Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flatroc
    started a topic Pro only / am only ??

Pro only / am only ??

As big as this series is getting does anybody think it'll ever go to separate weekend pro/am events?
    I half way expected to see it this year.
    Imagine how big your divisions could get if this happened.

• Matt B.
    replied
    Originally posted by Magilla View Post
    The idea was simple enough that it was not necessary to have it in writing.
    Regardless, from my "discussions", I realized that it would not happen this year anyway so there was really no reason to put forth anything in writing.

My whole purpose of the "discussions" is that Growth IS needed AND will happen regardless. It was my hope that this growth would be within the "Series". It seems THAT growth will have to wait.

The Rebels will be holding PDGA events at HooDoo, Willamette Pass, Mt Bachelor, Sisters AND possibly MORE. There will be a Match Play event in Sisters as well probably 2 weekends Pro & Am. As well as the PDGA Match Play Championships which I am currently investigasting my venue of choice.

That is freakin' awesome! Looks like I'll be playing some mountain golf for sure this summer!

Leave a comment:

• proto something or other
    replied
    The Rebels will be holding PDGA events at HooDoo, Willamette Pass, Mt Bachelor, Sisters AND possibly MORE. There will be a Match Play event in Sisters as well probably 2 weekends Pro & Am. As well as the PDGA Match Play Championships which I am currently investigasting my venue of choice.

Sounds like fun. I live too far away to support those events. Good luck with the mountain golf!

Leave a comment:

• Magilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Caloch View Post
    Say it as many times as you want
    I still don't see what the problem is with the idea that you are asked to make a proposal, submit an idea, etc. when you want to propose or suggest something. It's standard practice in many realms of society: school, business, fundraising...virtually any arena in life when you are proposing changes or ideas to an institution or group and you're asked to submit a proposal ie; "put something in writing for us to read"...then that's what you do. It's not crazy or unfair or something that most people would roll their eyes at. Call me nuts, that's just the way I see it. Doesn't matter what you think the outcome will be, if you aren't even willing to write a three paragraph proposal you will not be taken seriously.

I'm not trying to bash Magilla here, I get what he's saying. i just get annoyed sometimes at how quick we are to complain, suspect shenanigans and bash the people who do the work we enjoy. And rolling eyes at being asked to simply write a proposal for the change you'd like to see strikes me as an example. no big deal.
    The idea was simple enough that it was not necessary to have it in writing.
    Regardless, from my "discussions", I realized that it would not happen this year anyway so there was really no reason to put forth anything in writing.

My whole purpose of the "discussions" is that Growth IS needed AND will happen regardless. It was my hope that this growth would be within the "Series". It seems THAT growth will have to wait.

Leave a comment:

• Matt B.
    replied
    Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
    IMO the ORS staff is/was not quite ready to take this huge transitional step.
    I really don't blame them as a change this big could be scary.
    So, still IMO I don't think it would've done any good for Mike to write up a proposal, as I feel they weren't ready.
    Actually, IMO I don't see where a proposal would be necessary.
    I think that most of the ORS staff folks if not all, know what's going on with DG growth and splitting weekends with pros and ams.
    I'll say it again Caloch, I'm not bashing your beloved ORS.
    Just trying to deal with the fast growth of this sport as some others are.
    Say it as many times as you want
    I still don't see what the problem is with the idea that you are asked to make a proposal, submit an idea, etc. when you want to propose or suggest something. It's standard practice in many realms of society: school, business, fundraising...virtually any arena in life when you are proposing changes or ideas to an institution or group and you're asked to submit a proposal ie; "put something in writing for us to read"...then that's what you do. It's not crazy or unfair or something that most people would roll their eyes at. Call me nuts, that's just the way I see it. Doesn't matter what you think the outcome will be, if you aren't even willing to write a three paragraph proposal you will not be taken seriously.

I'm not trying to bash Magilla here, I get what he's saying. i just get annoyed sometimes at how quick we are to complain, suspect shenanigans and bash the people who do the work we enjoy. And rolling eyes at being asked to simply write a proposal for the change you'd like to see strikes me as an example. no big deal.

Leave a comment:

• Magilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Todd Andrews View Post

Anyone that plays in a PDGA event will become a PDGA member.

Addition of PDGA Supporting Level Membership. Non-members who pay the $10 fee at a PDGA
    event will receive a PDGA number, PDGA mini and a rulebook. This level of membership does
    not include the calculation of points or assignment of a player rating.

Nice....The only thing Id wish for was that the PDGA track the player ratings, if only for TD's to use for divisional placement.
    Dont track points OR make rating avail to the public.

Leave a comment:

• Magilla
    replied
    What exactly makes you roll your eyes at the idea of putting your idea in some written form for others to consider? Seems pretty reasonable and standard practice to me when you are pitching an idea. Or is the brilliance of the idea just supposed to cause the envisioned reality to take flight as a golden bird of glory as it leaves your mouth?
    My "envisioned reality" was discussed with the individuals that mattered. There never was ANY reason for me to "document" my ideas as a proposal. All it would do is outline how I felt it could happen with minimal impact on the "Series" personel, ie having to travel to both events, gathering of sponsor money, etc.

As Todd states above there would have to be a DOUBLE commitment by the TD's, for it to work. In my "theory", splitting events would in NO WAY be forced upon a TD. BUT be an OPTION for those who wished do do so.

Leave a comment:

• discgolforegon
    replied
    Originally posted by Todd Andrews View Post

Addition of PDGA Supporting Level Membership. Non-members who pay the $10 fee at a PDGA
    event will receive a PDGA number, PDGA mini and a rulebook. This level of membership does

Also, as stated by Magilla, we have been considering splitting up the series into pro and am weekends. The problem is finding the TD's and volunteers to run the events and keeping the events up to the standards of the Oregon Series. The current core group of Oregon Series volunteers have neither the time nor the inclination to run another 6 or 7 events each year. There is also the problem of raising more sponsorship from the local communities. Hitting up the same businesses for additional cash for additional events may be problematic, especially in this economic environment.

The time will come and change will happen, but until a lot more people are willing to step up and volunteer on a regular basis it will not change soon. If you would like to help Oregon disc golf grow, please contact any of the dedicated volunteers below to see what you can do to help out.

Regards,

Todd Andrews
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cris Bellinger
    Teresa Bellinger
    Greg Ruhl
    Mike Phillips
    Tom Embree

Mike "Magilla" Ruzicka
    Ryan Lane
    Brandon Hill
    Scott Duvaul
    Mike Storrs
    Greg Johnson

Jeff Mittl
    Jay Townsend
    Todd,

I have made several attempts to contact parties involved about the Oregon series. DiscGolfOregon.com is willing to help with anything that you need. I have told you this in person as well.

All of my email attempts have hit dead ends, and all i can do is keep offering.

Leave a comment:

• Todd Andrews
    replied

Also, as stated by Magilla, we have been considering splitting up the series into pro and am weekends. The problem is finding the TD's and volunteers to run the events and keeping the events up to the standards of the Oregon Series. The current core group of Oregon Series volunteers have neither the time nor the inclination to run another 6 or 7 events each year. There is also the problem of raising more sponsorship from the local communities. Hitting up the same businesses for additional cash for additional events may be problematic, especially in this economic environment.

The time will come and change will happen, but until a lot more people are willing to step up and volunteer on a regular basis it will not change soon. If you would like to help Oregon disc golf grow, please contact any of the dedicated volunteers below to see what you can do to help out.

Regards,

Todd Andrews
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cris Bellinger
    Teresa Bellinger
    Greg Ruhl
    Mike Phillips
    Tom Embree

Mike "Magilla" Ruzicka
    Ryan Lane
    Brandon Hill
    Scott Duvaul
    Mike Storrs
    Greg Johnson

Jeff Mittl
    Jay Townsend

Leave a comment:

• Flatroc
    replied
    tuff transition

What exactly makes you roll your eyes at the idea of putting your idea in some written form for others to consider?
    IMO the ORS staff is/was not quite ready to take this huge transitional step.
    I really don't blame them as a change this big could be scary.
    So, still IMO I don't think it would've done any good for Mike to write up a proposal, as I feel they weren't ready.
    Actually, IMO I don't see where a proposal would be necessary.
    I think that most of the ORS staff folks if not all, know what's going on with DG growth and splitting weekends with pros and ams.
    I'll say it again Caloch, I'm not bashing your beloved ORS.
    Just trying to deal with the fast growth of this sport as some others are.

Leave a comment:

• proto something or other
    replied
    Or is the brilliance of the idea just supposed to cause the envisioned reality to take flight as a golden bird of glory as it leaves your mouth?

That... ...that was beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• Matt B.
    replied
    IMO these two statments contradict each other....

How is limiting the number of players that can play in any way "accommodating"..?

Our state has reached a point where seperation is needed.........BUT there are certain sacrifices that would need to take place for this too happen.
    1st and foremost is that the TD's..NOT the Oregon Series...have to be willing to throw 2 events instead of one.
    I "kicked" a similar proposal around and was asked to "submit" a proposal to the "Series" that outlined my "thoughts"...
    What exactly makes you roll your eyes at the idea of putting your idea in some written form for others to consider? Seems pretty reasonable and standard practice to me when you are pitching an idea. Or is the brilliance of the idea just supposed to cause the envisioned reality to take flight as a golden bird of glory as it leaves your mouth?

Leave a comment:

• essjay
    replied
    Jeez Luke why don't ya move back already! Sounds spendy

Leave a comment:

• Leftybagger
    replied
    You got me there...BUT that further proves my theory...

You can sign up as a PRO for the price of a Carton of Cigs and a Case of Beer...

Signing up as a AM is BY FAR cheaper...than Beer & Sigs

Well... Only if you live in Juneau and only for a carton and a half rack!!! I hate to think of how many years of membership I could have when paying $6.50 per pack per day!! Ok, I will quit thread jacking now!

Leave a comment:

• Magilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Leftybagger View Post
    Ah I miss those days when I could get both of those for 50-60!!! Carton of Camels here is $58. 12 pack of decent microbrew is about $20...
    You got me there...BUT that further proves my theory...

You can sign up as a PRO for the price of a Carton of Cigs and a Case of Beer...

Signing up as a AM is BY FAR cheaper...than Beer & Sigs

Leave a comment:

Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X