2011 Beaver State Fling presented by Keen Footwear - June 24-26 Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Bullseye;90349]To make this clear... this is not open for debate for this years event, however I do have a few responses to give you all window in to our train of thought...

OneDarkRebel: That would work, however, it would always give preference to people who have already played the event before. We decided to implement something fair for all amateurs regardless on level of play and history.

QUOTE]

This makes sense, although I would argue that the top 20% of the MA1 field is only 16 people in a field of 80 (referencing last years BSF AM event) and some of those players may have chosen to move to PRO or migrated to Masters, therefore there might only be 10 of those 16 spots that get reserved. AND I did say "for next years BSF", meaning 2012, as the suggestion.
    Victorious warriors win first then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win

Comment

Thank you for your efforts and deliberation in coming up with a fair process. The lottery does give all amateur players the same chance at getting into this prestigious event.

I'm sure it was considered, but if not, it might be worth considering the tiered registration process that is being used for Pros (ratings based), for Amateur players too? This would harvest the most talented field of amateur players. Am I missing an adverse side-effect of deploying that process for amateur registration as well?

Comment

Originally posted by bryan_luoma View Post
        Thank you for your efforts and deliberation in coming up with a fair process. The lottery does give all amateur players the same chance at getting into this prestigious event.

I'm sure it was considered, but if not, it might be worth considering the tiered registration process that is being used for Pros (ratings based), for Amateur players too? This would harvest the most talented field of amateur players. Am I missing an adverse side-effect of deploying that process for amateur registration as well?

We did consider it briefly, but felt it wasn't as fair of an option. Field size constraints have, in years past, already forced us to drop the Intermediate divisions, and we felt we should give every amateur player an equal chance of getting in to the BSF.
        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
          We did consider it briefly, but felt it wasn't as fair of an option. Field size constraints have, in years past, already forced us to drop the Intermediate divisions, and we felt we should give every amateur player an equal chance of getting in to the BSF.
          The perpetual ~900 rated players among us thank you!

Comment

Why

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
            But all that does is fill the division with players who have no chance of winning...making the entry of the lucky few players who's rating actually qualifies them to play in that division, a much easier field to win...

If you are going to drop the MA2 division entirely then if you don't have a PDGA rating of 935 you shouldn't be able to take a spot from a player who does qualify for the division. And while this may not be exactly the same as a tiered entry like the Pro side it will be a better field of players on the AM side.

This is a SuperTour for the AMs, it should reflect that fact. With only MA1 being offered you should at least qualify for the division before you can knock out someone else who does by random draw. I'm throwing my 8-year old's name into the hat for MA1 entry...let's see how well that goes over...

*As always - we are talking about next year's entries and different ways of filling a tourney with way more demand than space.
            Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
            Remain ye men of faculty complete,
            Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
            Attending to our noble bond and contract?
            Or does here stand the last remaining man
            To give a fig for rules and order yet,
            No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
            Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
            Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              The perpetual ~900 rated players among us thank you!
              BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
                Any other Sr. Grandmasters out there?

Bob
                hoping to play grandmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
                  BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

No love for the permanently average?

Comment

Top Players

I've always felt the best players should be playing.
                    Premire events should have premier players. Which might exclude me.
                    The only way I've seen this done in any sport is to qualify by performance.
                    You shouldn't get to play by luck.
                    Don't understand about the out of towners.
                    I've played in the last to worlds by qualifing.
                    Ratings,past champions,pdga victories,tournaments, something should get you their besides luck.
                    So again it is luck.
                    So good luck everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      No love for the permanently average?
                      it took me so long to get above 900 and i still have never qualified to play in the ma1 division.

Comment

You guys sound like kids arguing over who was first in line, it is what it is deal with it or take over and be a tournament director yourself,other then that I think what jeff and jeff are doing is great even though I will not be in this event.Thanks from me for your hard work and effort,It doesn't go unnoticed.
                        PDGA # 31451
                        2 Mini Aces
                        74 Aces
                        PEOPLE WHO HELP ME LOTS IN DISC GOLF
                        DISC GOLF OR DIE
                        BOB CABAL
                        DISCVANGO
                        JEFF ELLIOT
                        G-MAN
                        JORDAN LEWIS
                        JEFF HAGERTY
                        JAMES GARCELON
                        SAM GIBSON

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Comment

As an out-of-town 947ish rated player that would love to play the BSF for the first time, I think the lottery system is fair... it'd be fun if a few 'lottery' winners received special players packs or some sort of prize.
                          No Jub, I'm not thinking along the lines those hideous golf visors circa 1976 that you found at the Good Will, and subsequently pawned off on unsuspecting dgers.
                          Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

This year the idea of seeding divisions by higher ratings seems like a better idea than a free-for-all lottery!

But, I'll play the lottery and have my fingers crossed.

Every one who gets into the BSF is a winner. Thanks TDs.

Comment

This is going to be one long tournament. June 24-46?

Comment

Originally posted by chris7graham View Post
                                You guys sound like kids arguing over who was first in line, it is what it is deal with it or take over and be a tournament director yourself,other then that I think what jeff and jeff are doing is great even though I will not be in this event.Thanks from me for your hard work and effort,It doesn't go unnoticed.
                                You should be reading the PDGA Forum. Dang Haggerty's gonna get us all shot up the way things are going. Them Texans is mad as heck!

Bob

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X