event in the same way. There are very few if any other places with immaculately kept grounds and an HQ building like Winthrop. No other place really has all of the key elements in place to host it like Winthrop. The Japan Open is the same way.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X