X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smobro View Post
    Because you are even willing to ask that question means you will never be able to comprehend the incredible radness of this event. Unless you go you just won't know. This is not an issue of price it is an issue of being a part of something awesome!
    Been there before you, and was not impressed! Just wanted to know how other people felt that went.

By the way I would like you to describe this "incredible radness" that you speak of. What is so amazing about the event that has you captivated?
    PDGA #25296
    Stumptown #34

Comment

Because you are even willing to ask that question means you will never be able to comprehend the incredible radness of this event. Unless you go you just won't know. This is not an issue of price it is an issue of being a part of something awesome!
      Mike HAS been there, so he's well aware of how the event goes down. I agree that the event is fun and it is really awesome to play in shorts and a tee shirt in March, but the Memorial is a FAR CRY from being one of the better run events I have attended.

With that said... I would still not try to dissuade anyone from attending. It is definitely a FUN event. The Fountain is a blast to play.
      "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
        Been there before you, and was not impressed! Just wanted to know how other people felt that went.

By the way I would like you to describe this "incredible radness" that you speak of. What is so amazing about the event that has you captivated?
        i also have been not in a few years, but i also was not all that impressed.

GC in Vegas i have not been to and i would love to make it there at least 1 time.....
        "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
          Mike HAS been there, so he's well aware of how the event goes down. I agree that the event is fun and it is really awesome to play in shorts and a tee shirt in March, but the Memorial is a FAR CRY from being one of the better run events I have attended.

With that said... I would still not try to dissuade anyone from attending. It is definitely a FUN event. The Fountain is a blast to play.

Our experience the last two years has been awesome. not a single, solitary glitch at any point with the way the tournament was set up, run or the cost.

Perhaps there has been a change in the way it is run since you last played it?
          Training to be a bagger

Comment

heh, maybe it's time I chimed in... I attended the memorial, masters cup - both weekends, BSF, St Patrick's classic and a few others last year.. but point is, i went to 3 NT's... The memorial was by far the most fun. The sleeping in a luxurious hotel with nice pool and spa less than 200 feet from tee 5 at vista and Duke's bar and grill being right next to holes 6-8 made it real cozy and a blast. Having the hotel and Duke's and spinners on the green all right there makes for a much more advanced social environment than the other tournaments could provide. The weather was nice yes, but not a top 5 factor in me being convinced to return for my 2nd year, I even convinced a few more Deaf to go this year so even more fun for us this year heh... Now I know Flash is crying right now because I said the Memorial was better than BSF heh. Granted BSF has the harder and more diverse courses but the courses for the Memorial are still alot of fun and makes me want to beat it! As for Duke's, that was just fun after rounds every day! As for the playing expirence, no complaints at all... Warming up was good too since there were nets and practice baskets at each course plus the fields next to vista were great for actually throwing around.

As for the Gentleman's Classic in Vegas, never gone, had one guy go to both GC and Memorial this year and he said Memorial for sure... And plus sunset dg course kinda sucks, flat and windy, whoot whoot... pfltt yuck...

Forgot to answer Flash's original question... yes the $75 AM entry fee is definitely worth it, the players pack last year had a polyester shirt, pint glass, free beer coupon, memorial wristband, 3 discs, fullcolor frisbee, stickers, coupons, chapstick, and a few other things, in a embroderied memorial bag, easily worth $75+.... Costs money to reserve two popular parks in beautiful arizona... and it's the socializing that makes it worth that much more... One definite comparison, at the memorial we were able to hang at Dukes till 10-11pm easily eating dinner between 7-10pm and then walk to bed, without anyone risking DUI. While at BSF, after the tournament on sunday, we went looking for a place to eat around 9PM and OMG, we had to go everywhere, but lucky for us, had some mexicans from the bar in Estacada guide us to this nice romantic mexican resturant hiding behind the subway in Estacada which was excellent food, but took us a good 30-45 minutes of driving around for a place to eat... then had to drive back to Milo... bah... maybe BSF will have on site food and drink next year? heh.. PM me flash for ideas
            Last edited by snap7times; November 4th, 2009, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Don't they only payout the top 10% of AMs? People with money to throw away are funny...
              Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
              Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Darr View Post
                Don't they only payout the top 10% of AMs? People with money to throw away are funny...
                Ain't it the damndest thing what people are willing to spend their hard earned money on? isn't it 4:20 somewhere?
                Training to be a bagger

Comment

They clearly say that the players packs are stuffed with stuff valued over the entry fee on the forms right now, so it's not like you arrive and say omg what a lousy payout pffllttt... The average Disc Golfer spends at least $100 on alcohol and drugs per month I would think, so $75 to play and get all my money back in merchandise, way cool...

Comment

Ain't it the damndest thing what people are willing to spend their hard earned money on? isn't it 4:20 somewhere?
                    Some of us are lucky enough to for free. Don't be butthurt...
                    Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

Ain't it the damndest thing what people are willing to spend their hard earned money on?
                      http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...&highlight=hat
                      You rest your case
                      Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

That pimp is SEXY
                        Training to be a bagger

Comment

You forgot these Dawg. Pimpin is livin
                          Training to be a bagger

Comment

Don't they only payout the top 100% of AMs? People with money to throw away are fun...
                            Fixed it
                            Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude, 1998.

Comment

Wow, things can go to caddyshack pretty quick around here...

Is anyone planning on going that would like to share a room?

Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                                heh, maybe it's time I chimed in... I attended the memorial, masters cup - both weekends, BSF, St Patrick's classic and a few others last year.. but point is, i went to 3 NT's... The memorial was by far the most fun. The sleeping in a luxurious hotel with nice pool and spa less than 200 feet from tee 5 at vista and Duke's bar and grill being right next to holes 6-8 made it real cozy and a blast. Having the hotel and Duke's and spinners on the green all right there makes for a much more advanced social environment than the other tournaments could provide. The weather was nice yes, but not a top 5 factor in me being convinced to return for my 2nd year, I even convinced a few more Deaf to go this year so even more fun for us this year heh... Now I know Flash is crying right now because I said the Memorial was better than BSF heh. Granted BSF has the harder and more diverse courses but the courses for the Memorial are still alot of fun and makes me want to beat it! As for Duke's, that was just fun after rounds every day! As for the playing expirence, no complaints at all... Warming up was good too since there were nets and practice baskets at each course plus the fields next to vista were great for actually throwing around.

As for the Gentleman's Classic in Vegas, never gone, had one guy go to both GC and Memorial this year and he said Memorial for sure... And plus sunset dg course kinda sucks, flat and windy, whoot whoot... pfltt yuck...

Forgot to answer Flash's original question... yes the $75 AM entry fee is definitely worth it, the players pack last year had a polyester shirt, pint glass, free beer coupon, memorial wristband, 3 discs, fullcolor frisbee, stickers, coupons, chapstick, and a few other things, in a embroderied memorial bag, easily worth $75+.... Costs money to reserve two popular parks in beautiful arizona... and it's the socializing that makes it worth that much more... One definite comparison, at the memorial we were able to hang at Dukes till 10-11pm easily eating dinner between 7-10pm and then walk to bed, without anyone risking DUI. While at BSF, after the tournament on sunday, we went looking for a place to eat around 9PM and OMG, we had to go everywhere, but lucky for us, had some mexicans from the bar in Estacada guide us to this nice romantic mexican resturant hiding behind the subway in Estacada which was excellent food, but took us a good 30-45 minutes of driving around for a place to eat... then had to drive back to Milo... bah... maybe BSF will have on site food and drink next year? heh.. PM me flash for ideas
                                Snap when are you going to learn....I don't care if someone likes the memorial more than the BSF I just asked them to express how it was better. Also the ADGC does not reserve the parks for the event that is why there is always a conflict on one day or the other at one of the parks. Every year I have talked to someone that went there was usually a conflict at fountains due to multi-users and usually a conflict at vista for the Am's the day they play there. Sure they may have the course reserved but not the park. Also the parks are in the city in AZ so its a hotel experience, the BSF is in the Sticks and its a camping experience. So next time bring your food, cook it on the grill.. that's what you do in the sticks!!

From what you wrote it sounds like its a great vacation place to visit and play golf but what was great about the event. Players packs are surely part of the event but how much of the stuff in the bag would you have purchased if they gave you scrip and let you pick stuff out?

So from what I am gleaning from your post is, payout not important, weather not important, socializing important, food convenience important, massive stuff in players pack important.

consider this a fact finding mission!
                                Last edited by Flash; November 11th, 2009, 10:36 AM. Reason: Mis-use of the word script, changed to scrip..See MattB's post following
                                PDGA #25296
                                Stumptown #34

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X