X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volunteers for 2012 Beaver State Fling, June 15th - 17th

It's that time again! We are getting ready for the biggest and baddest tournament of the year which will grace our slice of disc golf heaven: the 2012 BSF sponsored by Keen!

As everyone knows, great tournaments require the assistance of great volunteers. So this is the official shout out for volunteers. BSF wants you!

More details will follow as we get closer and things are finalized, but we do know that we will need people as spotters, traffic controllers, crowd control as well as course and Tournament Central setter uppers. This year the event will be held June 15th-17th, so add us to the calendar now.

I (along with a few other brave souls) will be coordinating volunteers for this fantastic disc golf weekend.

If you, or any other selfless and fantastic person you know, would like to volunteer, please email me at murraybeetle@gmail.com w/the following info:

Name
    Days available (Fri, Sat or Sun)
    Email address
    Phone #

I and/or others will be contacting you and scheduling you for duties in the months to come and more details on volunteer perks.

If you have have any questions feel free to contact me at the above stated email address.

Thanks for your support!

E-mail sent!

I had a great time volunteering last year!! I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to be a part of a really quality disc golf weekend.

I hope to see this thread get a lot more action (:

Today, I am wearing my volunteer shirt from last year in order to rally volunteer karma.

Comment

So can anyone fill me in on what it is really like to volunteer at the BSF? Perhaps people who have done it in the past... I missed the lottery, big time...124 on waiting list, so I know I'm not going to get to play. I would still like to experience the BSF, but it's not easy for me to get down there and I would take a day off work etc so I need to weigh the options so to speak. I would like to know, perhaps, some of the duties involved, time put in during each day, if I can golf the course at SOME point during my stay, is camping at the park guaranteed, and possibly the past "perks" examples. This is just some stuff rolling around in my head as I make the decision to volunteer...any help would be greatly appreciated and ease my decision making process Thanks!
      "When a ball dreams, it dreams it is a frisbee."

Comment

Originally posted by ski2man View Post
        So can anyone fill me in on what it is really like to volunteer at the BSF? Perhaps people who have done it in the past... I missed the lottery, big time...124 on waiting list, so I know I'm not going to get to play. I would still like to experience the BSF, but it's not easy for me to get down there and I would take a day off work etc so I need to weigh the options so to speak. I would like to know, perhaps, some of the duties involved, time put in during each day, if I can golf the course at SOME point during my stay, is camping at the park guaranteed, and possibly the past "perks" examples. This is just some stuff rolling around in my head as I make the decision to volunteer...any help would be greatly appreciated and ease my decision making process Thanks!
        I would highly recommend volunteering to anyone who has an interest in the Fling but cannot play. I have played in four, volunteered for the first time last year, and will be doing so again this year.

Duties can vary - folks will be needed as starters, spotters, in tourney central, directing traffic, giving the Jeff's back massages, etc. When you contact Murray about volunteering you can let him know your preference and they will try to accomodate as much as possible. Spotting is pretty cool because you get to watch a lot of really good golfers pass by.

You can decide how much you want to volunteer. A few hardy souls will be there all day every day throughout the weekend, many others just work a few shifts.

Camping will be plentiful. The course will be full during the day but you can generally get some holes in during the evenings. Camping is on the west course so it's pretty easy to hop right out of your tend a throw a few.

Perks - do it for the love, man! And the shirt. And the chance to meet the best golfers in the world. And the awesome volunteer party after it's all over. But mostly do it for the love.

Hope to see you there.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          I would highly recommend volunteering to anyone who has an interest in the Fling but cannot play. I have played in four, volunteered for the first time last year, and will be doing so again this year.

Duties can vary - folks will be needed as starters, spotters, in tourney central, directing traffic, giving the Jeff's back massages, etc. When you contact Murray about volunteering you can let him know your preference and they will try to accomodate as much as possible. Spotting is pretty cool because you get to watch a lot of really good golfers pass by.

You can decide how much you want to volunteer. A few hardy souls will be there all day every day throughout the weekend, many others just work a few shifts.

Camping will be plentiful. The course will be full during the day but you can generally get some holes in during the evenings. Camping is on the west course so it's pretty easy to hop right out of your tend a throw a few.

Perks - do it for the love, man! And the shirt. And the chance to meet the best golfers in the world. And the awesome volunteer party after it's all over. But mostly do it for the love.

Hope to see you there.

All you had say for perks was "shirt"

Thanks for all the info!!! Helpful for sure.

Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by ski2man View Post
            All you had say for perks was "shirt"

Thanks for all the info!!! Helpful for sure.

Anyone else?
            I flagged the island hole last year on the Friday before I played AMs. I learned a lot and got to watch every single pro come through and play. All of the other volunteers were psyched to be there. The BSF staff is super nice and it was cool to be a part of.

I was shirted, fed and beered. Got a free night of camping for each day of service so I got to hang out with world class players in the evening. This year I am again volunteering on Friday and playing on the weekend.

Basically, if you want to watch amazing golf, top pros, meet great golfers, be a part of a great community and have about a hundred people say thank you to you all day... You should volunteer... And tell your friends to volunteer as well.

Comment

Also... You get to work with Murray the Brit!

Comment

i just sent a volunteer email for Friday only since i will be playing the am rounds...

Comment

I will send an email here shortly. I will be there to volunteer for the weekend. Sounds like a good experience.

Comment

To all of you who unfortunately did not get it to the BSF and are STILL volunteering... you have our sincerest thanks and my utmost respect. I've said this before, but I simply cannot say it enough. We cannot pull off an event like this one without your support. Thank you so much.
                    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

email sent

Comment

Randy and I volunteered for 3 days last year, and 2 days the year before. We were spotters for one of the really long holes last year. The weather was fantastic, and we got to see some awesome golfers. It was really amazing to see how different people approached the hole, and how some of the top pros got out of trouble (not that us amateurs ever get into trouble!

We were relief workers the previous year, and so we got to see several different holes, which is also very interesting. I'm sure you can let them know what you'd prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by ptld2001 View Post
                          Randy and I volunteered for 3 days last year, and 2 days the year before. We were spotters for one of the really long holes last year. The weather was fantastic, and we got to see some awesome golfers. It was really amazing to see how different people approached the hole, and how some of the top pros got out of trouble (not that us amateurs ever get into trouble!

We were relief workers the previous year, and so we got to see several different holes, which is also very interesting. I'm sure you can let them know what you'd prefer.
                          You were on one of the best spotter holes last year (1w). I filled in for a little bit; it was great watching golfer after golfer struggle with the decision to lay up in front of the road or go for it and potentially pay the price.

Comment

Bi all I am getting you emails trying to get a list sorted thanks

Comment

I had a blast last year. Sign me up again. (Email sent)

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X