X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc Go Ball, April 9 & 10 - Bend, OR

It brings a huge smile to my face to finally announce that we are soon hosting the first ever PDGA event inside the city limits of Bend. It's been over 8 years since we first sketched the layout (been revised a handful of times) and now in one month from today, discs will fly all over the 165 acre park site at the Bend Pine Nursery. 18 of the 27 holes are expected to become a permanent layout following the event. We've been prepping the course site for the last few months with the help and support of the Bend Metro Park and Recreation District.

The course is a combination of turf and natural areas with mature ponderosa pines and old growth juniper, a large pond, elevation changes, rock outcroppings and canyon walls. This low cost event is part fundraiser and part celebration. We will compete in just one round of 27 holes each day.

The event will also include an ultimate Frisbee tournament with 16 teams (250+ players), a freestyle exhibition, distance contest, MTA, K-9 King's Dog show, putting contest, etc. There is a "carnival" themed player's party at the Century Center on Saturday night that includes food and drink (7 breweries supporting this event) with live music, $10 optional.

Let's disc go. Event details.

Fact #1) Rebel tournaments rock,
    Fact #2) Tournaments in Central Oregon are rare,
    Fact #3) Discs fly far if you know how to adjust &
    Fact #4) Beer in Central Oregon flows smoothly.

One thing I need to know is: what kind of holes are we going to play? Let's hear about this new course?? Who designed it, we play over water?

This' gonna be awesome!

Comment

I'm pretty sure it was designed by James Hatch, the legend.

Comment

sweet. Might be a good excuse to go back to bend for a weekend.
        FORE! Youth 2011 http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournam...RE_Youth_2011/

Comment

Originally posted by discVENTures View Post
          It brings a huge smile to my face to finally announce that we are soon hosting the first ever PDGA event inside the city limits of Bend. It's been over 8 years since we first sketched the layout (been revised a handful of times) and now in one month from today, discs will fly all over the 165 acre park site at the Bend Pine Nursery. 18 of the 27 holes are expected to become a permanent layout following the event. We've been prepping the course site for the last few months with the help and support of the Bend Metro Park and Recreation District.

The course is a combination of turf and natural areas with mature ponderosa pines and old growth juniper, a large pond, elevation changes, rock outcroppings and canyon walls. This low cost event is part fundraiser and part celebration. We will compete in just one round of 27 holes each day.

The event will also include an ultimate Frisbee tournament with 16 teams (250+ players), a freestyle exhibition, distance contest, MTA, K-9 King's Dog show, putting contest, etc. There is a "carnival" themed player's party at the Century Center on Saturday night that includes food and drink (7 breweries supporting this event) with live music, $10 optional.

Let's disc go. Event details.
          Come one, Come ALL....to the Disc-Go-Ball.
          And that party theme is "car-ni-Val" as in "Rio" style.

Show your support to yet another course being installed in Oregon.

Comment

sounds fantastic. i'm sure it will be a blast!
            May the wind be in your favor...

Comment

The course is a work in progress, was inVENTed by Ryan Lane, and has been improved with the help of Matt Murphy, Peter Belizi, and Tyler Davio. The park is huge and mostly wide open with some tricky greens and big winds. There are shots for everybody with holes ranging from 220' - 1220' and yes the last two holes play over the pond, if you dare. We're doing our best to make sure the temp tees (paved paths, carpet, rubber, natural) are in pristine condition for the event.

Mother Nature is ready to have her cherry popped at the Disc Go Ball. We hope you'll come help us break in the new course and enjoy the festivities.

Comment

Wow 1220ft hole, that would be a par 7 for me! See ya there. I will have the worst score but the biggest smile. any other close to the park lodging suggestions? Thanks!
                Last edited by wildrivers; March 18th, 2011, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wildrivers View Post
                  Wow 1220ft hole, that would be a par 7 for me! See ya there. I will have the worst score but the biggest smile. any other close to the park lodging suggestions? Thanks!
                  Lodging sponsor is Phoenix Inn Suites, rate is $99 for up to 4 pp, two queen beds, indoor pool & spa, includes hot breakfast, heart of downtown.

Comment

Us bush pullers had a great work party today at the pine nursery. There's a few hundred less weeds than yesterday and some monster piles were created. The junipers are all cleaned up along the fairways and some new greens, including the canyon, were completed. All the tees are in decent shape but still need finished with rubber/carpet install scheduled for the next work session on Saturday, March 26 @ 10AM.

Thanks to Ryan Lane, Matt Murphy, Peter Belizi, Steve Corfield, Chris Holly, Nick Wyland, Mike Ward, Mike Garfield, Marcus Crespi, Rachel Benton, John Cornett, and the rest of you that stopped by with your discs.

Comment

You forgot to call me to come out and help with the clean up at Pine Nursery!
                      I did a walk around and it's pretty sweet. I can't wait to play this course daily. Just down the street from me.

Comment

Just wondering... Hole 26 and 27...How far is it over the pond and how deep is the water.

Comment

Maybe not

Originally posted by wildrivers View Post
                          I will be there so you might have 2nd to worst score

Comment

Originally posted by wildphil View Post
                            Just wondering... Hole 26 and 27...How far is it over the pond and how deep is the water.
                            Hole 26 is probably about 450 with safety all down the left side so you can bail out early and stay dry or try to carry the water and get to the pin (may need a skip). Hole 27 is tucked close to the front edge of the water so the safe shot is to throw long and play back towards the pond. 350ish with a layup strip/dropzone that extends about 100 ft. from the tee then carry the water the rest of the way. Weenie arms will have a hard time on this hole, but a little strategy goes a long way. Know your limits and stay dry.

Comment

Originally posted by wildphil View Post
                              I will be there so you might have 2nd to worst score
                              He/she who throws more gets more practice.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X