X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DG at Alton Baker, Eugene, Thursdays 7/28, 8/4. and 8/11

Come out and play Alton Baker for three Thursdays starting next week.

10AM until 8PM Free!

The city will be evaluating how well DG meshes with other park activities.

Should be a great time.

Here's a poster.

Feel free to spread the word.

Random doubles at 5, anyone?

Mods, can you make this a sticky for a few weeks? Thx.

Comment

Word is that the city has been out there mowing and will probably be out there one more time between now and Thursday.

Signage will be in by 10 AM Thursday morning. Expect grass tees (but the course is flat and the weather should stay dry).

There won't be any official event (tourney or league) while the course is open because the idea behind this whole exercise is to find out how the DGers and other park users would interact (or not) on a normal day.

(But people are still free to play skins or dubs or whatever, just like you would normally.)

The city will be collecting some data so it should be an interesting experiment.

Comment

Just dropped off a few baskets at Alton Baker.

The course is looking sweeeeet!

Mowed fairways, greens, walkouts. Already a few people playing.

Mr. Andrew Rich was out there helping the city, setting up signage, and busting his backside as usual to make this happen. I'm hoping all the karma points he's accruing will carry over to Worlds (don't think he'll use them all up this weekend).

Comment

Originally posted by Jim J View Post
          Just dropped off a few baskets at Alton Baker.

The course is looking sweeeeet!

Mowed fairways, greens, walkouts. Already a few people playing.

Mr. Andrew Rich was out there helping the city, setting up signage, and busting his backside as usual to make this happen. I'm hoping all the karma points he's accruing will carry over to Worlds (don't think he'll use them all up this weekend).
          So how did the first day go out there? I wanted to be there but I've re-injured my back just in time for Worlds, yay, and I'm trying to rehab it. Good turnout?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
            So how did the first day go out there? I wanted to be there but I've re-injured my back just in time for Worlds, yay, and I'm trying to rehab it. Good turnout?
            Amazing turnout.

They kept track of how many rounds people played and they were up to 250 when I left around 4:30.

Seems like there were lots of casual players.

All three local news stations sent crews over so I'm sure it'll be all over their websites.

There was a city employee sitting at the start of Pre's trail taking data on the runners/walkers, but I only saw a pair of walkers while I was out there.

Nice day!

Comment

This thread is overflowing with... AWESOME!

Well done!
              "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

http://www.registerguard.com/web/new...trail.html.csp

Excellent article on the DG trial days at Alton Baker! Congratulations to everyone who is making it happen.

Interesting that the Oregon Track Club representative is now saying that people have complained about being hit by discs at Westmoreland Park. She had no such comment at the last walkthrough at Alton Baker, so I see that as spinning the truth a bit. The truth is that there are amazingly few incidents and conflicts at Westmoreland given the hundreds? of thousands of rounds played there since 1988 and that almost every single hole plays at or along a busy walking, biking, jogging path or a very busy street.

Contrast that with the course at Alton Baker where the design's first priority is safety and consideration of Pre's trail users and other park visitors, and the safety argument falls apart pretty quick.

Comment

Pretty good placement of that article, too.

Letter to the editor anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim J View Post
                    Pretty good placement of that article, too.

Letter to the editor anyone?
                    Funny you should ask, I am composing one right now. More is always better, and the time is right.

Comment

The sad thing about the track club is they really dont have a clue. I was at Alton Baker most the day and with all the people and a lot of bad shots I never saw one that would have been a problem for any other person in the park. I hope the peaple from the club were there also to see it. Great day guys Cant wait til next Thursday.

Comment

2 local news broadcasts following the incredibly successful day at Alton Baker:

KVAL news

KEZI news

Comment

Nice work everybody! It seemed to go really well yesterday and if the park can handle that many players it shouldn't have any problem on a normal day. Can't wait for next Thursday!

Let's keep the positive vibs flowing and make next week just as awesome.

ps. Nice work to our own Warren Hollinshead in the interview!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X