Who Else Is CURRENTLY Planning on Attending all 7 OREGON SERIES Events in 2009? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calapooia Update

We were a little bit surprised when Scott Duvaul made the announcement at the DGCA monthly meeting Tuesday night. Cris & Teresa have strong ties to both the Albany & Corvallis clubs and we wish them the best. Of course we are ever so grateful for all that they have done for disc golf in Oregon.

Discussion & planning moved forward for the Calapooia Classic. The tournament will be held as scheduled on August 8th & 9th at Bryant and Waterloo Parks as a PDGA B tier event. We will not be using Timber Linn Park this year. The courses are reserved, camping has been approved and Calapooia Brewing will again be the main sponsor and host for the awards ceremony. Iím pretty sure we can get the OK from the WDGC to have their disc inventory available as well as the DGCA inventory for amateur payouts.

I havenít talked to Mike Storrs since the news broke, but you can be assured that the WDGC is still planning to host the Willamette Open at Adair & Willamette in October.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Pittman View Post
      We were a little bit surprised when Scott Duvaul made the announcement at the DGCA monthly meeting Tuesday night. Cris & Teresa have strong ties to both the Albany & Corvallis clubs and we wish them the best. Of course we are ever so grateful for all that they have done for disc golf in Oregon.

Discussion & planning moved forward for the Calapooia Classic. The tournament will be held as scheduled on August 8th & 9th at Bryant and Waterloo Parks as a PDGA B tier event. We will not be using Timber Linn Park this year. The courses are reserved, camping has been approved and Calapooia Brewing will again be the main sponsor and host for the awards ceremony. Iím pretty sure we can get the OK from the WDGC to have their disc inventory available as well as the DGCA inventory for amateur payouts.

I havenít talked to Mike Storrs since the news broke, but you can be assured that the WDGC is still planning to host the Willamette Open at Adair & Willamette in October.

David
      Great news Dave, that puts the Calapooia rumor to rest. Calapooia IS happening! Stumptown was pretty surprised as well when we met on Tuesday. And like you we are moving forward.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Pittman View Post

David
        Attaboy Dave, and DGCA! You know I'll be there!
        No way is this gonna stop Storrs from his usual superb job, either.
        WDGC has a really great thing going with their disc inventory and sales system....perhaps they'd like to offer advice for the other clubs or just take over the scrip redemption for the ORS?

Comment

Mods...................my apologies for kinda taking this thread off in another direction. Can you move the posts concerning the change in ORS to its own thread, please?

Thanks,
          Bob

Comment

Bob, you're right. I apologize to the Oregon Series staff and to those I might have offended with my tirade. I am stunned and probably should have let this sink in more before reacting.
            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Hey Everyone,

Your concerns and disappointment is justified and I am sure if you sit back and think about it a little you will see that this impact is just change not for good or for bad it is just the evolution of Disc Golf in Oregon. Cris and Teresa have done amazing work in the development of competitive disc golf in Oregon growing the numbers significantly but they are tired and now its the clubs and players turn to step up and keep it going.

Now with most of the areas where disc golf has grown we have clubs that now can fill the gaps in. The tournaments can and will still happen, the people playing in these events will still be the disc golfers of this state and bordering states and the courses are still there. The only thing changing is the Oregon Series Machine which has worn out the Bellinger tires. So please don't get crazy and go off starting rumors and such. I have been in contact with Mike Ruzika about the series and it continuing but not under the umbrella type organization that the Oregon Series Developed but under a slightly more independent organization of TD's that agree to hold similar events and contribute to an overall series, overall payout and overall crowning of a champion.

If you really want to see this Machine keep going get involved in your local clubs and courses, help out where you can, start attending meetings. Start assisting your local TD's they always need help for all kinds of stuff, yes even 6-8 months out!

Competitive disc golf is alive and strong in Oregon! Will you see to it that it stays that way?
              PDGA #25296
              Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                Hey Everyone,

Your concerns and disappointment is justified and I am sure if you sit back and think about it a little you will see that this impact is just change not for good or for bad it is just the evolution of Disc Golf in Oregon. Cris and Teresa have done amazing work in the development of competitive disc golf in Oregon growing the numbers significantly but they are tired and now its the clubs and players turn to step up and keep it going.

Now with most of the areas where disc golf has grown we have clubs that now can fill the gaps in. The tournaments can and will still happen, the people playing in these events will still be the disc golfers of this state and bordering states and the courses are still there. The only thing changing is the Oregon Series Machine which has worn out the Bellinger tires. So please don't get crazy and go off starting rumors and such. I have been in contact with Mike Ruzika about the series and it continuing but not under the umbrella type organization that the Oregon Series Developed but under a slightly more independent organization of TD's that agree to hold similar events and contribute to an overall series, overall payout and overall crowning of a champion.

If you really want to see this Machine keep going get involved in your local clubs and courses, help out where you can, start attending meetings. Start assisting your local TD's they always need help for all kinds of stuff, yes even 6-8 months out!

Competitive disc golf is alive and strong in Oregon! Will you see to it that it stays that way?

Comment

I am not sure what is wrong with using this thread to discuss how we might collectively keep the pieces / events that have made up the Oregon Series. Since playing in all 7 is contingent there being events to play in.

Thanks Flash no one really said what was going on. Burn out is easy to understand, because it is obviously nearly a year long commitment to run the Series.

I greatly appreciate everything the Bellingers and other OR series volunteers have done over the past few years. They certainly made my job as a supporting TD to Mike S. soo much easier. Heck I still manage to play every year! I get to play so little, I would have a hard time running an event and not playing. I think it is awesome that people can help run these events for us all and sacrifice being able to play themselves.

I picked up the last issue of Disc Golf World News covering the 2007 season the other night. The PDGA Tour listing of the 50 Largest Tournaments, while the BSF was not listed it was only because of the split reporting of Pro/Am for the NT event. It was top ten in payout and was really top 10 in players along with the Willamette Open and Lava Launch. All the Oregon Series events were in the top 50. I imagine 2008 was not much different. An awesome testament to what the Oregon Series organizers and supporters have managed to do for disc golf in Oregon.

The WDGC does have a long history of maintaining inventory of discs including over 10 years of doing business with Innova which I started with the Willamette Grand Opening Tournament. I can say that the WDGC would prefer to provide the discs/scrip for the Willamette Open and we are willing to support the Calapooia Classic too. Unfortunately Calapooia is one of the events I can not attend this year. Unless I blow of my dad's wedding back East I will miss the BSF too. Our club will need to discuss to what extent we can support other TD's and clubs that do not have the means to stock discs and issue scrip.

I do want to know what the Oregon Series plans in terms of honoring scrip. I wonder if they even know the outstanding scrip issued and not redeemed.

Stay positive! There is plenty of support for disc golf in Oregon. We just need to get more players to step up and not just help out but take the lead on organizing events so the people don't get burned out being TD year after year or having to play a key role in organizing a whole series of events.

discgolfgreg

Comment

Greg and Others,

The Oregon Series Staff will be at the Great Northwest Open in April and will honor all scrip issued. It is understood that the commitment to the scrip is paramount and is also needed by Cris and Teresa to close their books for the series.

Jeff and I are going full steam and we are going to be making things for the BSF available soon that include registration and fundraiser discs. We will also be using the beaverstatefling.com website at Cris's discretion and we will update the information and such. Currently we are recruiting people to assist in the adventure and help to keep the event one of the best around. Jeff and I have the drive and dedication to see it through, no worries.

Thanks
                    PDGA #25296
                    Stumptown #34

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                    Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X