Discology Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Discology

    Disc Domination presents:

    Discology
    Triples/Skills Disc Golf Tournament
    Standard (best disc) and Skill Shot (best disc) Mixed round.
    Teams of 3 by Division
    TD: Phillip Kurtz

    AMATEUR Division $54 per team ($18 per player)
    ADVANCE Division: $63 per team ($21 per player)
    OPEN Division: $75 per team ($25 per player)

    Timber Disc Golf Course
    Estacada, Or.

    Saturday, September 8, 2012

    Check-in from 9:00am to 9:50am.
    Play Starts at 10:00

    There will be a Discology event disc per player.
    CE Disc dollar throw. (new/unthrown CE Firebird)
    Lots of CTP’s

    NO lunch provided but,
    “SAUSAGE GUY” will be onsite.
    Get your ride to Timber with DiscVanGo.
    Pre-registration Strongly recommended BUT NOT REQUIRED.
    Register at Disc Golf Depot, Park Place Coffee,
    with members of Disc Domination or mail to:
    Phillip Kurtz
    31 Wauna Lake Club road, Stevenson, Washington 98648

    Team Members:
    _______________________________/ _____________________________/ _____________________________

    Team Division: (circle one) ____Amateur____Advance____Open____or Other:_________________________
    (Team Division determined by highest level player)
    (Other divisions are possible. Minimum two teams to make up a new division)

    Received by: _________________________________________ Amount: ____________ Date: ______________
    Last edited by PhilStomp; August 22nd, 2012, 08:06 PM. Reason: Added a line

  • #2
    Hey players,
    We really need you guys and gals to team up and help us out.

    Disc Domination, Disc Golf Club worked for over a year to put in the Columbia View course (long story). We did it.
    Sadly, we had to pull it back out (an even longer story). We are still under a contract with the City of Gresham to be allowed to put in another course.
    We have 90% of the Bently Baskets. We had to cut the posts. Simple fix.
    Discology is all about raising Tee pad and "posts" money for a new course.

    We did it once and we are determind to do it again and make it stick.

    I have put in about $500 in Prizes, CTPs, a new/unused CE FireBird and a keg of beer.

    I'm asking for you all to get a team of three and play a round of Disc Golf that is reallly different from the standard (although, great) disc golf tournaments.

    I plan to use Jerry's Super Bowl Sunday layout and mix together standard and skill shots for 36 holes at Timber park.

    Sausage Guy "Tim" will be there as well as DiscVanGo.
    Any Other Venders are welcome to show up! (Let me know if you can so we can "blow that horn" but show up anyway.)

    Make your team and show up. If you know me, you know that I (we) will put on a well ran Tournament. Yeah, I'm that guy who wrote a TD program for the Rockwood Winter series, Discology 2011, all Disc Domination tournaments and I help out with the North Bonneville's Amnesia Open, the DiscVanGo series at Cascade Locks "Lock Robster" and a few other fund raisers.
    We would like Pre-registration but show up because I can MAKE IT WORK.

    Help, spead the word!

    Thank you,
    Phillip Kurtz (PhilStomp)

    Comment


    • #3
      I have a team ready to play. Should be a great time!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by atlarson View Post
        I have a team ready to play. Should be a great time!
        Cool, glad to have you and your tean onboard.
        I got a keg of beer coming. Tim, "The SAUSAGE GUY" will be handling that for me.
        Donations to pay for cups , ice and smiles will be more than welcome.

        I got a CE Firebird for the CE disc throw. Take a shot for a dollar a throw for this sweet plastic.

        I put in some $$ for some prizes ( I'm letting others pick them out for me. We'll both be suprized!)

        I don't see your name on last years program so it will be nice to as a part of this "different" kind of tournament.

        Thanks again.

        Sincerely,
        Phillip Kurtz
        (PhilStomp)

        Comment


        • #5
          I had a guy (Justin) email me with some questions about our format. I thought that others might be thinking the same thing so I copied my reply and so here it is.


          Hello Justin,

          We are a small Disc Golf club called Disc Domination and we put on partial-fund raising tournaments. Our tournaments are about social events. Getting together and playing some disc. Most of our tournaments are Doubles and Triples.

          Discology is a different kind of tournament, loosely based on the Decathlon. It's about team play and skill. There may even be the need for strategies.

          Some holes are standard holes being played as a team in a best disc format. Meaning that all throw and the team selects the best disc to play from next.

          Some holes will have a skill shot element. Examples would be that all drives must be a Tomahawk, or maybe all right handed players must throw a forehand drive while all left handed players must throw a backhand. a sure bet is that there will be a hula-hoop in there somewhere. We are big fans of the ultimate Frisbee's. I think you get the idea.

          We try to run a fun event that is well ran. We want the players to have fun.

          I said partial-fund raising tournaments near the beginning what does that mean? We want to cover our cost to put on a great event but little more than that. We cover our costs and $1 per play will go to the club and the remainder is paid back out. We use the money we raise to maintain disc golf parks (mainly Vance and Rockwood so far) and to put in new parks. We worked for over a year to put in Columbia View and we did it. We sadly had to remove it do to a few bad apples and some grouchy neighbor's. We are working on a new location and we still have the baskets.

          Justin, I hope that answers your questions.

          I hope you will gather up a team and come out for a great day with all of us.

          Cheers,
          Phillip

          Comment


          • #6
            so sad

            Originally posted by PhilStomp View Post
            I had a guy (Justin) email me with some questions about our format. I thought that others might be thinking the same thing so I copied my reply and so here it is.


            Hello Justin,

            We are a small Disc Golf club called Disc Domination and we put on partial-fund raising tournaments. Our tournaments are about social events. Getting together and playing some disc. Most of our tournaments are Doubles and Triples.

            Discology is a different kind of tournament, loosely based on the Decathlon. It's about team play and skill. There may even be the need for strategies.

            Some holes are standard holes being played as a team in a best disc format. Meaning that all throw and the team selects the best disc to play from next.

            Some holes will have a skill shot element. Examples would be that all drives must be a Tomahawk, or maybe all right handed players must throw a forehand drive while all left handed players must throw a backhand. a sure bet is that there will be a hula-hoop in there somewhere. We are big fans of the ultimate Frisbee's. I think you get the idea.

            We try to run a fun event that is well ran. We want the players to have fun.

            I said partial-fund raising tournaments near the beginning what does that mean? We want to cover our cost to put on a great event but little more than that. We cover our costs and $1 per play will go to the club and the remainder is paid back out. We use the money we raise to maintain disc golf parks (mainly Vance and Rockwood so far) and to put in new parks. We worked for over a year to put in Columbia View and we did it. We sadly had to remove it do to a few bad apples and some grouchy neighbor's. We are working on a new location and we still have the baskets.

            Justin, I hope that answers your questions.

            I hope you will gather up a team and come out for a great day with all of us.

            Cheers,
            Phillip
            Hey Phillip,
            I just wanted to say how sorry I was to see the Columbia View course pulled. I thought the course was very fun and I loved to go and play rounds there and I rode roughshod over the peeps I played with to not drink while at the course...
            I can't wait to see what you have in store next for those bentley baskets. Thanks for all you do for disc golf in east county.

            Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
            Remain ye men of faculty complete,
            Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
            Attending to our noble bond and contract?
            Or does here stand the last remaining man
            To give a fig for rules and order yet,
            No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
            Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
            Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
              Hey Phillip,
              I just wanted to say how sorry I was to see the Columbia View course pulled. I thought the course was very fun and I loved to go and play rounds there and I rode roughshod over the peeps I played with to not drink while at the course...
              I can't wait to see what you have in store next for those bentley baskets. Thanks for all you do for disc golf in east county.

              Thank you.
              Glad you hear that you got to see and play Columbia View. Many other, like you, have said some really good words about what we did. We (Disc Donimation and all the players who supported Columbia View) thank you for your efforts to play it clean and keep it down-low. It's not easy to tell some players to bring down a notch so we can keep this park.

              Keep that mind-set. It's good for the game and good for people.

              Cheers,
              Phillip

              Comment


              • #8
                Rebels in the house!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DiscGolfBend View Post
                  Rebels in the house!!
                  Very cool!

                  Just another reason to show up is that we are doing a payless ace pot for a basket. We got a basket from Innova for our Discology Disc order and we are puting it up as the ace pot. Again, NO PAY IN. Don't ask me what kind of basket it is. I don't know (don't remember ).

                  We are working on what to do if a couple of aces are hit but we will come up with something and did I say NO ACE POT PAY IN?

                  See you there,
                  PhilStomp

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Phil, I know you're very busy preparing for the tourney.
                    If possible could you give us a count of how many teams are entered in each division?
                    If not I'll have to wait until Saturday morning. Thanks!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Show up anyway!

                      Hey players,

                      I have been emailing a guy named Casey (looking forward to meeting him) and he seems to have a full team now but was worried that he couldn't get that third player.
                      Last year we had single players show up and a couple of teams that one player backed out (sleeped in ). Show up any way. Just ask PDX Stu (and the few other short-handed teams) from last year how we were able to work it out. I have Cali rules set-up but you must be a team of two.

                      What am I saying? Show up, band together a team on your own or our help and throw some disc and have a great disc day.

                      Weather is looking great. Beer (a pilsner, I'm told) will be cold. A walk in the park with some friends, throwing a frisbee, how bad can that be?

                      Cheers.
                      Phillip

                      I'm so stoked to be able to play this year, it's stupid!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jeff Hemmerling View Post
                        Phil, I know you're very busy preparing for the tourney.
                        If possible could you give us a count of how many teams are entered in each division?
                        If not I'll have to wait until Saturday morning. Thanks!
                        Hey Jeff,
                        I kind of hate to put this out there because of last year. I don't have this pre-registration thing down yet (I will. Oh yes, I will (evil smiley here, if I could find one.))

                        Ok, then. I will tell you and only you. But first, last year at this time I had only three teams pre-regestered and only one paid. Very scary, if you have every TD'd but on the day of we nearly filled the course with two teams of three per hole on an 18 hole course. (North Bonneville Disc Golf course. My home course. If you haven't played it, you are missing out!)

                        Yeah, yeah. No more Tequilla for me. I go onandonandonandon......

                        17 teams, five divisions and nearly half paid at this time. Ty and Jerry are telling me of lots of players talking about coming so I;m not so stessed as last year (please come, please come, please come )

                        TMI, right?

                        See you there, Jeff

                        Cheers
                        Phil

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          This Saturday

                          Hey Phil,

                          So, is the plan to have 19-holes, one team per hole or something else?
                          Sorry if I missed the info in an earlier post.



                          Thanks

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PDX_Stu View Post
                            Hey Phil,

                            So, is the plan to have 19-holes, one team per hole or something else?
                            Sorry if I missed the info in an earlier post.



                            Thanks
                            36 holes with two rounds of 18. First half, second half kind of thing.
                            Team or Teams per hole will depend on turn-out.

                            Cheers,
                            Phil

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Phil.

                              We have an open team together for you.
                              Denny Axmacher
                              Michael Medlock
                              Stephen Sines


                              see you saturday morning

                              Comment

                              Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X