Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A par 2 cannot exist, since par (by definition) always gives you two putts to hole out.
    Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
    Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
    Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
    Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
    Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
      A par 2 cannot exist, since par (by definition) always gives you two putts to hole out.
      Well, yes and no.. technically, the PDGA actually tried par 2 holes at the 2001-2002 Worlds, if my source is correct. The eventual verdict was that par 2 holes were not received well, resulting in the guideline that any hole that based on length (rather than intended number of drives before reaching putting range) *should* be a par 2 should instead be redesigned. So there *can* be holes that are too short and easy to be a par 3 for the intended difficulty (i.e. red, white, blue, gold), which in this respect *could* be called par 2.. but really the ultimate answer is no, there's (currently) no such thing as a par 2 hole, there's just poorly designed par 3 holes that fail to produce the desired score distribution, and thus need redesigning.

For reference, you can see from the PDGA par guidelines that par 2 holes (marked in pink) are indeed on there.. with the recommendation to not use them:

www.pdga.com/files/documents/ParGuidelines.pdf

Comment

Cool, thanks, as I said.
        Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
        Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
        Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
        Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
        Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by jeverett View Post
          Hi Dr. Zaius,

*laugh* I wasn't really suggesting the hole should be a par 2. I'm still technically at zero aces there.. *another* Buzzz shot blasted through the chains on it this weekend, though. My putting lately has been terrible, though.. so no guarantees on a 2, regardless.

The par 2 thing comes from the PDGA guidelines.. at the blue level, a flat-elevation, lightly-wooded hole under 200ft. should be redesigned (rather than being a par 2), as it likely doesn't spread out the scoring distribution enough (by design, the goal is to have fewer than 70% of (Open) players score the same on a hole). Hole 11 short is roughly 185ft., with a slight uphill and a fair amount of OB.. thus kinda borderline. But I also don't think a hole needs to be short to give that "must get" feeling. Hole 1 short, for example.. that's a hole that feels like a "must get" birdie without being so short as to produce little scoring spread.

Meh, I'm rambling.. just ignore me.. Hole 11 short is ok. I'm looking forward to the weekend!
          Sounds like a great opportunity for someone with an interest and aptitude in math (I'm looking at you jeverett) to analyze the scoring spread on the holes at CG after this tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
            Sounds like a great opportunity for someone with an interest and aptitude in math (I'm looking at you jeverett) to analyze the scoring spread on the holes at CG after this tournament.
            Hi Matt,

*laugh* If there's interest, I'd be happy to run some numbers after the event. I'd just need access to all of the scores per hole, by division.

Comment

Originally posted by jeverett View Post
              Hi Matt,

*laugh* If there's interest, I'd be happy to run some numbers after the event. I'd just need access to all of the scores per hole, by division.
              Awesome, I'm sure we can get the scorecards or copies to you afterwards. Since there is talk of redsigning some of the holes there I think it's important info to have. In fact, it's good to have these numbers for all courses and layouts.

Comment

Ninkasi Toss is Sold Out

The remaining 7 people that signed up today will be uploaded to the pdga website tonight. There will be NO wait list so if you want to play you should head out to the grove between 8 and 9 am to see if anyone does not show.

THANK YOU FOR SELLING OUT A C TIER IN THE WILLAMETTE VALLEY PEOPLE!!! (or should i say addicts)
                May the wind be in your favor...

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Zaius View Post
                  Ninkasi Toss is Sold Out

The remaining 7 people that signed up today will be uploaded to the pdga website tonight. There will be NO wait list so if you want to play you should head out to the grove between 8 and 9 am to see if anyone does not show.

THANK YOU FOR SELLING OUT A C TIER IN THE WILLAMETTE VALLEY PEOPLE!!! (or should i say addicts)

Comment

anybody from portland want to carpool??

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Zaius View Post
                      Ninkasi Toss is Sold Out

Nice!! Good work on filling this thing up. The weather should be most excellent this weekend...should make for some pretty hot rounds

Comment

Nice job on your first sanctioned tourney Wilbur! Couldn't have went much smoother; extra thanks to Ninkasi for that super tasty keg of Radiant and to all those who donated for the epic elevated ring of fire. Shout out to Ryan Yokam...super hot shootin' for your first PDGA tourney!! Representin' 97420! Now about those dang yellow bands................

Comment

Awesome, I'm sure we can get the scorecards or copies to you afterwards. Since there is talk of redsigning some of the holes there I think it's important info to have. In fact, it's good to have these numbers for all courses and layouts.
                          Hey - I forgot to see if you could get the scorecards - did you? If not, Wilbur do you still have them?

Comment

Originally posted by chainsmasher View Post
                            Nice job on your first sanctioned tourney Wilbur! Couldn't have went much smoother; extra thanks to Ninkasi for that super tasty keg of Radiant and to all those who donated for the epic elevated ring of fire. Shout out to Ryan Yokam...super hot shootin' for your first PDGA tourney!! Representin' 97420! Now about those dang yellow bands................
                            Great tournament! Thanks to Will Larson, his wife Kathy, and the other volunteers. Thanks to the EDGC and the LCC disc golf club, Tom Chrestman and the other course keepers.

One day sanctioned tournaments are great!

Comment

Awesome tourney! Thanks to everyone who made it possible.

One day sanctioned tournaments are great!

Absolutely agree! I'd be down for more of these for sure

Comment

Whoa. The smoke is clearing and my head is now deflating.

Thank you to everyone who came out, helped, played, drank, smiled, and made this event seriously amazing. I tried to explain during the morning announcements that tournaments really come down to the hard work and time put in by volunteering, and this was nothing short of a perfect example of that.

I want to shout out a few names:
                                LCC crew- Cloud Pemble, Warren Hollinshead, Daniel Rodriguez, Dallas Steely, Dan Schmidt, Who'd I forget? Ya'll stepped up and got sh*t done. Thank you. WE RAISED NEARLY $1000!!! What!?
                                EDGC Crew- Ralph, Gene, Reba, Mike Higgins, Everyone else. Couldn't have done this without you. Literally would have been impossible.
                                TOM CHRESTMAN- Your course kicks ass and looks BETTER THAN EVER RIGHT NOW! It's PIMPIN'! Thanks for all of your hard work (and congrats on finally cashing on your own course)

There are others! My wife, my friend Julie, Leland Odriscoll (donated his winnings), Yose, Mike Ward, others that donated, spotters, camera people, Ninkasi, disc golf gods...

When it was all said and done:
                                LCC: Raised nearly $1000
                                EDGC: Raised over $100 (t-shirts)
                                1 Keg: done got dranken
                                Prizes: Plenty of them and all given away
                                Aces: Devin Cordell hole 10 (He donated the cash)
                                Ass kickings: Devin Cordell (Set a tourney course record with a 44)

Congrats to all the winners:
                                Devin Cordell
                                Suzie Jones
                                Buck Smith
                                Mike Ward
                                Ryan Yokum
                                Holly Dewitt
                                Craig Neilson
                                Bob Gussford
                                Jory Mitchel

THANK YOU AND SEE YOU AGAIN SOON!!!

Wow. Ok. It's over. Beer me.