Master and Grandmaster divisions for the Oregon State DG Championships, Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
    Guys, with all due respect, I feel like you are completely ignoring my original concept for this tournament. I'm sorry if we don't see eye to eye on this, but my intent was to provide a very challenging course and have it played by the best Pro and Am players in the state. I wanted players who qualified to experience something like the USDGC here in Oregon.

I feel like I have accomplished that and I would like to continue to improve the event, but I'm not so sure adding more people is the answer. Today, I sat here trying to justify adding the two Masters divisions only to see that even that isn't enough to appease you guys.

As for adding another course, that is not going to happen... the event IS that course.

I hope you all understand.
    i am also one of those who was disapointed that the osdgc did not include a masters division at all and therefore did not attempt to qualify...and would have if i participated. But i would have to stand behind jeff on this as it is his vision and effort.We had a non pdga state masters tourney 2 years ago that was awesome.Last year the worlds kinda quashed it but i considered the naac championships to be the state am championships.My point is if we want a state masters and above championship..someone else should step up and throw one....i too wish us 40s and 50s could play this event against each other...but i would not wish to disrupt jeffs vision for this event with illusions of my own...... I understand jeff......by the way when are you 40?........

Comment

title misunderstanding

Jeff,
      My bad, I was under the impression that most if not all of the peeps in the state (and on these boards) considered the winner's of this gig would indeed hold the title as "State Champions".
      I personally do/did view it in that respect and that is the only reason I spoke up (again) for us geezers.
      So, my apologies hombre.
      adi-Yose
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      - Anonymous

Comment

You know what would be cool? If somebody would step up and run an Oregon Masters Championship held on the same course and the same qualification standards on the following weekend. That would be very cool.

A few years ago we did have a "state championship" tournament. It was usually held at Timber (if I recall correctly) and was announced a week or two beforehand. It was available to anyone. The person who happened to know about the tournament, and was available, who happened to shoot the best that particular day was crowned the state champion. I think what Jeff has come up with is a far superior method of finding the best golfer in the state.

This talk about running another disc golf championship in the state? No thanks, we already have one.

Comment

old school blues in B flat

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          A few years ago we did have a "state championship" tournament. It was usually held at Timber (if I recall correctly) and was announced a week or two beforehand. It was available to anyone. The person who happened to know about the tournament, and was available, who happened to shoot the best that particular day was crowned the state champion.
          Yeh I was there, found out about it the night before.
          Poking fun at Scott aside........
          Our old buddy Barton Snell used to make sure ALL interested golfers (especially us rebels down south) were made aware of this (at one time) prestigious event.
          This trip down memory lane makes me think of Roland Van Bibber.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          - Anonymous

Comment

woah, woah, woah... hold the phone!!!

am i to understand that, according to you people, i cannot call myself "the 2011 Oregon State Women's Champion"?!?

lame sauce.

what the heck am i supposed to call myself, then?

you people and your damn semantics.
            "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
            Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

can of worms

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
              woah, woah, woah... hold the phone!!!

am i to understand that, according to you people, i cannot call myself "the 2011 Oregon State Women's Champion"?!?

lame sauce.

what the heck am i supposed to call myself, then?

you people and your damn semantics.
              Emma,
              Like I stated, I viewed this gig as the top one and still consider you, Nate and the other winners "State Champs".
              Odds are we're not the only ones eh?
              Tinnyrate, my apologies for any hurt feelings I may have caused.
              Yose
              - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by dooley View Post
                We had a non pdga state masters tourney 2 years ago that was awesome.
                If Keith and I can get off our butts, we'll do it again this year!

Comment

Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
                  Emma,
                  Like I stated, I viewed this gig as the top one and still consider you, Nate and the other winners "State Champs".
                  Odds are we're not the only ones eh?
                  Tinnyrate, my apologies for any hurt feelings I may have caused.
                  Yose

... hurt feelings, pishposh. i just don't want to sound like an asshole when introducing myself... i'd hate to have to find another title for myself... that one just roles so nicely off the tongue...
                  "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                  Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hemmerling View Post
                    Yes Jeff, I wish you and Keith would get off your lazzy good for nothing asses and run another Masters Cup

Pleeeeeease

E

Comment

Yay that was fun, and I bet I could get more ladies out this time. I am down to help again.

Cindy
                      Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                      2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                      Stumptown #176
                      PDGA #37716

Comment

here here!

that event two years ago was good times and a gathering of great players, masters all. This is the way to go to crown state champions of the ol' folks contingent. Please don't institute a minimum body mass limit tho

I remember complaints from those Timber state champ events:
                        "How can you call it a state championship if the best players aren't here?"
                        "there needs to be a qualifier"
                        there will always be a [perceived] reason why an event does not "have the best in the state" represented : "my kid was sick" that weekend, "conflicts with the 12th annual Big Mouth Open"...
                        Jeff's OSDGC event gives us a known format, with time to plan attendence, and whip our games into champion shape.
                        My age aside, if I laid off the beer, putted 50x every day, weight trained and utilized 20 years experience of disc selection/shot selection/risk analysis AND played my lucky best, I'd have the chance to attend Trojan, look at the young, sharp players around me and think "I'm gonna beat these guys"
                        But likely i'll be lucky to volunteer
                        thanks to all the TDs who've run these tourneys over the years
                        "good ol' Roc, nothin' beats that!"

Comment

10x KC Teebird fpr player pack!

I do remember playing in an Or. "State" DG Championships event at Dabney.
                          Shupp ran that one and AA dyed 10x KC TBs, Vlks and Eagles with the American flag for players packs. I'm not sure what year that was.
                          Pop? You were there weren't you. Any memories?
                          - Anonymous

Comment

I do remember playing in an Or. "State" DG Championships event at Dabney.
                            Shupp ran that one and AA dyed 10x KC TBs, Vlks and Eagles with the American flag for players packs. I'm not sure what year that was.
                            Pop? You were there weren't you. Any memories?

Comment

clarification

Jeff,
                              My bad, I was under the impression that most if not all of the peeps in the state (and on these boards) considered the winner's of this gig would indeed hold the title as "State Champions".
                              I personally do/did view it in that respect and that is the only reason I spoke up (again) for us geezers.
                              So, my apologies hombre.
                              adi-Yose
                              Jeff,
                              If this is indeed "just another event", I apologize again for "killing you" with my requests.
                              I reckon the only question I still have is, was it in your original concept/intentions to crown the winners of this gig State Champs?
                              Sorry hombre but I feel there are a few of us who could use come clarity.
                              Thanks again for all you do for this awesome sport.
                              Steve
                              - Anonymous

Comment

Yose,

Once again... my intent for this event was to put together an extremely challenging course where I would crown the very best pro & am players in the state, regardless of age.

I feel like I have accomplished that and I would like to continue doing so. I have even mentioned a few times now that I am considering adding masters divisions.

However... to be quite honest, this passive aggressive pressure you are laying down here is starting to grate on me. You seem to have a desire to turn this event into something other than what I originally intended, and while even I will admit that the event may change over time, I can safely say that I do not respond well to this particular tactic of yours.

I totally understand why many people might be interested in playing this event, but I do not want to turn it into a "catch-all" tourney where anyone can simply sign up. I want people to feel like they have accomplished something by simply getting into the event... BECAUSE THEY HAVE!

Once again, my biggest issue with adding divisions is capacity. I simply cannot fit more people into the event without either adding Friday, or dropping it to a 2 round event. At this point in time, I am not willing to do either. I am sorry if you feel like I am excluding you, but I am also "excluding" all Intermediate players, all Senior GMs, All Legends, and the list goes on and on and on... I just can't fit everyone!

Hopefully you'll understand that I have tried to be as respectful as possible here,

Jeff
                                "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X