X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro only / am only ??

As big as this series is getting does anybody think it'll ever go to separate weekend pro/am events?
    I half way expected to see it this year.
    Imagine how big your divisions could get if this happened.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    - Anonymous

Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
    As big as this series is getting does anybody think it'll ever go to separate weekend pro/am events?
    I half way expected to see it this year.
    Imagine how big your divisions could get if this happened.
    It's nice having everyone in one place - I dislike the "flights" system on multiple courses for that reason. It does seem to be the future, though. I don't think we're there yet, but I suppose it could work for the biggest of the events - the BSF.

Comment

I think separate events would be wonderful. Not only would the fields be larger, but it would afford more tournament opportunities for some.
      Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

untill the pro fields get larger they won't do it because then the pro event would not be very large look at the entries beside the fling ams dominate registration

Comment

This would take 2x the volunteers or 2x the commitment from the current volunteers.
          Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by proto something or other View Post
            This would take 2x the volunteers or 2x the commitment from the current volunteers.
            I think this is the biggest obstacle.

Comment

I doubt ORS will go separate Pro / Am. Separate Pro Am events are not good for groups and families of mixed divisions. The Oregon Series has already done a lot to increase it s capacity with flights, bigger courses, course expansions, multiple course, multiple flights, etc. WA Series could learn a lot from OR Series about accommodating players.
              Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
              Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
              Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
              Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
              Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                I doubt ORS will go separate Pro / Am. Separate Pro Am events are not good for groups and families of mixed divisions. The Oregon Series has already done a lot to increase it s capacity with flights, bigger courses, course expansions, multiple course, multiple flights, etc.
                WA Series could learn a lot from OR Series about accommodating players.
                IMO these two statments contradict each other....

How is limiting the number of players that can play in any way "accommodating"..?

Our state has reached a point where seperation is needed.........BUT there are certain sacrifices that would need to take place for this too happen.
                1st and foremost is that the TD's..NOT the Oregon Series...have to be willing to throw 2 events instead of one.
                I "kicked" a similar proposal around and was asked to "submit" a proposal to the "Series" that outlined my "thoughts"...

After MUCH thought, I have decided NOT to pursue ANY changes to the "Series" system..BUT too go another route. And that will be to support TD's that wish to run OTHER events (NOT conflicting) of various formats to fill the need that is obviously HERE....
                The Rebels ALONE this year will have 5 PDGA sactioned events minimum.
                3 Mountain events (Willamette, HooDoo and Bachelor) an Oregon Series event AND at least 1 (Pro Only) Match Play event, possibly an AM as well.

There is also a search on state wide for a venue that can handle a State Flying Disc Championships (Overall event with Distance, MTA, Accuracy, etc)

NOW is the time for change...We just kicked the Republicans out of office.

Fill the VOID!...

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKIN JOE View Post
                  untill the pro fields get larger they won't do it because then the pro event would not be very large look at the entries beside the fling ams dominate registration
                  The PROS are out there....How many over 40 PRO players showed up at Timber for the "Masters"??

They are out there...BUT for some reason do not play more...???

Some tell me that by the time they are able to sign up a field of 135 AMs and 25 Pros have the Tourney FULL, with MULTIPLE people on the "wait list".

So if a tourney was to split...Now there is room for 25 more AMs and the possiblity for MORE pros to come back and play more.
                  Sure the Pro events will not fill...BUT more top level AMS would play up to "test the waters".
                  The "Oregon Series" with "Merch" doesnt need to even be there since NO Merch is going out to the players(NO Ams). If an AM denies cash then scrip can be easily paid out for redemption at a later date.

Growth is a Good thing...AND takes a little work.
                  The Oregon Series has now reached a player base similar to what NorCal had 10yrs ago when thay had to go thru the same changes.
                  Its a bit different with the "Oregon Series" because they are MUCH more "Hands on" than the NorCal Series is.

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
                    IMO these two statments contradict each other....

How is limiting the number of players that can play in any way "accommodating"..?
                    Did you read the entire sentence?
                    "flights, bigger courses, course expansions, multiple course, multiple flights, etc. "

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      Did you read the entire sentence?
                      "flights, bigger courses, course expansions, multiple course, multiple flights, etc. "

So I show up with my Wife & Kid at the WOX....

All 3 of us would be in a different pool with much travel between.....
                      How does this "accommodate" my family??

Disclaimer

In NO way am I trying to BASH the Oregon Series....Far too many people take offense to ANYTHING that "suggests" that things COULD be better.

The Oregon Series is GREAT for Oregon Disc Golf AND has the right to run its series ANY way they wish. The bottom line is that they have reached CAPACITY. If you are happy with that then for you.

I, as a PDGA elected offical, have a duty to support and promote the GROWTH of Disc Golf, the PDGA and its players.
                      Last edited by Magilla; January 15th, 2009, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
                        So I show up with my Wife & Kid at the WOX....

All 3 of us would be in a different pool with much travel between.....
                        How does this "accommodate" my family??
                        Yeah, it's a pain in the butt. But explain how it would work better if pros and ams played on seperate weekends (unless of course you all play Pro, or all play am).

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                          Yeah, it's a pain in the butt. But explain how it would work better if pros and ams played on seperate weekends (unless of course you all play Pro, or all play am).
                          With GROWTH there will always be some sort of change....
                          BUT there also has to be a desire to grow......

The family aspect is just an example..... Im just stating the obvious.

The facts are everywhere. Look back at all the threads about past events and the number of people who didnt get in......
                          Sure they could have entered earlier, BUT then someone else isnt playing either.
                          The demand is there. Who chooses to fill it, is the question.

Comment

no disrespect to anyone out there but isn't the whole point to share and grow the sport with people you have to field as many people as possible anybody wishing to play that is a pdga member and does not get into a pdga event doesn't seem fair especially when non pdga members are allowed to pay to play non pdga members should be the last ones able to enter a tournament and the whole point about family and no one knows more than me my family comes to every tournament i would be more than willing to sacrifice the whole point to me should be about pdga members should be able to play in a pdga tournaments and to grow the sport to the point that this doesn't matter am only tournaments would still fill up at current level that we are at we need to thank everyone that has got us to this point it's great just having this discussion it would be great to see everyone play thats wants to play qualifing tournaments first day cuts three day tournaments more vollunteers what does the worlds do lots of courses all in i just like to see no one get turned away impossible maybe again thanks to all that have helped grow the sport and to all helping to grow the sport

Comment

WA Series could learn a lot from OR Series about accommodating players.
                              ooooo, BURN! Being a Washingtoner and former series TD, even though your statement stings a bit, it does carry some truth with it. I proposed some making some changes to the series to accommodate more players and allow for more non-series events throughout the season to the powers that be, but, only a couple people responded, and none supported it. Even though WA was heavily in support of Obama, apparently not every one here is a fan of change.

I like the idea of pro/am tourneys myself. Though I think it'd be cool to have them on separate weekends, one idea is to have two 1 day tourneys on the same weekend. That'd make road tripping a lot easier for those that carpool and play in different divisions. I for one would really like the spectator aspect of it...watching the final 9 is cool and all, but I'd like to be able to see more if I could.
                              Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X